5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Various metrics

Post by Rich »

OK, I've owned this plane for almost 16 years now, and just now decided to investigate a few details that have been nibbling at the far reaches of my limited consciousness. (Germane to this discussion: I have the original VM1000 engine monitor system.)

1. MAP gauge reads .2 in. low. Certainly when the engine is not running and, as far as I can tell, always.

2. 11 GPH vs 10 GPH at high cruise (2400, WOT, 7000 ft. PA, 6700 ft. DA) might, maybe, possibly, be worth 1 knot (144+/- vs 143 +/-. But it does knock 15 deg F or so off CHTs. (One needs to be very patient getting these measurements, given that the air refuses to be super-calm.)

3. The fuel gauges will actually give you gallons readings even after passing the "Lo" annunciation. Basically it alternates between the two displays. My motivation here was to drain a tank so I could find out what it really holds, as I have a suspicion the tanks hold a bit more than 20 gallons per side. I took the left tank down to where it said zero, kept it up for a bit after that, then chickened out and switched tanks. (I once had an enlightening experience running a tank dry in flight in a fuel-injected Comanche :shock: )

4. The plane will run quite a long time on my left tank (to be precise) showing 1-2 gallons. Even at zero, it kept it up longer than I would have thought. I could have been tapped into unusable fuel in this region, as it was nice, coordinated straight-and-level flight.

Next step: Note what the left tank actually takes when I fill it. (I don't refill before putting the plane up after the flight to avoid having fuel expansion fill the hangar with flammable fumes.)
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Various metrics

Post by Colin »

enlightening experience

That's a good term. I could never bring myself to run a tank dry on the DA40 and you can damage the DA42 doing it. Someone with an RV7 did it with his wife onboard and "promised never, ever to do that again." When someone mentioned it must have been quiet when the engine stopped firing someone else piped up "my screaming is NOT quiet."

I will be interested to see what an empty tank takes to fill.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Colin wrote:
enlightening experience

That's a good term. I could never bring myself to run a tank dry on the DA40 and you can damage the DA42 doing it. Someone with an RV7 did it with his wife onboard and "promised never, ever to do that again." When someone mentioned it must have been quiet when the engine stopped firing someone else piped up "my screaming is NOT quiet."

Time for my MEA CULPA. I was on an Angel Flight in my C310 and running both engines on my Aux tanks. We were within 25 miles of the destination when all of a sudden one engine got quiet. I immediately switched to main tank on that engine and while doing so the other engine got quiet before I could switch to the main tank. I never said anything to the passengers, and they never said anything to me. I have no idea if they even noticed or were concerned, but I never even came close to doing that again. Lesson learned!
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Colin wrote:
enlightening experience

How is bad for the plane?

Tim
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

The diesel high pressure fuel pump will not be happy, nor will your wallet when you have to repair/replace the pump. This goes along with the AFM saying NOT to shut down the engines with the "fuel cutoff"!

Section 4 - Normal Operating Procedures - Shut Down

CAUTION
Do not shut down an engine with the FUEL SELECTOR valve.
The high pressure fuel pump can otherwise be damaged.

You would be essentially doing the same thing running the tank dry!

(DA42TDI AFM - I'm guessing other diesel powered DA42/62 AFMs will have the same "CAUTION")
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
rdrobson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N84LT
Airports: KFAR

Post by rdrobson »

jb642DA wrote:(DA42TDI AFM - I'm guessing other diesel powered DA42/62 AFMs will have the same "CAUTION")
You are correct, it is in the DA62 AFM. Same wording

--Ron
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

One small followup. I haven't yet refilled that left tank. (You would think that being retired gives you lots of opportunities to fly - you would be wrong :tap: ). But I was able to drain the last of the usable fuel out of it (after running at zero gallons indicated for a very few minutes) and measure that remainder. The procedure was to select the left tank then let it drain it out of the bottom of the strainer into a measuring cup. Out came just over half a gallon - more specifically about 4-1/2 US pints. So the fuel level indication was accurate enough for operational purposes.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Refilled the tank today to the tippity top. Just short of overflow. It took 20.9 gallons, according to the fuel pump meter.

FWIW, the right tank fuel gauge read 5 gallons left and it took 14.6.