Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

CD-155 Temporary power loss

Post by Keith M »

I've just received the attached service letter from Technify warning that several temporary power losses of 3-6 seconds duration have been reported, the majority shortly after take-off. Suggested actions to minimize this risk are:
  1. Make sure that the fuel is sufficiently drained prior to the flight and that the fuel is drained at all draining points. Refer to the applicable AFM / POH for the correct draining procedure.
  2. Allow the engine to warm-up according to the procedure as described in the applicable AFM / POH resp. OM-02-02, Chapter 4.3.
  3. Additionally perform the following steps afterwards:
    Run the engine 60 seconds at 70% load and
    Run the engine 30 seconds at 90% load.
This hasn't affected me yet, but better safe than sorry.
Attachments
SL_TMG_125-1005-Temporary_Power_Loss-Initial_Issue.pdf
(481.3 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: CD-155 Temporary power loss

Post by Colin »

Run the engine 60 seconds at 70% load and
Run the engine 30 seconds at 90% load.
Before EVERY takeoff?

No likey.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Keith M »

Agreed. I hope they resolve this issue quickly, if only because there are cheaper ways to test the brakes!
PIERRELFAI
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pierre
Aircraft Registration: FHRLE
Airports: LFAI

Post by PIERRELFAI »

Hi keith
With our CD 155 we faced just after take off this loss power 2 times in the last 3 month , during the last 100 h visit , our mecanic found excessive contamination in the filter before the HI Pump , we was very surprised as we drained very well before flight and use Jet A exclusively . We never noted same problem with our CD 135 in the past , so hope Technify will found a real solution
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Keith M »

Hi Pierre, that must have been seriously alarming and, having got away with an EFATO with my CD-135, I don't think I would have the confidence to risk a recurrence if it had happened to me. My aircraft is in for its annual now, so it'll be interesting to hear what the state of its fuel filter is.
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

My confidence level and trust in my plane would be totally loss if I experienced power loss after take off for 3-6 seconds.
To me this is totally unacceptable and I would ground my plane.
For now I will stick with my time proven Lycombing 360. Just sayin.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

C'mon, Don, 3 to 6 seconds is a good amount of time to practice your checklist, think about the things that are important to you, contemplate whether you put on clean underwear that morning...

I barely survive when a SINGLE cylinder misses a beat. I had a hiccup on one of TWO engines the other day and had to practice calm breathing the remainder of a fifteen minute trip. Hours of boredom (and beauty) punctuated by minutes of terror. Or 3-6 seconds.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

Colin wrote:C'mon, Don, 3 to 6 seconds is a good amount of time to practice your checklist, think about the things that are important to you, contemplate whether you put on clean underwear that morning...

I barely survive when a SINGLE cylinder misses a beat. I had a hiccup on one of TWO engines the other day and had to practice calm breathing the remainder of a fifteen minute trip. Hours of boredom (and beauty) punctuated by minutes of terror. Or 3-6 seconds.
Your words above are absolutely right on. That said, in my over 1700 hours logged in Diamond Stars, I can think of hearing the Lycombing hiccup in level flight two or three times. Each time, without even thinking about it, my right hand reflex turned on the fuel pump. But on my left side, my heart missed a beat or two. Yep... I know the feeling.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Keith M »

PIERRELFAI wrote:Hi keith
With our CD 155 we faced just after take off this loss power 2 times in the last 3 month , during the last 100 h visit , our mecanic found excessive contamination in the filter before the HI Pump , we was very surprised as we drained very well before flight and use Jet A exclusively . We never noted same problem with our CD 135 in the past , so hope Technify will found a real solution
Hi Pierre, I've been informed that my filter is clean. Like you, I take great care to drain any crud out of the tanks before flight, so I wonder if your contamination is due to the state of the fuel hoses. Mine were due for replacement next year, but as the wings had to be removed for the current service, I've asked for them to be replaced now. When were yours last replaced?
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Keith M »

Hopefully, this announcement from Technify means that they've found and fixed the problem, which I never experienced:
We inform you that we have just released an improved FADEC software. This software was especially developed to improve the combustion process under full power conditions. At the same time this software will significantly reduce the probability of engine vibrations / short power loss at full power reported by some airplane operators.

We strongly recommend installing this software to all listed engine variants (version 2 engines) at the earliest convenience, or at the next scheduled maintenance.