5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Re: Garmin 345R ADS-B installation

Post by Chris B »

Hi Mark -

Congratulations on your installation. It sounds like everything is working well for you.
mdieter wrote:replace the GA55 XM antenna with combination XM and GPS antenna (inside the tail, no outside modifications).
For others considering the internal XM/GPS combination antenna, my local avionics shop noticed that the Garmin STC specifically requires an external WAAS antenna. Garmin and Diamond support both confirmed this, and recommended a combination COM/GPS antenna instead.

Personally I am hoping that Diamond will release a FW update. This would dramatically simplify installation and cut the cost in half. But time is running out... :(

Chris
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Thanks for the update and price info Mark!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
mdieter
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N43LM
Airports: KROC

Post by mdieter »

Sorry I can't specify the exact antenna they used (it's not specified on the bill) but I recommended a Garmin GA 37. The mechanic added an aluminum "doubler" that also acts as a ground plane. The shop worked extensively with Garmin on the installation. The mechanic said reception was excellent. BTW he said MANY times how difficult it was to access the antenna.
Mark
N43LM
DA40.1047
Ultrapilot1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Registration: N446SB
Airports: KPIE KTHA

Post by Ultrapilot1 »

Mine was also a combo com/gps external
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

mdieter wrote:Just flew my first flight after the ADS-B upgrade. Wow there's a lot of planes in the air!

Good install experience with Calspan Research. 2041 Niagara Falls Blvd, Niagara Falls, NY (716) 236-1000. I'd recommend them.

We have a 2009 XLS with WAAS G1000, XM and TAS. They needed to replace the GTX33 transponder with a GTX345R (with optional GPS) and replace the GA55 XM antenna with combination XM and GPS antenna (inside the tail, no outside modifications). The TAS600 traffic information is now routed thru the GTX345 and combined. They also debugged a glideslope receiver issue and installed a USB power supply in addition to the ADS-B upgrade.

The cost breaks down as 39 hours of labor (not sure how much was glideslope and USB related), $600 for the new antenna, $400 for the USB power, and $5430 for the GTX345R. Total cost $10,440 USD. I plan to put the old transponder and XM antenna on eBay and hope to recoup some $$$.

We now have XM or FIS-B weather and TIS-B and TAS traffic on the MFD. Only one flight in, but so far so good.
Mark, this information was very helpful as I am looking to do some upgrades to my 2010 which did not come with TAS. I was originally looking to add TAS but seeing the scope of work and on advice from CFIDave I think I will also do the ADS-B upgrade at the same time. 2041 Niagara Falls Blvd is like a 30 minute flight from me here at CZBA. Can you give me a contact name that you dealt with at Calspan?
mdieter
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N43LM
Airports: KROC

Post by mdieter »

gordsh wrote: Mark, this information was very helpful as I am looking to do some upgrades to my 2010 which did not come with TAS. I was originally looking to add TAS but seeing the scope of work and on advice from CFIDave I think I will also do the ADS-B upgrade at the same time. 2041 Niagara Falls Blvd is like a 30 minute flight from me here at CZBA. Can you give me a contact name that you dealt with at Calspan?
The guy to call is Ben Chieffo ben.chieffo@calspan.com 716-236-1074. Since they "learned" on mine, should be pretty straight forward on yours. :) Check out the "model" overhead in the lobby and tell them I sent ya.
Mark
N43LM
DA40.1047
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Thanks Mark
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

Had a successful first flight (2005 non-WAAS G1000) with ADS-B. As other have said...WOW...there is A LOT of traffic out there!!

Got my FAA ADS-B Performance Report so the airplane is cleared to fly.

Install went very well. Bluetooth works in the front seat, no external antenna needed (replaced my existing GA55 XM antenna with a GA37 which is mount inside the aft fuselage), had to run an extra wire for the "TRAFFIC!!" audio, did not need an extra fuse or "jumper wire" as others have mentioned. The connector for the existing GTX33 was about and inch short of connecting with the GTX345R, so the LRU rack had to be removed and partially re-wired. The only software required was a "patch" for the GTX345R. They did not have to re-install the .22 software. As expected, the ADS-B weather does not work on the non-WAAS G1000 so I will still use XM.

BIG THANK YOU to Ryan and Tina and Commander Aero (KMGY) for doing an awesome job on this installation!!
nrenno
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nilton
Aircraft Registration: N63WP
Airports: KARB

Post by nrenno »

Hi Tim,
What was the total cost and how long did it take to complete the installation?
Thanks,
—Nilton
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

It took 7 days, but I don't think they worked on it continuously (which was fine with me, I wasn't in any hurry). The cost was ~$9500. I put the old antenna and GTX33 out on eBay, so I have not deducted that from the cost. I would think their next install would go a little faster, this was the first DA40 ADS-B they worked on.