3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Re: Inexpensive DIY solution to GTX345R Bluetooth problem - with pics

Post by BkFlyer »

smoss wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:38 pm Adam, did you also RTV the mini antenna to the transponder? I am a bit concerned that if you do such, and ever need to repair/swap the transponder, Garmin may have an issue taking it as a swap with a mucked up / tampered with, sticker there. Probably a non-issue, but you never know. Also, why is everyone putting it on the right side?
It’s not a problem. As Chris pointed out in an earlier post the choice of RTV silicon was because it is removable. Actually, my first attempt at positioning the antenna was unsuccessful. I removed the silicon entirely with 2 minutes of careful peeling. I didn’t poke a hole in the label like the one you can see in other photos.
smoss wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:38 pm Wouldn't it make more sense to put it on the left, closer to the pilot?
The main reason that antenna is on the right side is to keep it out of the way. It’s fairly long and baggage can snag it. Also it is not obvious in the photos- there is not much line of sight down the sides of the cabin (due to air vents). The signal path here is diagonal from the right rear to front left (where my iPad is suction mounted to the canopy). Even if I hold the iPad there is still line of sight to the antenna.

If you find a good place to mount it on the pilot side definitely share that!
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Thanks Adam. My reason for thinking the pilot side would be better is that I typically load of my luggage in the forward part of the right side first, with typically less on the left side, where I keep my chocks, etc., and a big bag on the front right would totally block the antenna.
Steve
DA40 XL
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

The 345's BT signal strength must be truly feeble to need this kind of extra massaging. Here's an experiment I ran today:

I was listening to La Traviata while riding my bike to the airport. This is from a recording on my iPhone, sitting in my pocket. This iPhone was streaming the music to my Garmin 590 which is mounted on the steering bridge atop the bike front forks. In turn, the Garmin streams it to the Sena headset built into my helmet. This is all Bluetooth, of course.

I parked the bike in front of the hangar, opening the door just enough to let me in, as I was dropping a RAM component off in the hangar. I left the bike turned on, the music continuing to play. I kept my helmet on and the iPhone in my pocket, continuing to listen to the recording, uninterrupted, as I walked around the airplane to the back of the hangar to place the RAM component into a file drawer back there. At this point there is a BT signal traveling about 40 ft. between my phone and the bike, and another signal between the bike and my helmet, both signals passing through the entire length of the airplane fuselage as well as covering the distance. The music never cut out, even when the steel hangar door was between the bike and myself.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by smoss »

Anyone see any problem using this antenna https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076S ... UTF8&psc=1 instead of the Microchip brand one suggested above? It needs a different adapter, but otherwise looks pretty similar, and available on Amazon prime. The only significant difference is 2 dBi gain vs 0.56 dB gain for the one posted above.
Steve
DA40 XL
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by smoss »

I finally did the Bluetooth fix using the micro-antenna above, a 3 meter SMA RP cord, the 9 dBi Amazon antenna, and an appropriate adapter, all purchased from Amazon Prime. I ended up attaching the long antenna via small zip ties to the cargo net holder, and a tiny piece of safety wire I made into a J, attached under a washer on the trim bolt, and put through a piece of silicone cling wrap around the top of the antenna (the antenna was slightly too short to just zip tie directly). The micro antenna I zip-tied onto a small piece of plastic which I then 2-sided taped onto the GTX, next to the sticker. Everything is stable. I tried fervently to get a Bluetooth signal program to work, but couldn't get the transponder to show up on either an Android BLE scanner program, or an iPad one. Every other phone and iPad in the plane did show up. Despite that, I can report that I flew 4 hours with it, with a big luggage back sitting directly next to and in front of it, and my Bluetooth stayed connected the whole time. Previously, it would drop connection multiple times per flight, and take a minute or so to reconnect. So empirically, it is a success! Anyone with suggestions on how to get a scanner program to work to show the GTX?
Attachments
IMG_1388.JPG
Steve
DA40 XL
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Here is my solution to mounting the antenna with two zip ties. Really easy install.

(Sorry the photos are rotated - don’t know how to fix that :scratch: )
Attachments
FA253B9B-7464-421C-B06E-92B8CFF997E6.jpeg
BBE5EC49-912C-48F8-A952-B44EB9F39B75.jpeg
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

Post by curts63 »

After having the GTX345R installed, I wanted to see if the tablet would connect? I opened the tablet settings, made sure bluetooth was on. Opened the program, clicked on the option for the 345, tablet saw the device. I tapped to connect, but no pairing. Is it possible that the pairing isn't turned on? If so, how does someone get it turned on?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

curts63 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:51 am After having the GTX345R installed, I wanted to see if the tablet would connect? I opened the tablet settings, made sure bluetooth was on. Opened the program, clicked on the option for the 345, tablet saw the device. I tapped to connect, but no pairing. Is it possible that the pairing isn't turned on? If so, how does someone get it turned on?
Based solely on my experience with the FS210, look for a setup page for the GTX where pairings are shown. In the case of the FS, this put it into pairing mode. And it took a bit (10-ish seconds?) for the pairing prompts to appear.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Post by arksat »

curts63 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:51 am After having the GTX345R installed, I wanted to see if the tablet would connect? I opened the tablet settings, made sure bluetooth was on. Opened the program, clicked on the option for the 345, tablet saw the device. I tapped to connect, but no pairing. Is it possible that the pairing isn't turned on? If so, how does someone get it turned on?
Curt,

GTX345R is always in paring mode. So once you tapped the GTX name on the tablet's Bluetooth setting page, your tablet will be paired and ready to use.

There is a maximum number of tablets/phones that GTX can register. I don't recall but up to 5 devices or so. Once you reached to this limit you will no longer able to register more devices. You'll need Garmin Pilot app to remove the registered device. The Garmin Pilot app has GTX configuration feature that is available without subscription so you don't have to pay to use this feature. In the Garmin Pilot, there's Connext config page where you can deregister the paired tablets/phones. Also you can see the GTX version, GPS status, etc.

Hope this helps.
wmbjenkins
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: William
Aircraft Registration: N379DS
Airports: KFDW KSGJ

Post by wmbjenkins »

I too have the problem indicated in this thread with a new 345R in a 2008 XLS. I am considering the solution outlined here, but was curious whether anyone has tried putting the antenna under the left seat? This would be closer and out of the way...