3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wally
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N125HA
Airports: ARW

Eng Inst X-d out

Post by Wall-e »

During a flight on Sunday all the engine instruments suddenly showed the notorious red Xs. Everything so far points to a GEA71 failure. I am not based on a field with an avionics shop or any maintenance shop for that matter but I am communicating with the shops that I have used recently. Coincidently, I had just updated several of the databases including Terrain which gave me problems. I did resolve the Terrain DB issue. This failure occurred without any previous anomalies - no intermittent issues at all. I have read in other treads that sometimes issue like this can be a result of software crash. Has anyone experienced this failure & fixed it with a software reload or configuration file restore?
Wally
CFII
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Re: Eng Inst X-d out

Post by Diamond_Dan »

Did it come back? I occasionally lose all of the engine instrumentation with red "X"s for several (very long) seconds, but it always comes back. Happens every 4 or 5 months. 321.22 and 321.23 and I had the avionics shop perform the service bulletin for engine instrumentation problems:
SI40-153
Garmin STC Service Bulletin No. 1534 Rev. A, Installation instructions for a G1000 configuration update that prevents the loss of Engine Indication System
Wall-e
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Wall-e »

I think we have isolated the problem to the internal pwr supply for the GEA-71. When I went to the configuration page for that LRU, the pwr supply had a red x. New one on order for $750 + install with swap out.
Wally
CFII
saramse
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N905PA
Airports: KDWH

Post by saramse »

How did you ultimately resolve this problem? I had the same issue, all engine instruments with the red “X”. The initial suggestion from Garmin/my Avionics shop was to reload the software first to see if that fixed it, but I decided to update the software to 321.23 (something I wanted to do since buying the plane from Antoine), but I still had the same issue. By working with Garmin, my avionics shop ultimately realized that the GEA71 internal power supply had a red “X” (same as you stated in your last post), which according to Garmin meant that it was being shorted out by one of the GEA71 inputs (engine instruments or fuel probes). Working with my mechanic we found that the right wing outer fuel level probe (Long range tank) was shorting it out - upon disconnecting it everything came back, except the right fuel tank level of course. We then ordered a replacement outer probe, but Diamond sent the wrong (inner) probe after 2+ weeks. I am waiting the arrival of the outer probe, but curious to know how you ultimately resolved your problem.
Wall-e
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Wall-e »

Mine was a fuel probe as well.
Wally
CFII
saramse
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by saramse »

Wall-e - did you try the recommended procedure for a contaminated probe before going to the trouble of pulling the wing to replace it (basically flush the tank - de-fuel, re-fuel)? If so, I assume it must not have helped since it sounds like you replaced the probe?
Wall-e
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Wall-e »

We did not try that. Where did you get the info that this was a recommended procedure? I replaced the probe as Diamond recommended & less than 6 months later the new probe failed as well. Fortunately it was still in warranty but I am still waiting for Diamond to refund the cost.
Wally
CFII
agmolnar
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arpad
Aircraft Registration: N787PV
Airports: KHWD

Post by agmolnar »

I am having a similar problem currently. Red X on RH fuel gauge. Failed again after fuel gauge replaced, identified to static bonding issue in wing "shorting" out the gauge. Currently in process...
N787PV
2007 DA40.695
Oakland, CA
saramse
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by saramse »

Wally - sorry for the delay in responding, it is step #1 in the Troubleshooting portion of Section 28-40 “Fuel Quantity Indicating - Lycoming Engine” of the AMM, see page 101. I did try the defuel/refuel procedure to address any potential contamination, but it did not improve the situation, still all red “x”’s. I subsequently ordered a new outer probe for the RH outer tank, but before removing the wing we plugged the new probe in and it appears to fix the problem. So, we just removed the right wing and pulled the tanks today. We will install the new probe tomorrow and put it all back together.....hopefully I will have better luck with the new fuel probe than you did.
saramse
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by saramse »

Arpad - can you say more about your static bonding issue and what you are currently in the process of........