3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N799DS
Airports: EGLK

Re: Rudder cable replacement requirement changed

Post by linzhiming »

I finally managed to find time to get the AMM revision that the broken link at the top of the thread was referring out of the browser cache and have attached it below.

As mentioned before, it is an addendum which changes the chapter 4 content of AMM revision 7 and is listing the MSI and rudder cable replacement (irrespective of material of the rudder cables) as airworthiness limitations. The list overall has grown significantly.

Quite interesting is the fact that the similar addendums for the DA40NG and DA62 (the DA42 type certificate remains with Diamond in Austria) have a much shorter list of life-limited parts listed as airworthiness limitations. Although the MSI is listed in that section, there are no rudder cable replacements mentioned there (presumably the DA40NG uses the same rudder cables?).

I hope that the list gets revised (I have not found the time to speak to Diamond in Canada) and that there is more than a technical/IT reason that the link was modified as it was working in the first few days. The HTML of the page was updated with the link completely removed, and also the document is no longer on their website, which is why the link from the top of the thread is broken.

Also, my read of the document is that Chapter 4 would apply to N-registered aircraft. The document contains the following wording:

(from cover page)

A new AMM is being prepared that will replace the manual prepared by Diamond Aircraft Industries GmbH. Until the new AMM is released all contents of the AMM, Doc. No. 6.02.01 are applicable except for:

 Chapter 4 – Airworthiness Limitations

The data necessary to properly maintain the DA 40 Series aircraft is contained in the Aircraft Maintenance Manual, 6.02.01 other than Chapter 4. The Airworthiness Limitations contained in this addendum are approved by the Minister and must be followed

(from page 10)

2. Continued Airworthiness

Regular inspections of the airplane including replacement and overhaul of certain components are required to ensure Continued Airworthiness of the DA 40.

A. Airplanes registered in the USA

The time limits given in Chapter 04 should be applied to ensure Continued Airworthiness of the DA 40 unless an alternate inspection program is agreed on with the FAA. The manufacturer recommends that you apply the time limits and maintenance checklists given in Chapter 05. Annual and 100 hour inspections of the DA 40 airplane must include all inspection items as required by FAR 43, Appendix D in scope and detail of an annual/100 hour inspection.

B. Airplanes registered in other countries

The time limits given in Chapter 04 should be applied to ensure Continued Airworthiness of the DA 40 unless an alternate inspection program is agreed on with the competent National Airworthiness Authority. The manufacturer recommends that you apply the time limits and maintenance checklists given in Chapter 05. National maintenance requirements must be complied with.

Wolfgang
Attachments
60201-DA40-AMM-Addendum.pdf
DA40 AMM AWL addendum
(793.7 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Wolfgang: Nice work to pull the Addendum out of your browser's cache, but until the Diamond website broken link is fixed I don't see how owners or techs would have to comply with the revisions in the DA40-180 Addendum just yet.

My guess is that that Addendum may have been posted prematurely, and I wouldn't be surprised if the website link was purposely deleted in order to revise the Addendum, for example to modify items like mandatory 5-year rudder cable replacement for all cables -- so it doesn't include stainless steel cables.

As you pointed out, the working links to DA40 NG and DA62 new Addendums do NOT require mandatory rudder cable replacement for stainless steel cables.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

Under these revisions, for N-Registered DA40-180 aircraft, we would have to do the following additional Chapter 4 AWL actions:

-Pitot-static system - clean and check for leakage every 1000hr/2yr (possibly complied with per CFR 91.411)
-MT Propeller Mandatory Maintenance Actions
-Oil radiator - proof test every 2000hr/12yr
-Major Structural Inspection (inspection of interior, including removing the horizontal stabilizer)- every 2000hr/12yr
-Rudder cables - replace every 3000hr/5yr
-Fuel hoses behind firewall and in engine compartment - replace every 2000hr/12yr
-Oil hoses - replace every 2000hr/12yr

The MSI and rudder cables apply to all operations, the others to night VFR or IFR operations
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by blsewardjr »

The revised DA40-180 AMM Addendum is out -- see http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... dendum.pdf

The good news is that most of the Ch. 4 revisions are gone. The bad news is that there is one new Ch. 4 airworthiness requirement -- Major Structural Inspections (MSIs). The worse news is that an MSI is required at 2000 hours or 12 years, whichever comes first, with a maximum tolerance of _+ 2.5% (about 3.5 months). Since I own a 2003, 14 year old DA40-180, I called Diamond Canada and spoke to the customer representative. They promised to look into it urgently. However, Diamond Canada will not be open during Christmas week.

There is a exception if MAM 40-394 or MAM 40-398 is installed. If so, an MSI is required:
at 6000 hours since new and every 4000 hours intervals or 12 years, whichever comes first. Maximum tolerance is ± 2.5%

MAM 40-398 is related to the MSB-040-074 spar reinforcement -- see http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... n-spar.pdf I don't know what the MAM 40-394 refers to, but given the number sequence it seems to have been near in time.

It's not clear whether this exception postpones the 12 year requirement, but, in any case, under the resulting AD, as I read it, the spar reinforcement is not due (time wise) until August 2018.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
linzhiming
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Registration: N799DS
Airports: EGLK

Post by linzhiming »

Did you get an update from Diamond regarding the MSI requirement as part of the Ch. 4 airworthiness limits?
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by blsewardjr »

Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA