3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

TAWS Alerts gone since ADSB upgrade

Post by gordsh »

Since my ADSB and Avidyne TAS 605 install at the factory I no longer hear the TAWS Alerts that I have become used to such as the "TAWS System Test Ok" alert on start up and the "Five Hundred" call out when landing.

Is it possible that these could have been disabled?

Does any one know how to troubleshoot this or test TAWS while on the ground?

I have sent a message to the factory team but they are so busy these days that I don't expect to hear from the quickly.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Re: TAWS Alerts gone since ADSB upgrade

Post by pietromarx »

Did you re-enable the functionality with the special SD card that is tied to your airframe?

If you are hearing terrain system test OK then the TAWS version is not enabled.

Perhaps it was disabled during the installation? (Did you update the version?)
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

I know that the factory upgraded the G1000 databases but not sure about the software version, I will check on that. I did some research from the Max Trescott's G1000 Book and it points out that I should be able to do a manual TAWS test on the ground which on completion should generate the famous "TAWS System Test OK" message. I will check that first thing today before I fly. The book also says there is a "Inhibit TAWS" feature that turns off the TAWS which I will also check.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

you should have a card that reloads the TAWS software. If you lost it your avionics shop can get another one after proving to Garmin that your aircraft is equipped.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

gordsh wrote:I know that the factory upgraded the G1000 databases but not sure about the software version, I will check on that. I did some research from the Max Trescott's G1000 Book and it points out that I should be able to do a manual TAWS test on the ground which on completion should generate the famous "TAWS System Test OK" message. I will check that first thing today before I fly. The book also says there is a "Inhibit TAWS" feature that turns off the TAWS which I will also check.
The inhibit is only for that powered-up time; it goes back to normal when you power down the G1000.

The software has to be enabled. They had to reconfigure it a bit when they did the GTX-345R install and probably blew out the enabled features. If you have the Jeppesen charts, SVT, or TAWS then those functionalities have to be re-enabled with the special SD cards.
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Yes, you are all correct, the TAWS page which is apparently a part of the MAPS subpage does not even show up any more. I think they did not re-enable it. Also Jepp charts are missing (even though I dont use them at this time). I will either have to take the plane back or have them walk me through it remotely