3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N524PS
Airports: KMTH

Re: Nose gear leg lateral movement

Post by TomO »

I was able to talk to my mechanic late yesterday. With his explanation and the aviators net help, I think I understand the problem. It is a loose internal bushing on one side of the fuselage. Today he sent some pictures. Diamond engineering recommended that the internal bushing be epoxied into place. He has been informed of the appropriate repair and will be sent the needed epoxy. The pictures show the top hat bearing and others of the fuselage where the internal bearing resides. One picture actually shows the internal bushing in the top hat (it is so loose it came out of the fuselage).The top hat bearing inserts into this bushing as previously described by Steve. This internal bearing is loose since the hole is no longer round but oval (the pictures do not show the elongated hole area very well). He will also replace the top hat bearing at the same time. Again, I do not have the advantage of looking at the problem in person and if for some reason I am wrong in my understanding or something else comes up, I will inform the net. Again thanks for the help.
Tom
Attachments
IMG_0701.jpg
IMG_0698.jpg
IMG_0692.jpg
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Thanks for the update Tom.

Never seen one of those come loose before but obviously it happens.
At least now you have the issue pinned down and you can go ahead with the repair.
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Post by astaib »

Hello,

I just had the same issue on mine.
But the inner metal ring is not like the one on the pictures, mine is smooth on the exterior side and has no “hat” to prevent slipping when you insert the bushing.
The holes in the epoxy are perfectly round and not worn.

My mechanic simply removed the metal ring, inserted the bushing in these rings and put in place the 2 parts assembled.

Of course he put new bushing.
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b