First Name: gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N175DA
Airports: KFMN

Enroute Engine Tests ...

Post by gtmize »

Ignition Stress Test, Mix Distribution Test, Induction Leak Tests

https://www.savvyanalysis.com/articles/ ... iagnostics

Interesting article .. was wondering if any of you are doing these .. ?
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Re: Enroute Engine Tests ...

Post by Karl »

As a licensed engineer I have to say I don't really agree with the article.

First off most owners do not have the requisite knowledge to diagnose defects, yes some do but most do not.
The author says that when an owner reports an engine problem the first thing he does is tell them to fly the aircraft. Anyone who flies an aircraft with a known engine problem without first getting an engineer to look at it is asking for trouble. Advising the general pilot population to do so in an open article is scary at best.

Yes, please collect all the information you can whilst you are returning to land rpm, egt, oil pressure, cht, altitude and any thing else you can think of, it all helps in fault diagnosis but please do not fly an aircraft with a know engine defect without some kind of diagnosis of the problem first.
Kyle
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kyle
Aircraft Registration: N283DS
Airports: KNEW

Post by Kyle »

Gary,
I have a subscription, and I do the in-flight lean mag check & gami lean test regularly during longer flights. I didn't know about the induction leak test but I plan to start doing that as well. The reports Savvy provide are easy to read and could indicate a marginal problem with a plug, injector, etc. that one might not be aware of otherwise.

To Karl's point, I wouldn't go up and fly if I think I have an engine problem, I just do these regularly with the idea that these tests might point out issues that would otherwise go unnoticed. Out of an abundance of caution, I only do the in-flight mag check when I'm at altitude and over an airport. I've also read that if your engine shuts down when you switch mags during the mag check, that you should fully lean the mixture, then switch back to both before advancing the mixture.
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

As with Kyle, I'm a Savvy customer and do the Ignition Stress Test regularly. It very clearly pointed out a problem with a simple fix (2 fading plugs). I don't find that this tests introduces any undue risk.
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
gtmize
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: gary
Aircraft Registration: N175DA
Airports: KFMN

Post by gtmize »

I've been using http://cirrusreports.com/ to view the engine & track data which is captured on the top right card on each flight. The data appears to be captured on 1 sec intervals for all 4 cylinders.

This website is also useful as a backup to log your flights as it archives them with a tremendous amount of detail on all fight parameters.

It also has a feature to Xport to GoogleMaps so you can view your track in 3D. I use this a lot in pattern work.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I guess the article should define "engine problem" a little better. I flew with John Deakin himself and he said the engine had an induction leak. My mechanic at the time, and mechanics since, could never find it. With the cowling open I looked carefully at everything in my non-engineer-but-architect fashion, finding nothing. I still flew the plane but it meant I never flew lean of peak, it was too rough.

I was a Savvy customer and regularly uploaded my logs to their site and to CirrusReports. I wish I had logging on the DA42 engines. I would love to be watching the trends over time.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)