5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Re: Silly moment in DA40

Post by Chris B »

gordsh wrote:Rich...can you actually reach your POH from the back of your seat?
FWIW, I have gone totally electronic (PDF copies on my tablet & phone), with a small subset of laminated emergency procedures.

This is completely legal. And improves useful load. :D

For an explanation of the legality and other considerations of this approach, check this link:
https://bruceair.wordpress.com/2016/04/ ... e-cockpit/
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Until the past couple of years, I was not the only operator of the plane, so I had to retain the various paper documents in the plane rather than relying on every other user to have electronic copies of all these items with them.

Now I'm the only operator so I could switch over to full paperless for most operations. (I already have PDF's of almost everything.) The exception is when getting certain work done (as I did recently) where I need the paperwork for the shop to have the information they need when I'm not there. In the recent case, the current W&B information (an example of something NOT in the generic POH) in the AFM was needed so a new W&B could be computed.

Really, almost every fairly modern plane has the AFM where you couldn't get to it in flight without someone to hand it to you. (Kind of like the DA40 fire extinguisher, n'est-ce pas?) The exceptions would be older planes like the Ercoupe 415 I used to fly, where the owner's manual could be stuck in your back pocket.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Rich wrote:
gordsh wrote:Rich...can you actually reach your POH from the back of your seat?
Sure, can't you? :D
Hmm, maybe if I tried it. I keep in in the other seat pocket so I can reach across versus reaching behind....But I will give a try :)
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

My take is the same as from bruceair article
It’s not explicitly clear from this advisory circular if an electronic copy of the aircraft flight manual (AFM), keyed to a specific aircraft serial number/registration number, is acceptable. But the AC does seem to allow use of PDF copies of avionics handbooks, weight-and-balance data, and STC supplements.
Therefore, I have my aircraft-unique paper POH wedged under the co-pilot's seat because the regs require it to be available to the pilot in flight. The rest of the generic documents, such as the avionics manuals, I have on my two Ipads.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

I've done that too :)
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I've moved the Stratus under the panel. With the remote GPS antenna up on the top of the instrument panel it works great. 10-12 "green" satellites all the time.

The ADS-B remote antenna is interesting. It is mounted on top of the glare shield. Using it or not makes no observable difference in direct ADS-B traffic, but if disconnected it compromises ADS-B tower reception enough to be undesirable (loss of TIS-B traffic, e.g.). I also tested it quite a bit lying horizontally across the glare shield vs. having it pretty much vertical. It works much better when vertically oriented rather than horizontally.

The one thing I have to watch is the effect of cabin heat on the Stratus, as it sits right above where the pilot side heat vent is located.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Registration: N239DS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Steven »

Did this during my instrument check ride. I could transmit and receive, but the DE could not talk to ATC. Later I figured out he must have plugged his mike into one if the passenger ports. To this day I wonder if that helped me pass my checkride. :D