4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Re: My ADS-B install

Post by blsewardjr »

Steve- Given your setup with the USB connector accessible, would it be practical to change the tail number for, e.g., an Angel Flight, then change it back to your tail number? If so, is the GDL 8X install tool available on line? I'm looking for a way to change the tail number in my GDL-84 for this purpose. Thanks.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Bernie:

You could change the tail number using the GDL 8X install tool, which is available on line. Not sure of the legality of this.

Steve
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

On newer ADSB out units, e.g., the GTX-345, this is easily done. The problem I'm running into is that according to the FAA's Chief Counsel, you must file and use the tail number that your ASDB broadcasts when you're using ATC services. Thus, those of us who can't change their tail number on their ADSB to the unique Angel Flight tail number/call sign can't fly as an Angel Flight in the IFR system. Not a huge deal -- I still fly Angel Flights -- but I can't identify myself as one and receive upgraded ATC services.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

blsewardjr wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:59 pm On newer ADSB out units, e.g., the GTX-345, this is easily done. The problem I'm running into is that according to the FAA's Chief Counsel, you must file and use the tail number that your ASDB broadcasts when you're using ATC services. Thus, those of us who can't change their tail number on their ADSB to the unique Angel Flight tail number/call sign can't fly as an Angel Flight in the IFR system. Not a huge deal -- I still fly Angel Flights -- but I can't identify myself as one and receive upgraded ATC services.
Some (most? all?) Mode S transponders (of which 1090ES transponders are a superset) have a ready way to set Flight ID to something other than N-number. UAT systems used with Mode S transponders should be slaved to the setting. You will see that for UAT systems anonymous mode is not compatible with Mode S transponders, as you'd be transmitting inconsistent data across the 2 information streams.

If you think about airliners, you will typically see on the traffic display something like "UA3866" arriving into, say, SEATAC. That same aircraft departing a couple of hours later might show as "UA193". My KT74 has ready access to a menu item to change this value. I don't know if UAT systems have this capability. Otherwise why is anonymous mode needed?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Steve »

Just to close it out...

...got my rebate check today. 33 days after I submitted the validation flight.

...and my wife has already spent it! ;)

Steve
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I'm not entirely sure, but during the GTX345R installation there may be an option that can be invoked by the Garmin dealer tech that enables a softkey on the bottom of the PFD for Flight ID to be selected on a per-flight basis by the pilot. (This was true when I installed a GTX33ES with ADS-B Out on my DA42-VI Legacy G1000 -- I could change the Flight ID of the ADS-B transponder at will.) It's probably worth asking your installer if this is possible if your GTX345R hasn't been installed yet.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Post by arksat »

CFIDave wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:45 pm I'm not entirely sure, but during the GTX345R installation there may be an option that can be invoked by the Garmin dealer tech that enables a softkey on the bottom of the PFD for Flight ID to be selected on a per-flight basis by the pilot. (This was true when I installed a GTX33ES with ADS-B Out on my DA42-VI Legacy G1000 -- I could change the Flight ID of the ADS-B transponder at will.) It's probably worth asking your installer if this is possible if your GTX345R hasn't been installed yet.
This is possible by the setup tool. My mechanic asked me if I want to enable this during the installation.
bobgil44
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Bob
Aircraft Registration: N633DS
Airports: KTYS

Post by bobgil44 »

Steve
Where did you buy the
Epoxy
Fiberglass doubler
Copper foil
To install your Comant GPS/VHF antenna
Thanks
Bob
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Steve »

bobgil44 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:08 pm Steve
Where did you buy the
Epoxy
Fiberglass doubler
Copper foil
To install your Comant GPS/VHF antenna
Thanks
Bob
Bob: The Fiberglas doubler is a Diamond part, I ordered it through my local Diamond parts dealer. The epoxy was bought (I think) through SkyGeek. I’m away from home, so I won’t be able to confirm that until I get back. Copper foil ordered from Amazon.

Steve
bobgil44
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Bob
Aircraft Registration: N633DS
Airports: KTYS

Post by bobgil44 »

Thank you Steve
Your info is very helpful.
I must install a duel antenna and GTX345r quickly then take the plane to Embry-Riddle KDAB for my son to fly.He got his IFR rating last Saturday.
How is your engine overhaul going?
Thanks Bob