3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Re: GoPro Mountings and Settings

Post by midlifeflyer »

I use a DIY tiedown mount similar to the ones offered by https://mypilotpro.com.

dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

midlifeflyer wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:45 am I use a DIY tiedown mount similar to the ones offered by https://mypilotpro.com.

This is an incredible mount:

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotSto ... _AQAvD_BwE
Extremely stable and you can attach to the wing or tail tie-down with no aircraft mods (although I find mounting on the tail, the lens gets fouled by oil etc from exhaust). Also works for 1/4" mounts like I have on my Sony FDRX3000 Action Cam. BTW, the Sony's optical stabilization does a far better job of reducing vibration and jello effect than the GoPro or Garmin Virb that have electronic stabilization. It also has a smaller frontal profile that reduces wind drag. The wifi and Bluetooth reception are excellent, I use my iPhone to control.
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by midlifeflyer »

dmloftus wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:56 pm
midlifeflyer wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:45 am I use a DIY tiedown mount similar to the ones offered by https://mypilotpro.com.

This is an incredible mount:

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotSto ... _AQAvD_BwE
Extremely stable and you can attach to the wing or tail tie-down with no aircraft mods (although I find mounting on the tail, the lens gets fouled by oil etc from exhaust). Also works for 1/4" mounts like I have on my Sony FDRX3000 Action Cam. BTW, the Sony's optical stabilization does a far better job of reducing vibration and jello effect than the GoPro or Garmin Virb that have electronic stabilization. It also has a smaller frontal profile that reduces wind drag. The wifi and Bluetooth reception are excellent, I use my iPhone to control.
Same mount as I mentioned, no?
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

midlifeflyer wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:24 am

Might be. Not sure which one you were referring to, there are lots of mounts on the site for the site URL you provided. I was trying to be more specific. Glad we agree ;-)

Bought mine on Aircraft Spruce:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... ey=3100828
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by midlifeflyer »

dmloftus wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:27 pm
midlifeflyer wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:24 am

Might be. Not sure which one you were referring to, there are lots of mounts on the site for the site URL you provided. I was trying to be more specific. Glad we agree ;-)

Bought mine on Aircraft Spruce:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... ey=3100828
Same manufacturer. Looks like you bought the second Gen swivel version which definitely gives more directional options. But as I discovered with my DIY, it's the clamping mechanism which really makes it work great.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

midlifeflyer wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:29 am
Same manufacturer. Looks like you bought the second Gen swivel version which definitely gives more directional options. But as I discovered with my DIY, it's the clamping mechanism which really makes it work great.
Yes the swivel option makes it very flexible (no pun intended ;-) I used to use it on the tie-down loop on a 172. The clamping mechanism is the best I've seen, and I've been through a bunch of mounts! I actually had to grind down the side of the metal washers just a bit to allow it to seat fully on my DA40 tie-down. The swivel allows you to move the camera to get it level to the horizon and any angle of elevation and angle off nose you want.
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by midlifeflyer »

dmloftus wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:59 am The clamping mechanism is the best I've seen,
The clamping mechanism makes it what it is. When I was working on my DIY, I tried it on a Mooney. No matter how hard I tightened it with a thumbscrew, it twisted in the airstream and eventually pointed straight down. Then I found where to by those clamps and suddenly it all worked.

Another question (so hopefully others are looking too). Has anyone found a good way to attach an external battery to an outside mounting to ge more recording time? I'm lucky enough to have a $50, 4-year old knockoff actioncam which, with one of the newer batteries, can actually record for almost 2.5 hours, but it won't last forever. In the cockpit, I can use an external powerpack so no problem, but outside...
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

A friend of mine uses "time-lapse" mode on externally mounted GoPro cameras to extend battery life. He then converts these to video. He explains that these are good enough (especially when recording XC trips) and that there's no point in recording external audio anyway.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

chili4way wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:00 pm A friend of mine uses "time-lapse" mode on externally mounted GoPro cameras to extend battery life. He then converts these to video. He explains that these are good enough (especially when recording XC trips) and that there's no point in recording external audio anyway.
That's a great idea. I've always run 30P video but there is really no need for that. My Sony lasts only about an hour at that rate. What frame rate does he normally run?