3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N446SB
Airports: KPIE KTHA

Real A/C in my DA40

Post by Ultrapilot1 »

This has always been a hot topic (pardon my pun) and I could not bear another summer in Florida without air but was unwilling to spend $30K. I purchased an Arctic Air Real A/C 10,000 BTU twin 400 CFM fans. It fits perfectly behind the rear seats, bumping up against the seatbelt reels which pass over the top of the unit. I installed "temporary" #6 wiring cable from the battery (through an inline 60A circuit breaker) to the rear ending in a military style 2 pin connector. The condensate line goes out the belly and the twin 4" exhausts exit through the back wall into the tail. The only "modification" to the plane was the replacement of the alternator with a Plane Power 150A model which has an STC for the Diamond DA40. I mounted the thermostat on the instrument panel with double sided tape next to the cigarette lighter socket. The weight of the unit is 49.6lbs. I used turnbuckles to the handles from the cargo net tie downs to prevent the unit from moving and put it in a 2-1/2" deep plastic tray just in case there was any water backup or sweating since the avionics are under the floor. I am attaching some photos of the install. There are louvers that go on top but weren't yet on the unit when i took the photos. I can remove and install the entire system in less than 10 mins.
Attachments
IMG_0985.JPG
IMG_1003.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_0997.JPG
trepine
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gilman
Aircraft Registration: N820AM
Airports: KSDL

Re: Real A/C in my DA40

Post by trepine »

That’s awesome. I’ve been tempted to do that very thing. I live in AZ so 30-40% of the year it’s nearly impossible to fly after 9 am. A couple questions.

1) What was the total cost?

2) Any worries about blowing hot air into the tail section of the plane.

3) Did you have to drill a hole for the condensation line. Can you show a picture how it exists the airplane.

4) Is 10,000 BTW overkill for a small aircraft. My airstream is 33 ft and has a 2 15k BTU, but we usually only run on one unless it’s really hot.

5) Where did u buy it, i can’t seem to find it online.

Thanks for your post.
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Post by BRS »

40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Ultrapilot1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Ultrapilot1 »

Brock posted the company's website but I purchased my unit (Model RAC400-2-24 this has the louvers on top and is 24V) from Arizona Flight Training http://www.airfreddy.com. His price is $4519.95 and includes shipping. The company website is $4750 + $75 for shipping. You can also buy it from Sporty's. I had no problem buying from Fred. He just passes the order to the factory and they drop ship for him. The alternator came from Aircraft Spruce p/n ALT-FX-7-FR (Spruce #07-19193) at $1528, no tax, no shipping charge. I probably spent another $200 or so on misc. connectors, wire, circuit breaker, turnbuckles etc. I can prepare a list of parts, part numbers and suppliers if needed as well as specific little issues during the install. Email me at vaila3@protonmail.com if needed. As for the exhaust into the tail, it is on the rear of the bulkhead so won't affect the avionics and just blows out the tail. The temperature is not any hotter than our summer temps. When I get a chance I can measure it. The condensate line went out through a small hole drilled under the floor on the Pilot side of the plane. I cut the hose on a bias to create a low pressure area. I caulked around it to prevent it from moving.
Attachments
Hole in corner for condensate line.jpg
floor under baggage.jpg
Ultrapilot1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Ultrapilot1 »

Gilman: As for the size. I was concerned about the amount of heat load produced by our canopy and side windows and noting the lack of window tinting I leaned toward the 10,000 BTU twin fan unit. I checked with Premier and their Cabin Cool is 10,000 BTU. I have a friend who bought the 5000 BTU to cool a Van's RV10 and he said it could not keep it cool enough. Cost wise it was just a few hundred more than the smaller unit and the 50# weight was really not much considering our baggage capacity of 140#. I generally put my luggage in the back seat and rarely fly with more than 2 people so my decision was an easy one. Most of my local $100 hamburger flying is 1500 - 2500 ft so the summer 94 degree heat and humidity just killed the fun of flying for me. My motto: "FLY MORE, DRIVE LESS".
trepine
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gilman
Aircraft Registration: N820AM
Airports: KSDL

Post by trepine »

oh, that’s funny. Fred was my CFI, and does my biennials, I had no idea he was selling AC’s

Im sure if the 5K unit wasn’t enough for the vans here in AZ where we spend weeks at 110+ it would be too wimpy for sure.
Ultrapilot1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Ultrapilot1 »

He actually gave me a Black Friday deal and knocked a few hundred off sonask him
Kurt h
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kurt
Aircraft Registration: N278CM
Airports: KEFD

Post by Kurt h »

Not to be a Debbie Downer but since you posted it to a forum is this legal owner maintenance per the FARs?
Kurt
2004 DA40.391
Ultrapilot1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Ultrapilot1 »

The project was supervised and assisted by my A&P. He is also needed to install and sign off on the alternator replacement.
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

I had a question about the condensate hole drilled under the pilot's seat, but I just looked at the company's web site and saw the following:
Condensation is routed from inside the unit thru a condensation disposal hose and collected in a reservoir of your choice placed on the outside of the unit. The accumulated condensation can then be disposed of when the aircraft is parked. Also, the condensation disposal hose can be routed through a drain hole in the bottom of the aircraft allowing the condensation to be removed continuously during flight.
Apparently, the condensate can be collected and disposed of post-flight. Do you have any idea of how much would collect over 3-4 hours? While the drain you mentioned seems to be a superior solution, does it constitute a modification to the airframe that requires any approval or sign off?

Sandy