4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Re: How do I know what unlock cards I should have

Post by pietromarx »

I have a 2012 DA40 XLS with SVT (and no TAWS-B) and it verbalizes "terrain system OK" or "terrain system not available" every time.

While I know what the pilot's guides say, I stand by my theory. Garmin would have no economic reason to maintain two code bases which basically do the same thing. The difference is that when the code is sold as TAWS-B it is under the regulatory environment of the FAA and more notifications turned on and when the code is sold as part of SVT it doesn't come with that certification (and with the notifications turned off). The algorithms for terrain alerting are likely the same, though the QA and regulatory filings are different.

I've spent a lot of time flying around terrain here in CA and have yet to see a difference in the alerting around terrain. I'd like to have the alerts for 500 foot, premature descent, etc., but not for the additional cost. Frankly, I'd like to have the ILS under shoot alert from TAWS-A, too, but that's not offered in our G1000 installations.

I'm guessing that your alert is turned off (or mine turned on) as a configuration in the setup, either as a setting you can see in the config pages or as a setting you can't see somewhere in a file. It has been working across multiple installs.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

To clarify the TAWS-B vs. SVT Terrain Awareness discussion and how to determine which is installed, I found the following info from Garmin's G1000 Instructor Guide: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/G1000:No ... ce-06_.pdf

8. How does one verify if TAWS passed its preflight system test?
Upon completion of the preflight test, the ‘TAWS TEST’ annunciation will extinguish
and the voice alert, “TAWS system test OK”, will be generated.

That's what I heard when I flew my 2008 DA40 XLS with TAWS-B installed. Note that this is different from a "Terrain System OK" startup annunciation that may be generated by SVT (without TAWS-B installation).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

Looks like either our memories or our hearing are going. ;-) TAWS, terrain ... two expensive things that talk at us using the same voice when the airplane is booting up.