3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Re: Jeppen vs. Garmin nav data

Post by midlifeflyer »

It doesn't matter to most people, but one substantive difference deals with ILS OR LOC instrument approaches. The Jepp database used by Garmin does not include the LOC specific stepdown waypoints on the final approach segment. The Garmin database has them as separate ILS and LOC approaches. It's a Garmin choice based in part in the Jepp database coverage and size, not a problem with the Jepp database itself,

I came across this one when another CFI wanted a student to do a LOC approach in training and was "missing" waypoints, a little reasearch disclosed the answer.
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Post by vontresc »

Ugh, I just wanted to see what the pricing was for Jepp vs Garmin DB updates. I am the maintenance officer for out club and wanted to do a price check. Lo and behold Jeppesen makes you F***cking call them!!!! No price list or online ordering on their website. It is 2019 no 1989.

Guess We'll stick with Garmin a bit longer.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

So I recently switch from Jepp to Garmin nav data, and haven't had any problems. Until last week. I was returning to my home airport (KROA) which has multiple approaches to 3 different runways, and discovered that I was missing 2 approaches from the G1000! One has always been missing - the RNAV Y 24 approach is on the list of approaches that will not load until the base GDU software is updated to 15.00 or later. But... the VOR/DME-A approach was also missing, and that has always been there before (at least, before I switch to Garmin - I can't say I looked for it since then). Has anyone else run into this problem - missing approaches that aren't on the Garmin list of approaches that won't load because they end with a "visual segment"?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

So I am still trying to get this resolved with Garmin. So far, they have no explanation why the VOR/DME-A approach into KROA is missing from my G1000. It was always there when I was using Jeppesen data, but the Garmin guy says maybe the approach has changed in some way and is no longer loadable by our "old" G1000 software. I doubt that is the case though.

I have a request for someone who is still using the Jeppesen data - the next time you are in your DA40, could you please look at the approaches for KROA and see if you have a VOR/DME-A approach available to load? I would really appreciate that information! :bow
Roanoke, VA (KROA)