3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N175DA
Airports: KFMN

MFD PFD SD Card Difference?

Post by gtmize »

Excluding the Nav DB which goes into the top slot in MFD ..

The DB's download to the MFD / PFD cards are the same
So these two cards would seem to be interchangeable between the bottom MFD / PFD slots

This came up today when I prepared backup MFD PFD cards
which got me wondering why it matters which card goes into the PFD/MFD slots

Also with the purchase of my plane I received cards to Unlock TAWS & SVS
I haven't used them as I assume these Unlocks sit somewhere in the G1000 Firmware

Thanks
Gary
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: MFD PFD SD Card Difference?

Post by Rick »

The bottom cards may or may not be the same. If you have the 321.23 software version and you are using the G1000 checklists, that checklist file will probably only be on the MFD card (although no harm in having it both places). The other DB information should be the same though.

The top slots do NOT need any cards in them at all. You use the top slots to LOAD the Nav DB each month, but that data is copied internally and then you can remove the top card(s). IF you leave a card in the top MFD slot, it will record parameters about your flights once a second that you can then analyze later using the Reports section of this site (or other sites, too).

Your unlock cards will not be needed unless you do a software upgrade (assuming, of course, Diamond ever releases another version!). If you upgrade, you will need those cards to unlock TAWS and Synthetic Vision again. At least, that's how it worked when I did the upgrade to 321.23 - I suppose a possible future release could behave differently.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

As noted, there's no harm in loading the same database files on both PFD and MFD bottom cards. However, only the MFD needs to have the checklist file (if supported by your G1000 software), and approach charts (i.e., Garmin FliteCharts or Jeppesen ChartView if you choose to subscribe to either of those).

But once you start using the cards, try not to reverse them between PFD and MFD, since each GDU (screen) may write unique data onto each card. Most owners find it helpful to label something like the letter "M" and "P" on each card so they're not mixed up.

(Important note: everything discussed in this thread applies to Legacy G1000 only; G1000 NXi uses bottom card slots completely differently.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Five additional and quick suggestions on this subject:

1) Even though we've all have done this countless times and have committed it to memory, I have found referring to a personalized checklist always makes the process completely failsafe. Especially when you're in a hurry.

2) And part of my checklist has an item for covering up the center console / throttle quadrant with a towel long enough to also include the parking brake, defrost and cabin heat “coin slots”. Have yet to accidentally drop a SD card in any of those areas yet, but came close once. So, the first item on the list is now: “cover center console with towel”

3) Stock up on additional SD cards for your legacy G1000, as these are becoming more difficult to source and these cards can fail at the worst possible time. Like while doing an update, a day or two before a long trip.

4) Buy an inexpensive SD card holder for safe storage, such as this one available on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/YOUKaDa-Memory-W ... r=8-4&th=1

5) With each new cycle, Garmin advises checking for database errors at:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviational ... se-alerts/