2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Victor
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N739DS
Airports: KPAO

Re: ADSB Out - skyBeacon is now available for order

Post by DA40KPAO »

Rich wrote:
BillWhite wrote:I am considering this option also for my DA-40. I realize position lights at required equipment for night operation but must you have forward and rear facing lights? Most aircraft just have forward facing.
Look more carefully. The white rear position light(s) may not be on the wingtips, but there will be one on the tail.

Ref: FAR Part 23.1385
Ok. I finally got a response back from uAvionix. Unfortunately, this will NOT be a solution for the DA40s... :(

The key issue is the rear position light which is a requirement for the DA40s...
BAA
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Perry
Aircraft Registration: N209A
Airports: KSGJ

Post by BAA »

Recently spoke with Hayden at uAvionics in detail about the prospect of a skybeacon-like device for the series 600 (?) Whalen lights that are on DA40, Cirrus Sr20/22, and many other certified a/c. He said he was very interested in this cohort of aircraft but said it would likely be Q1 2019 before any new product lines can be started. We exchanged some prototype drawings of the device that I had made for uAvionics. I would say if there is interest from our group, now is a terrific time for us and COPA to start discussions with the company. I couldn’t provide any numbers as far as how many potential airframes are out there with the DA40 - style Whelen lights, but I’m sure someone in the forum can.
His email:
hayden@uavionix.com
DA40KPAO
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Victor
Aircraft Registration: N739DS
Airports: KPAO

Post by DA40KPAO »

BAA wrote:Recently spoke with Hayden at uAvionics in detail about the prospect of a skybeacon-like device for the series 600 (?) Whalen lights that are on DA40, Cirrus Sr20/22, and many other certified a/c. He said he was very interested in this cohort of aircraft but said it would likely be Q1 2019 before any new product lines can be started. We exchanged some prototype drawings of the device that I had made for uAvionics. I would say if there is interest from our group, now is a terrific time for us and COPA to start discussions with the company. I couldn’t provide any numbers as far as how many potential airframes are out there with the DA40 - style Whelen lights, but I’m sure someone in the forum can.
His email:
hayden@uavionix.com
Thanks. If there's a firm commitment from uAvionics and date, I would be game. I don't want to be in a situation around Q4 2019 where I'm forced to scramble to get ADSB for my plane.

If enough of us owners of Diamond and Cirrus can do a group buy, maybe it would be a great solution?
BAA
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Perry
Aircraft Registration: N209A
Airports: KSGJ

Post by BAA »

I will f/u with them in October and post an update. Personally, for my 2005 DA40-180 non-waas g-1000, I’m waiting even if it means limiting my geography after 2020 for a year or so—I don’t know if things will get cheaper, but products will become much better in the next year or two. 2nd generation of products will start to appear soon from every company, maybe Garmin will even address the legacy G1000’s with a better solution (like displaying ads-b wx and ads-b traffic on the mfd with software if you plunk down $7000 or $8000for the transponder) however unlikely, worth waiting for. Fortunately, I have a Cessna 150 Aerobat that will be ads-b compliant (for around $500) that I love to fly also.
TJS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: CGMTS
Airports:

Post by TJS »

:tap: I am holding out for a cheap adsb out solution too.
gtx33es would do the trick. just need an update on the g1000
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I was at the AOPA Expo in Gulf Shores, AL today. Spoke to Shane at the uAvionix booth about this issue. He told me that they would not be coming out with an option for installations requiring a rear-facing position light on the wingtip. I'll still probably wait until next year, but it looks more likely that I will have to go with another solution.

On, the brighter side, I did get to see a new DA-62. Very nice airplane (but at $1.4 million, a bit out of my price range).

Steve