3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

GPU for DA40NG

Post by Pehu »

I am looking to purchase a ground power unit (GPU) for my DA40NG.

I was referred to this one:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... wersup.php

It looks good, but on the specs it says "Not for battery charging."

I was under impression, that if I hook up the power unit to the airplane (with the connector on the bottom of the plane), it charges the battery. That's not happening?

The shop has another product:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/el ... r24ces.php

Which says its ok to the battery charging.

Any suggestions for a good GPU? I don't need it to help with startup, but it would be good that it can charge the battery (if needed) and power the avionics for upgrades/setup etc
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Re: GPU for DA40NG

Post by chili4way »

I was considering the same idea. The feedback I got from my Diamond dealer was that typically GPUs end up unused in storage (after initial use). They suggested it's better to start the engine and burn 0.5 GPH JET-A if you want to play with the avionics for an extended period. They also explained that the battery stays charged with regular flying and is strong enough to handle database updates without a GPU or starting the engine. If you end up getting one, I'll be interested to know how (and how often) you are using it. I'm going to see about borrowing one.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I have one of these Quick Charge units I bought years ago from Aircraft Spruce; it lets you charge the battery through the plane's standard GPU port.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/apu.php

It has a switch on its panel that converts it between charger and GPU. When in battery charging mode, I pull the battery circuit breaker on the DA40 panel so that everything downstream from the battery (including G1000) is disconnected, thus isolating the battery.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

Thanks for the feedback. Currently I have one that can be loaned, but that stays in the hangar the AC is located. I was considering one extra lighter unit for travel purposes (not sure if one is ever needed on a longer XC as a back up power unit in case something happens) or if I take the plane to a fly-in, where visitors usually want to see the G1000 powered for a longer period of time. I cannot loan the unit in the hangar, as they have 5 other diamonds in there and the maintenance org.

I use the ground power unit always when updating the plane's navigation databases.

Maybe I am just too cautious... I just hate to see myself stranded in Germany, long way from home, if there is issue with the battery ;)

The reality might be, that I use one only once per month but maybe I should consider one as a cheap insurance for the peace of mind? :mrgreen:
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

CFIDave wrote:I have one of these Quick Charge units I bought years ago from Aircraft Spruce; it lets you charge the battery through the plane's standard GPU port.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/apu.php

It has a switch on its panel that converts it between charger and GPU. When in battery charging mode, I pull the battery circuit breaker on the DA40 panel so that everything downstream from the battery (including G1000) is disconnected, thus isolating the battery.
I assume you got the three-pin version? Also ... does it automatically start the avionics or do you need to some hockery to get it to trigger given that the APU port doesn't draw power without a trigger?

Thanks much
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Yup, got 3-pin version. And automatically starts avionics when powered up.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI