1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Mert
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N946DS
Airports: KHEF

Saving Engine Analysis from G1000?

Post by Mert »

I have searched and searched this site and cannot find any info on how to retrieve the engine data from my G1000? I have a 2008 DA40XLS WAAS enabled G1000. I used a newly formatted 4GB SD card in the top slot on the MFD and flew for .8 hour yesterday and no files were added to the card.
On other sites I read conflicting advise about weather to use the top or bottom slots on the MFD??
Now I am DEFINITELY not a very computer Savvy person. What am I doing wrong?
Thank you, Mert
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Re: Saving Engine Analysis from G1000?

Post by pietromarx »

What's the installed version of software on your G1000?

Can you add the checklist file (which you can download from Diamond's support website) on to the SD card and see it appear?

It is the top right MFD slot that records the engine data. Otherwise, for most things, the slot doesn't matter.
Mert
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by Mert »

Thanks for the reply. I will find the software version tomorrow when I go out to the airplane.
I have downloaded the checklist from Diamond unto the SD card, I can see the file on the card but can not open it here on my laptop as it tells me I do not have the proper version of Adobe?
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by pietromarx »

The checklist file is in a special format and there used to be an editor available from Garmin (https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... sp?id=5075). It won't open in Adobe's programs on a Mac or PC.

When you put the SD card into the TOP slot of the MFD and THEN turn on the G1000 you should eventually see a checklist hot key on the bottom right of the panel. if it is active and brings up the checklist, then the card is being recognized and read by the G1000.

In addition, you should see a data logging notification in the AUX / SYSTEM STATUS screen on the G1000. I can't remember the exact page, but it is in the stack of auxiliary functions.

Have fun. Use Excel to open the logs.

Peter
Mert
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by Mert »

The software version is 0321.22 on my G1000. I inserted the SD card with checklist into the top slot and could see the hot key for checklist but it was not bold and could not bring up the checklist? BUT the 3 hours of flight today in two segments was loaded onto the card (yay !) and I see it in Excel. And I am also able to open it in the "SAVVY ANALYSIS" program, so when ready I should be able to send it to them, if I choose to.
Do you think I need a software update? I would sure like to have the checklist working again.
Thank you very much for your help!!
Mert
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by pietromarx »

OK, super. The latest software is 321.23 and you should be able to get it for free, though the labor will cost you a bit. It may / may not have anything to do with the checklist working, though.

Before going through the pain and potential unexpected surprises of a software update, I would do the following: download the the editor and see if it opens the file. Then make sure the file is correctly named, etc., and placed on the SD card (top slot MFD, same as for data logging).
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

pietromarx wrote:OK, super. The latest software is 321.23 and you should be able to get it for free, though the labor will cost you a bit. It may / may not have anything to do with the checklist working, though.

Before going through the pain and potential unexpected surprises of a software update, I would do the following: download the the editor and see if it opens the file. Then make sure the file is correctly named, etc., and placed on the SD card (top slot MFD, same as for data logging).
According to this post, the checklist feature was disabled for version 321.22. I haven't tried version 321.23 to know if it was ever re-enabled.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by pietromarx »

Well, there it is. I have .23 and the checklist works. That said, it is not the best feature of the G1000 and I rarely use it, preferring paper over pixels.
Mert
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by Mert »

Thank you all for the help! Not sure what exactly I have finely gotten right But the last four flights have been recorded on the SD card and successfully downloaded to Excel and Savvy Analysis.
Now my question is, can I use an SD card larger than 4GB in the top right slot to record the data?
Mert
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Mert wrote:Thank you all for the help! Not sure what exactly I have finely gotten right But the last four flights have been recorded on the SD card and successfully downloaded to Excel and Savvy Analysis.
Now my question is, can I use an SD card larger than 4GB in the top right slot to record the data?
Mert
The answer to this seems to be "it depends", although I'm not quite sure on what. Some members here have reported success using SD cards larger than 4Gb, while others say they won't work. So I guess you just have to try one in yours and see what happens...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)