5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Re: Amsafe SOARS airbag seat belt system

Post by Chris »

Mert wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:55 pmDoes anyone know if there is a possibility of a waiver or some other method of making it legal to fly while waiting for parts and install??
Maybe try contacting somebody from AmSafe for clarification? I see the following in one of their installation manuals, but I don't know if it applies to the DA40 installation:
AmSafe wrote:NOTE:The EMA, inflator assembly LRU/Inflator cable interface and cable interface assembly are not required equipment for the aircraft. Thus, the inflatable restraint system assem-bly may be used without the EMA, inflator assembly LRU/Inflator cable interface and cable interface assembly. Aircraft owners or operators should follow their procedure to placard the affected components as inoperable and may use SOARS as a restraint. How-ever, all components of SOARS should be made operable as soon as possible.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Mert:
This has been a major issue for DA40 (and other aircraft owners) with AmSafe seatbelt airbag systems. Solutions include either:

1. Having the A&P/IA disconnect the inflator and placard the seatbelt airbags inoperative, while awaiting 4-6 weeks for the AmSafe parts to arrive. Obviously the seat belts still work just fine with inflators inoperative.

OR

2. Replacing the entire AmSafe seatbelt airbag system with new manual belts, thus eliminating the need to wait for parts now, or again in another 7 years. We've done this with many 2007+ DA40s that we've purchased for resale because it's often cheaper than ordering (and waiting for) the AmSafe replacement parts.

However many A&P/IAs are uncomfortable with Option 1, and in the Washington DC/Northern VA area where we live there's an FAA safety inspector located at the FAA Dulles area FSDO who has told at least one maintenance shop at KHEF that Option 2 is not legal -- since the airframe manufacturer hasn't provided a Service Bulletin explaining how to remove the AmSafe system -- even though it was originally added to the DA40 via a Supplemental Type Certificate, and is not tied to Diamond's DA40 aircraft Type Certificate (this first surfaced when trying to replace AmSafe seatbelts on a C172 with an STC). A solution to this may be to go "FSDO shopping" by installing manual seatbelts at a maintenance shop located outside of the Dulles FSDO.

It's a shame that AmSafe replacement parts are so expensive and they never seem to have them in stock.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Scottsware
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N343SG
Airports: KAPA

Post by Scottsware »

Hi Mert,

Did your shop mention a price for parts? I’m having mine done soon and I'll post the price when I find out for sure.

Thanks,
Scott
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Post by Davestation »

I printed four inop stickers today. Three months since the last order and not even an ETA yet. The struggle is real.
Scottsware
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N343SG
Airports: KAPA

Post by Scottsware »

Any news? My mechanic hasn’t been able acquire the parts yet.
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

I had my Amsafe airbag inflators replaced this week. Attached is the logbook entry, which I believe provides the requisite part numbers. Crazy expensive (~US$5000, total) and not particularly gratifying, but it's completed.
Wayne
DA40-airbag-inflators.png
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Wow Wayne, that cost sounds crazy! A whole new SOARS system retails for $2,580 for both sides. Was that 1,000 for parts and 4,000 for shipping and labor?
Steve
DA40 XL
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

smoss wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:00 pm Wow Wayne, that cost sounds crazy! A whole new SOARS system retails for $2,580 for both sides. Was that 1,000 for parts and 4,000 for shipping and labor?
Indeed, crazy expensive. It's only a couple hours labor, so vast majority is parts.
Wayne McClelland
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
haykinson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ilya
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N724LA
Airports: KSMO

Post by haykinson »

I saw that price last year and balked, and am about to go in for an annual and repeat the same sticker shock most likely. Apparently the old part numbers (that were $280 a pop) are no longer available or installable. Did you consider installing a brand new system instead, if it's cheaper to maintain?
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Ilya, I guess I didn't realize that a brand new system was an option, nor of course how much that might cost.
Wayne McClelland