4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N633DC
Airports: KJGG

Re: Will It Fit?

Post by Joey »

That is a great solution. I have a 42 ft hangar and it is tough to push back inside solo.
Joey Ritchie
DA40 XLS 40.940
JGG Williamsburg VA
ZAV
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

Post by ZAV »

creativewebz wrote:I made tracks for my plane on hinges that flip out to guide the plane into the hanger, and flip them closed to close the door. It is practically impossible to hit the wing along as you have the mains in the track!
That’s a great solution. I’ve been trying several ideas but I like this one. What are the dimensions of the rails? 2x2 strips.
creativewebz
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Grant
Aircraft Registration: N415DS
Airports: KHSV

Post by creativewebz »

yes 2x2. I used a 4x4 and cut that to make the strips. then just used some ply-would for the bottom. I had the rails go as far back as i want the plane to go and put stops on the end, then i brought it forward to the door, and put hinges to flip out so i could have the plane in the tracks prior to the wings being close to the door.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Although I don't need them, these rails look like a good solution for the smaller hangar situations. Were I in that situation, though, I'd have to consider how to deal with the fact that I occasionally put my plane on jacks for various reasons. The rails being in place complicate the act of positioning the jacks, but could probably be dealt with.

But when jacking up the plane, the surface of the mains do not go straight up. They slide inward along the hangar floor as the airframe is raised until finally all the weight has been removed, then they travel up from that point. When lowering the plane back down, they go straight down and plant there, the result being the distance between the mains is not what it normally is. The distance change is substantial, each main slides about a tire-width inward, and they would no longer be within in these rails. As the plane is moved out they do roll/skid into place within a couple of feet, though I haven't really quantified this.

The solution to this would seem to be to not have the inside rails go all the way to the termination point but leave a few feet before the start of the inner rails. In fact, perhaps the inner rails aren't really necessary at all.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Registration: N239DS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Steven »

We have a hangar door opening just shy of 40'. We use a floor-mounted winch and painted lines on the ground.
40flyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N418AM
Airports: 6D6

Post by 40flyer »

Grant,
Moving to Colorado I am likely going to have to fit in a 40’ hangar vs my nice 44’ one here in Michigan, so I’m interested in your solution. I have these questions:
1) how are the boards hinged? It’s not clear from the picture. Do they flip up or sideways?
2) how do you keep the mains from trying to roll up on the boards? Do you just have to be very careful directing in with the nosewheel?
3) I presume once it’s in the hangar you either have to walk under the wing or over it next to the door?

Don