5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: “Expedite climb”

Post by Colin »

Ah, I thought you meant without filing (which is my four experiences, or three of the four).

And the fourth of the four was over West Point. I had filed IFR out of Bridgeport but it was such a gorgeous day (not forecast) that I took off VFR. Then weather got worse in Scranton, where I was landing, so I called to get the IFR. The guy was *not* happy.

It's a non-issue in SoCal. And NorCal, for the most part. "It looks like more fog than they promise, so I'll need an instrument clearance into Concord." "N972RD, standby one..."
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Tim said,
I have also, when departing KPDK in Atlanta requested flight following to an intersection where I filed the intersection as a starting point for my IFR flight plan. When I called to activate the flight plan, I told the controller I was going VFR to intersection XXXX and picking up my IFR there. Each time, the controller always said thanks, gave me the expected routing, and a squawk code with the provision to maintain VFR. Was really easy to pick up the IFR enroute.
Tim, I am based at KPDK, and I do not understand what you did, or why you did it. Generally, I pick up my IFR clearance before starting to taxi, and I take off on an IFR flight plan. I don't understand why you think that there was any benefit to departing VFR and picking up your clearance en route.

The only "weird" thing about KPDK is that you are expected to do your runup in the runup area, and then advise KPDK Ground (not the Tower) that your runup is complete. Ground will then tell you to "monitor the Tower" and clear you to leave the runup area.

OTOH, "back in the day" I used to fly into what was then called Washington National airport, KDCA (now Reagan International), and the controllers always made it clear that I would be better off departing VFR, rather than being number 25 to await an IFR release. I would then pick up my IFR enroute.

Sandy
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Sandy wrote: Tim, I am based at KPDK, and I do not understand what you did, or why you did it. Generally, I pick up my IFR clearance before starting to taxi, and I take off on an IFR flight plan. I don't understand why you think that there was any benefit to departing VFR and picking up your clearance en route.
At KPDK, I used it when I had the unfortunately timing to leave soon after a major sporting event, and there was a queue of jets waiting to take off. Going VFR allowed me to cut the line, and pick up my IFR later.
KTEB, the issue is less of a queue on the field, then getting sequenced into the airlines taking off at the large airports next door.

Tim
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

The words “unable” are one of your tools. Of course you may get a penalty vector.

One of the other tools is to request “VFR ON TOP”. This may relieve the controller from separation requirements. I use VFR On Top often to navigate the Los Angeles airspace.

Get VFR ON TOP and then ask for direct.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Rich wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:51 pm
BkFlyer wrote:
Rich, the GPS-A LDJ is an approach I have never flown. The controllers don’t want you to do it and it’s “NA at night”. They’ll vector you to within 5-15 NM KLDJ and then usually strongly hint to cancel IFR. Yeah you can fly the approach in a pinch, but why bother when there are so many more fun practices around NY?
There's a similar situation at Vancouver, WA Pearson field. The LDA-A approach you never get, especially when IMC. Instead they clear you for Portland VOR-A and then let you break off to scud-run. Of course, if the weather is bad enough just go on into PDX and call Uber. The airports are that close.
Lo and behold a fatal accident a few weeks back involving a Cessna 414 flying the LDJ GPS-A approach down to (and below) minimums. Lost control and went down in Colonia just to the left of course.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

These kind of reports are just horrible; certainly that pilot felt he could safely land. Gary Reeves has become an advocate for "circling approaches - just say no". As Rich says and Gary advocates, there are better choices.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Had a friend in a DA40 file IFR to go into KLDJ so he could spend a week in Manhattan this last spring.

Coming from the southwest (DC area), once he got handed off to NY Approach, they refused to let him fly the sole IFR approach (GPS-A) into KLDJ, claiming that it would conflict with Newark traffic. Conditions were IMC yet above approach minimums. But it wasn't safe or legal for him to cancel IFR and fly into KLDJ VFR. He was vectored around in the clouds for more than 45 minutes and forced to divert to more expensive plane parking and ground transportation at KMMU.

Needless to say, he was not happy. I suggested he make a phone call to NY Approach and ask to talk to a supervisor for an explanation, but he never did. To me it seems bizarre to have an instrument approach to an airport and not be allowed to use it -- especially when it's the ONLY approach -- essentially closing the airport during IFR conditions.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

It does seem bizarre to have that approach at all. KLDJ is just 4nm from the threshold at Newark. If you go missed, you'd be making a climbing left turn across heavy jet traffic on 3 mile final. If the wind was from the E/SE this would be a situation similar to the wake turbulence accident at KRNO that sent a Bonanza straight into the ground; the prop wasn't even bent, just plastered into the asphalt.

It's entirely possible that wake turbulence is what caused the Cessna 414 crash.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

I'm a little confused by some views on this approach. It definitely is weird and basically unworkable, but the MAP, assuming it is correctly executed as published, takes you away from the center-lines of the EWR "04" runways, not towards. The direct path for the ILS and RNAV approaches to both these runways has you over or just to the East of the NJ Turnpike. (I used to watch these planes coming in almost directly overhead from my home in Carteret.) The MA point for this GPA-A is 2 nm West of the LDJ 09 threshold and the MAP has you turning further West at that point. I can see that still being a problem for meeting ATC separation criteria and TERPs processes do include a certain amount of width to all charted routes. But fundamentally you're not turning "into the approach path" of EWR 04 L or R. Departures from 22 L and R are another matter, but I would think altitude would take care of that. What am I missing?