2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: TomJ
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1169N
Airports: KGTU

Re: Cost of replacement wingtip

Post by TomJ »

OK - an update: I have N787DM back, wingtip repaired and with a bright new pair of Whelen OR600 nav/strobe lights.

My thanks to you, Dave - for suggesting I send the wingtip for repair to Glenn at Southtec, and to Rich, Rick and Tim for the helpful documentation.

Glenn deemed the wingtip an “easy” repair and did the composite repair job for $995, including repainting.

He also turned out to be a valuable source of information on the lights. Apparently he had done several of these OR600 conversions (with 337) and Diamond then used his documentation to create a temporary revision in the manual (TR # 2013-11-06). The next 337 he sent in, the FAA told him it was an approved mod and that no 337 was necessary. I explained all this to Sean at ACE aviation and he agreed that yes, it was already approved.

I flew the plane uneventfully back to San Jose. It turned out that Sean had already submitted a 337 to their local FSDO (based on the information provided by Rich, Rick and Tim) and this was approved and sent to me after I flew the plane back. So now I have this documentation as well, as extra “insurance”. If any of you are interested in a copy, PM me.
elmanzah
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hisham
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N908DS
Airports: KXLL

Re: Cost of replacement wingtip

Post by elmanzah »

Today I came back from Oshkosh after what can only be described as one of the best times of my life! Coming to make the u turn I’ve done 264 times over the course of the last year, my left wing tip scrapped against the door of the hangars on the opposite side of mine! My position light is busted and the outer edge of the wing tip is scraped. Ugh!!!

This thread is very helpful and so again thank you to active members on this forum. The only refuge I may have is in knowing I’ll get the led lights. I’m beating myself and wish the Oshkosh buzz lasted a little longer :roll:

I’ll follow the same path you did and will update everyone on my experience.