2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arpad
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N787PV
Airports: KHWD

major fuel probe related issue -- need help

Post by agmolnar »

Hello all,

I am experiencing a major issue that has more or less grounded my DA40 for the past 5-6 months, and resulted in the R/H fuel probe being replaced three times. At the outset (in late November), the plane has an intermittent R/H fuel gauge indication (occasional red-X). As you can imagine, not being able to find the root cause has been exceedingly frustrating, and I am turning to the forum to see if others have experienced the same and if so what was the eventual fix.

Here is the quick write-up from my mechanic:

The original probe was intermittent red "X". We replaced the probe with new 1/14/19, 2199.6.

The first replacement probe was in service until 1/25/19, 2201.4 (1.8 hours), where it became out of range. We found R/H static dischargers INOP based on suggestion from Neil Grant. Replaced both dischargers with new. Replaced probe with new.

The second replacement probe was in service until 3/27/19, 2215.8 (14.4 hours), where it became out of range. We tested bonding / static systems and found no fault. Probe replaced with new.

The third replacement probe was in service until 4/30/19, 2228.2 (12.4 hours). The probe was tested and found to have no output. Wiggling the wire was able to produce an output around 11 hertz, but only momentarily. We were not able to reproduce any hertz output after that. Bonding and static discharge systems normal.

Mechanic thoughts: The original probe was intermittent, but each time it was tested it was found within range. It was replaced based on experience, we encountered the same intermittent failure on another DA40 and replacing the probe solved the issue. Every probe subsequently installed has failed in a different way; two have become out of range and now the last one has no output. If the argument was made that the airframe is taking out the probes, why isn't the failure the same each time? Why was the original probe intermittent, but never out of range? More troubling, why is the current probe hard failing in a way that seems so mechanical?

Thank you all for attention to this-
Arpad
N787PV
2007 DA40.695
Oakland, CA
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: major fuel probe related issue -- need help

Post by Colin »

When my fuel probe failed in my DA40 during the first 100hrs of my ownership it turned out to be water in the fuel tank. Sorting it out required removal of the wing and completely flushing the fuel tank repeatedly with AvGas. Then a new probe was installed, the O-ring on the fuel filler cap was replaced, and it was fine for the next 1,500 hours until I sold the plane.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Post by Karl »

As Colin says water getting into the tanks can cause all kinds of issues with the fuel senders.
As part of an accident investigation on a DA40D we found that a large amount of water can become trapped in the tank which is not easily removable through the normal drain valve. Just to be clear the cause of the accident was not water in the tank.

The bonding system can also cause a lot of issues with fuel senders and avionics systems. Don't just to test the ground for the tanks but carry out the whole airframe bonding test. If any of the readings are getting close to the high end of the limit I would suggest trying to reduce them.

Loose sockets in connection plugs is another classic diamond electrical issue. Gently squeezing the sockets with small pliers to improve the connection can often help. See attached pic.
Attachments
Alt connector 2.png
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Also, it comes to mind, check the crimps where the conductors are attached to the connectors.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Wall-e
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wally
Aircraft Registration: N125HA
Airports: ARW

Post by Wall-e »

I am having a similar fuel probe problem. Third quantity failure in 18 months & looks to be the probe again. A bonding check was done 2 months ago but I don’t know the readings. Have never seen a water issue when performing a fuel sump check so I don’t think that is the issue. Do the new DA40s have the same probe system? I am beginning to think the supplier of the probes may have a quality control issue.
Wally
CFII
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Wall-e wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:57 pm I am having a similar fuel probe problem. Third quantity failure in 18 months & looks to be the probe again. A bonding check was done 2 months ago but I don’t know the readings. Have never seen a water issue when performing a fuel sump check so I don’t think that is the issue. Do the new DA40s have the same probe system? I am beginning to think the supplier of the probes may have a quality control issue.
We have 15 Diamond aircraft here flying 7 days a week and fuel probe issues are not that common so I wouldn't necessarily suspect the manufacturer.
We get a lot more probe issues during monsoon season. When it rains here it really rains. Usual causes are water in the tanks, it doesn't always fix it by just draining off the water. Second most common issue is with the connectors, corroded or loose connections.

I am not sure how much it affects the fuel probe but we are seeing more and more electronic issues like X out items on G1000 and radio interference and have found that it often relates to bonding. Our aircraft are now about 15 years old and nudging 10,000 hrs per aircraft and every flight is over the ocean so corrosion in the bonding system is perhaps higher than the average operator would expect to see.
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Karl -
Good info!
Where are you and the planes based?
Thanks.

(Could you put an airport in your profile?)
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Karl »

jb642DA wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:55 pm Karl -
Good info!
Where are you and the planes based?
Thanks.

(Could you put an airport in your profile?)
We operate from the beautiful island of Langkawi, Malaysia.
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Thanks Karl - Very nice!!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Karl, you got one heck of a runway @ WMKL - 12,500 feet long! Do you get much haze from the seasonal fires there? I used to train/fly out of Seletar (WSSL) in Singapore's tiny domestic airspace. Do you know the WOA folks?