2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Oliver
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: DERNS
Airports: GLIDERFIELD HORNBERG

Arizona Baffle kit versus Standard Baffle kit

Post by OBucher »

Hello,
my DA40 has the serial number 40.322 (year 2003), so it is not standard equipped with an "Arizona baffle kit".
Since I do not know if any modifications have been made on my plane in the past, I have the following question:
- How do you visually recognize if you have an "Arizona Baffle kit" installed, or a standard baffle kit? Attached is a picture of my air intakes to the engine.
- Can one look somewhere to identify the type of baffles (if so how exactly)?
- What is the exact difference between an Arizona baffle kit and a standard baffle kit?
I hope, someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

I ask for the reason that in the summer times I often see in climb (about 90kt IAS / WOT / 2400RPM) CHT temperatures higher than 400 ° F (My buffles are now completly new sealed and OK). I've heard that the "Arizona baffle kit" is more efficient in cooling.
Air_Inlet_Picture_2.jpg
Greetings

Oliver Bucher
D-ERNS
DA40-180 SN40.322
Gliderfield Hornberg / Germany
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Arizona Baffle kit versus Standard Baffle kit

Post by Steve »

Hi Oliver. Based on the size of the air intake hole on the copilot side in your photo, it should have the "Arizona baffle". Pre-baffle, the hole was smaller. The configuration of the carbon fiber baffle itself was also different, although I can't recall the exact changes from that long ago. The part number of the new baffle is: D41-7166-11-00/2. Having said that, why not check your engine logbook? Replacement of the baffle should be documented in there.

Steve
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

That starboard side aperture looks pretty small to me. The AZ baffle (with an enlarged aperture) replaced the section of baffle on that side with a different one. It was a pretty easy replacement. I know that Diamond considered that an option for awhile even after its development. They would supply it upon request.

I'll get a nose-on picture of mine out later today for comparison.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
OBucher
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by OBucher »

Steve wrote:Hi Oliver. Based on the size of the air intake hole on the copilot side in your photo, it should have the "Arizona baffle". Pre-baffle, the hole was smaller. The configuration of the carbon fiber baffle itself was also different, although I can't recall the exact changes from that long ago. The part number of the new baffle is: D41-7166-11-00/2. Having said that, why not check your engine logbook? Replacement of the baffle should be documented in there.

Steve
Hello Steve,
thank you for your comment and part number. In Europe we have no "egine logbook" and from the US-time of the plane is nothing written about buffles.
OBucher
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by OBucher »

Rich wrote:That starboard side aperture looks pretty small to me. The AZ baffle (with an enlarged aperture) replaced the section of baffle on that side with a different one. It was a pretty easy replacement. I know that Diamond considered that an option for awhile even after its development. They would supply it upon request.

I'll get a nose-on picture of mine out later today for comparison.
Hello,
it would be perfect if you could post a picture of an (your) "Arizona Buffle" inlet.
Thanks in advance
Oliver
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Here is a nose-on picture I happen to have from some years back, long after the AZ baffle install. You need to zoom in to see it better. I'll get a couple of better pictures later.

It involved replacement of the right front baffle section AND enlargement of the opening of the inner shell of the cowling to match where it mates to the baffle. Forgive this comment but it looks like there was some amateurish work on that cowling inner piece. And I really can't make out the baffle itself in your picture. It may be that someone carved out the cowling section somewhat and may or may not have replaced the baffle.

The major symptom we were trying to correct was that No. 1 cylinder always ran hotter than the other 3 and was THE determinant in fuel flow. This mod fixed that problem and brought all cylinders down and more in line. (It's possible that the baffle flaps also were affected by the process, as a side-effect, and may be a factor in the radical improvement.)
toys.jpg
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Steve »

For the Arizona Baffle, the cowling hole should be 103 mm +/- 2 mm in diameter, according to the diagram I have.

Steve
OBucher
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by OBucher »

Does anyone have the drawing for the Arizona Buffle kit? I believe that in my plane an air guide to the inner hole to cylinder 1 is missing. With a drawing or a good picture, I can easily check this on the weekend.
My plane had a crash in May 2004 as N89SE (report can be googled). Then it was repaired (I think at Diamond). After that, it flew only one year in America and came to Europe only in 2007. I bought the plane in 2013 from an Austrian flight club. There is neither something in the European technical logbook nor in the American documents (Airframe- / Propeller and Engine-Logbook).
Attached is a Picture from my buffle without the cowling.
Buffle_DA40_V3_DERNS.jpg
Greetings
Oliver
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Steve »

Oliver: That photo does show a right side baffle in place, I just cannot tell which one (original or Arizona). I do have the technical drawing, but it is very small scale and don't think it is of much help. That being said, if you PM me your email, I will scan it and email to you.

Steve
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Here's a real close-up of my intake. FWIW, this was installed in April, 2003.
AZ Baffle.jpg