5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Garmin 345R ADS-B installation

Post by Colin »

I love my ADS-B. I just flew from KSJC down to KSMO and as I was crossing over KCVH (Hollister) I saw traffic climbing below me. I have flight following (always), but the controller was pretty busy and didn't call out the traffic. I was in a climb and the traffic was also in a climb and *might* have been a little faster than me. I angled off to the left to let them climb past me, but in the end they stopped at 7,500 as I continued to 9,500. At about 7,300 they contacted NorCal approach and identified themselves. I could *already* see their tail number, so I knew it was them. She said she was stopping at 7,500. The controller called me out as traffic and I said I already had her visually.

A really nice bit of situational awareness. Would she have climbed directly into me? I don't know, but I know angling away made it difficult for her to do so.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

This is a little off topic but I didn't want to start yet another ADS-B thread.

I was at our EAA local chapter meeting and was speaking with a guy who owns a Cessna 185. He's not in a rush to sweat the 2020 ADS-B Out deadline, since he doesn't frequent airspace that will require it. But once the skyBeacon is available for his plane he intends to install it. It might not be until after the "deadline", as there could be a big surge in demand as 1/1/2020 approaches.

I can see this kind of thing being common, with more and more aircraft adding ADS-B Out over the next several years, not just the next 19+ months.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

One interesting by-product of ADS-B out is that my flights now show up on FlightAware even though I wasn't talking to ATC (no flight following, etc..)
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Regarding ADS-B Out flights showing up on FlightAware... I made a trip in March 2018 to Central America and Colombia... and our flights there showed up real-time on FlightAware. Seems FlightAware and FlightRadar24 have given out hundreds (thousands?) of ADS-B home receivers -- around the world -- that then auto-upload to their sites. Very cool.
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Dropped off my plane at the factory today (finally) for ADS-B IN/OUT install, A/C repair, Avidyne T605A Traffic install and a few other things. I got some good quotes from various shops especially in the USA but I just could not work out the logistics of taking my plane to the USA. Main problem is that as a student pilot I cant fly in the USA with my Student Cert so factory it was..

however ....

I felt like a kid in a candy store walking through the factory seeing the brand new shiny DA62's and 40's on the factory floor. I could not stop smiling. :D. Is it just me or do new airplanes just put a smile on your face as well? I will go easy on my 12 year old next time we are in Best Buy and 5 year old next time we are in ToysRus and they are going crazy with excitement! Also saw the D-Jet #1 parked in a corner :(

The factory was buzzing with different crews working on a few 62's and 40's, it was very exciting to see. Also saw the new double bubble canopy for the DA40's...its very interesting!

I will update once I pick the plane.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Note: Bubble split to new thread.
Brian
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Registration: N224BS
Airports: KPIA

Post by Brian »

Tim H wrote:Had a successful first flight (2005 non-WAAS G1000) with ADS-B. As other have said...WOW...there is A LOT of traffic out there!!

Got my FAA ADS-B Performance Report so the airplane is cleared to fly.

Install went very well. Bluetooth works in the front seat, no external antenna needed (replaced my existing GA55 XM antenna with a GA37 which is mount inside the aft fuselage), had to run an extra wire for the "TRAFFIC!!" audio, did not need an extra fuse or "jumper wire" as others have mentioned. The connector for the existing GTX33 was about and inch short of connecting with the GTX345R, so the LRU rack had to be removed and partially re-wired. The only software required was a "patch" for the GTX345R. They did not have to re-install the .22 software. As expected, the ADS-B weather does not work on the non-WAAS G1000 so I will still use XM.

BIG THANK YOU to Ryan and Tina and Commander Aero (KMGY) for doing an awesome job on this installation!!
Tim,
Thanks for the info! I have a 2004 that I upgraded to WAAS/Synthetic vision but its still not clear to me what info the G1000 will display once I add the 345R. You said you don't see ADSB WX on the MFD but do you at least see ADSB traffic on the MFD and PFD?

I have been waiting/hoping that DAC will provide a SW update that will allow the current WAAS antenna's to provide location information without having to add a 3rd WAAS antenna.

Thanks,
Brian
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Post by arksat »

This thread has been super informative for me to consider ADS-B installation. So I would like to make a contribution by sharing my PIREP. I finished installation in this May.

Mine is 2005 DA40 (G1000+KAP140), Non-WAAS, Software version 321.22.
- Replaced GTX33 with GTX345R
- Replaced internal GA55 XM antenna with COMANT GPS(WAAS)/XM combo antenna CI 401-460
- Some wiring and configuration on G1000

Total cost: about 12,000 USD (incl. tax)
Parts 6,500, Labor 5,200

Installation by Woodland Aviation in Davis, CA
I contacted to LAC avionics in KSJC and got a slightly lower quote. I chose Woodland because I knew they have experience on ADS-B install to DA40.

Originally I requested to replace the external COM antenna with GPS/COM combo, however the shop said the footprint of the new antenna is too different and it requires composite work, so we decided to replace internal XM with XM/GPS combo. The shop did thorough research on installation manuals to verify there is no restriction to use internal antenna.

As expected, 321.22 software can only show traffic on PFD/MFD, but no WX or TFR etc. I can see them on ForeFlight so this is not an issue for me.

This upgrade created a big hole in my bank account :shock: but I am happy with the increased situational awareness.
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

Brian-

I see ADS-B traffic and XM weather on the MDS and the "inset" on the lower left side of the PFD. (Non-WAAS G1000)

See this post for the results of a GTX345R install in a 2004 with the WAAS upgrade:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5546&p=69704&hilit=tjp#p69704

You don't need to install a 3rd WAAS antenna, you can replace your existing XM antenna with a Garmin GA37 combination XM/WAAS antenna. Mine was mounted in the aft fuselage.

Tim