3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Re: Where is the ELT Antenna

Post by gordsh »

Thanks every one this has been extremely valuable information for me. I am not sure I can get to the ELT easily but I will try the next time I am in the airplane. Rick thanks very much for the picture.
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Rick wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:50 pm
pietromarx wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:37 am... The DA-40 has the ELT behind and under the baggage compartment. The antenna is usually thin as the entire thing is meant to be portable in case you need to take it with you away from the airplane itself. This begs the question of what happens if you want to grab the ELT when you also have the AC installed.
Attached to the side of the ELT bracket is also a portable antenna, in case you do want to use the ELT away from the airplane, as you mentioned. It is visible in the picture on the lower right side of the ELT.
I always found the portable antenna amusing there, as considering what a pain it is to get way back there to remove the ELT for the annual check, I couldn't imagine after a crash realistically removing the avionics bay cover to retrieve it, and the functional ELT check works just fine with no antenna attached at all.
Steve
DA40 XL
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Update: My original question was posed to me by a Transport Canada Examiner during my PPL Practical Examination.

I passed the PPL Examination and am now am licensed Pilot...Woo Hoo almost 18 months later.

I did not want to say too much in the forum after asking the original question as my PPL exam was spread over 2 days and I did not want to jeopardize day 2. I had the ground session on day #1 and due to bad weather we completed day #2 on another day.

Yes- the examiner knew exactly where the ELT Antenna was.....I did not. So a small warning to any one doing a Canadian PPL Exam in a DA40...remember the ELT antenna is not on the exterior of the aircraft. Most of you probably already knew this based on the forum feed back but I am not ashamed to admit I had no clue. There are so many antennas on my aircraft since the ADS-B and Avidyne Traffic update that is looks like a TV Transmission Station.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Congrats on your PPL! Now, do you know where the VOR antenna is? ;)

Steve
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

VOR? What is a VOR??? :scratch:
Steve
DA40 XL
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

For Flight Reviews I'm sometimes asked to describe what each antenna is for, including the now essentially useless Market Beacon. And of course there are 4 functions in mine supplied by hidden antennae. Some of you have even more.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

That Market Beacon is critical when you are landing hungry and need to find the nearest one.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)