2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lane
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N500DH
Airports: KCEZ

Fuel flow transducer

Post by La-ner »

My 2002 DA40 fuel flow on the V1000 is erratic. I was told that the transducer my be not connected properly or just needs to be replaced. Where is that little sucker? Supposedly located under the sump but can’t seem to see it. Any one know where it is?
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Fuel flow transducer

Post by Steve »

It is located above the RSA injector timing device on the front of the oil sump. Follow the fuel line from the engine driven fuel pump down. It is above the injector device, wrapped in red firesleeve. It has one of those strange Hirschmann connectors for the electrical connection. Usually they are pretty reliable, but the attachment screw could loosen, I suppose. You will have to unwrap the firesleeve to see it. The pictures below don't actually show the sensor, but do show the area where it is...

Steve
DSCF0860.jpg
DSCF0897.jpg
DSCF0896.jpg
Chromer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Daryl
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYLW

Post by Chromer »

I also have a 2002 and my transducer pressure went up and then failed completely. I had the shop test it and they said that I needed a one.
La-ner
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by La-ner »

Thanks Steve! Again, looks like it’s easy to get at especially if I can shrink myself to the size of an ant. Hope we don’t have to take the engine apart to get it out. Diamond said that there might be something stuck in the fuel line clogging it. Really? Better not be anything in the fuel line except fuel. Humm, is there a fuel filter? Will check the manual.
La-ner
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by La-ner »

OK, I did see where there was a post by another Steve about cleaning fuel filters. I think this will be a task for the experts.
Leemar
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Lee
Aircraft Registration: CGUPI
Airports: CYOO

Post by Leemar »

I too had fuel flow pressure transducer problems. Connections were fine, so I switched it with the oil pressure transducer as a test ( both fuel and oil pressure transducers are the same part #). Turns out the fuel pressure transducer, now monitoring oil pressure, was acting up on the oil pressure readings. The cost for a transducer is over$1000 CAN. A reliable mechanic suggested taking it out, soaking it in rubbing alcohol to clean it out. It worked great. That was 8 months ago, and no problems since.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Leemar wrote:I too had fuel flow pressure transducer problems. Connections were fine, so I switched it with the oil pressure transducer as a test ( both fuel and oil pressure transducers are the same part #). Turns out the fuel pressure transducer, now monitoring oil pressure, was acting up on the oil pressure readings. The cost for a transducer is over$1000 CAN. A reliable mechanic suggested taking it out, soaking it in rubbing alcohol to clean it out. It worked great. That was 8 months ago, and no problems since.
Lee: The OP is having problems with the Fuel Flow transducer, not the pressure transducer. Different types of sensor...
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

The fuel pressure transducer and the fuel flow transducer are different. The fuel flow transducer is at the forward left side of the sump. Remind your mechanic that th unit is easily damaged by overtightening the fittings. Beware. It is a very easy replacement but pay attention to not over-tighten it.
Leemar wrote:I too had fuel flow pressure transducer problems. Connections were fine, so I switched it with the oil pressure transducer as a test ( both fuel and oil pressure transducers are the same part #). Turns out the fuel pressure transducer, now monitoring oil pressure, was acting up on the oil pressure readings. The cost for a transducer is over$1000 CAN. A reliable mechanic suggested taking it out, soaking it in rubbing alcohol to clean it out. It worked great. That was 8 months ago, and no problems since.