5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Real A/C in my DA40

Post by Steve »

There are several drain holes in the fuselage belly as delivered. It might be possible to utilize one of these pre-existing holes to route the drain line.
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

Update - received email from PlanePower:

Great upgrade and we can support the power generation side. We do offer a 28 volt/150 amp capacity alternator kit that is STC’d for the DA40. Our recommended kit number is ALT-FLX-7 as I believe the engine used in the DA40 is a Lycoming IO-360-M1A. This engine would be a boss mount configuration supported by the -7 kit. I have linked the appropriate STYC and installation instructions for your review. https://planepower.aero/wp-content/uplo ... 000-PP.pdf

Original Comment
Hello - I am looking into this same install. I do not see a 150A alternator at Plane Power or Spruce for the DA40. Tried the part number at Spruce and not popping up. On Plane Power's site they only show a 60A (which is 10 less than stock). They have a 150A alternator but they say only for IO 550 size engines which appears to be a gear driven rather than pulley driven alternator. Any suggestions appreciated.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles K »

Just ordered mine (10K BTU as well) - from Arizona Flight Training. His price is $4519.95 and includes shipping. And it was another $200 off for Christmas through 12/15. So total 4319.95 and free shipping. Not too bad. Also having Plane Power 150A alternator installed. Thanks for this post and I will keep you all posted. It is going in the same time as my WAAS upgrade in mid January.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
Ultrapilot1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Registration: N446SB
Airports: KPIE KTHA

Post by Ultrapilot1 »

Let me know if you have any problems and I’ll be happy to help.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I understand the conditioned air is being re-circulated within the cabin -- all of the available A/C systems work that way including Diamond's built-in and Premier's Cabin Cool.

But for the heat exchanger, with the two pipes/hoses exiting into the rear fuselage right next to each other, how do you ensure that the hot air exhaust within the rear fuselage doesn't get sucked right back into the system intake pipe? (Diamond's built-in system has external air vents on the top and bottom of the fuselage to keep them apart.) Doesn't that hurt efficiency?
Last edited by CFIDave on Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Ultrapilot1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Registration: N446SB
Airports: KPIE KTHA

Post by Ultrapilot1 »

I am not an engineer so I can only speak from my own experience and personal knowledge. When flying there is definitely a suction in the tailcone. I’ve never measured it but as far as affecting the efficiency Of the air conditioner it does not appear to have any effect my AC is certainly working fine. Are use it on the ground while waiting my turn for departure here in Florida and I also use it at low altitudes. About 4000 feet I don’t find a need for it. It’s been a godsend!
JAV
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: JAV
Aircraft Registration: N278CM
Airports: KHWO

Post by JAV »

My first post, but it is very important for everyone considering the 150 amp STC.
Once you install it, check you clearance between the Positive post from the Alternator and the air duct.
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles K »

Thanks for that. Will alert my shop to that fact. Did you have any issues with yours?
Charles
KCCR Based
JAV
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: JAV
Aircraft Registration: N278CM
Airports: KHWO

Post by JAV »

Yes I did. if you like send me PM and we can discuss.
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles K »

Both those pipes are exhaust. The larger unit he installed (and I am installing) has two cabin fans and two exhaust fans. Intake is from the grill in the front of the unit just aft of the back seats.
CFIDave wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:16 pm I understand the conditioned air is being re-circulated within the cabin -- all of the available A/C systems work that way including Diamond's built-in and Premier's Cabin Cool.

But for the heat exchanger, with the two pipes/hoses exiting into the rear fuselage right next to each other, how do you ensure that the hot air exhaust within the rear fuselage doesn't get sucked right back into the system intake pipe? (Diamond's built-in system has external air vents on the top and bottom of the fuselage to keep them apart.) Doesn't that hurt efficiency?
Charles
KCCR Based