4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Re: Help updating data on my G1000

Post by pietromarx »

I use 16GB cards on my G1000 (the .23 release) for the PFD and MFD. No issues. I also keep two rotating sets so that the plane can have a set and I can still do updates at home, etc.

If you want data logging and checklists use an SD card in the upper MFD slot. I use an 8GB card.

For the techies the only issue that you may run into on SD cards is with ones larger than 32GB. There are IP licensing issues for the file system and different electrical connection standards for higher bandwidth and larger cards. Many manufacturers of devices won't license the file system IP, thereby limiting the addressable storage to 32GB.
ricksigler
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: N741DS
Airports: KABQ

Post by ricksigler »

Bought my annual update of the NavData two days ago and tried to update yesterday. Neither panel would recognize the card (no msg. just completed the normal boot). I've updated many times before and never had this problem. Called Garmin when I got home. The rep had me delete the file on the card, delete the download history on the flygarmin site and reinstall the download program. I reinstalled the update, but haven't tried it yet. One interesting thing he told me to do is that if the panel is not recognizing the card "hold the number 2 softkey while booting up". He said that would force the panel to look at the card during bootup.

Rick
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

That's interesting. Did you happen to reformat the card and see if there was an issue with it?
ricksigler
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: N741DS
Airports: KABQ

Post by ricksigler »

Peter,

I did format the card (FAT32) before the first try and no issues. The Rep only had me delete the data file for the second try. I should know by Monday if it works.

Rick
JamesDS
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: James
Aircraft Registration: N730DS
Airports: KMCC

Post by JamesDS »

Steven,
If you get a message saying that the 2GB card does not have enough space, delete the folder named fc_tpc. This contains over 3000 files. The only file that must be retained on the card is the one written by your G1000 system when you first insert a formatted but blank card into the lower slot and turn on the master. It is the "airframe_info.xml" file. The flygarmin program will write the folders and files needed. I doubt that the SD slots will read anything more than 2 GB. To check your cards content, put in into an SD card reader, then right click the card and select the properties choice on the menu. This gives you used and free space and the number of files on the card.
2007 DA40XL GFC700 autopilot, Avidyne TAS 600, non-WAAS G1000 panel, software 0321.22
Ultrapilot1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Registration: N446SB
Airports: KPIE KTHA

Post by Ultrapilot1 »

Thanks James! I did switch to 8gb cards and they worked fine. After I was finished I checked the splash page and everything was updated so looks like I am good to go now.
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: DAVID
Aircraft Registration: N542GL
Airports: KTAD

Post by dwurfel »

I had this same issue and used the Garmin help desk to walk me through it as well as watched the youtube video on updating the G1000 dbases. Have the Garmin rep stay on the line as you sit in the airplane updating.
gtmize
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: gary
Aircraft Registration: N175DA
Airports: KFMN

Post by gtmize »

waynemcc999 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:19 pm I use 2 sets (each with 3 SD cards... NAV, PFD, MFD)... one set is in the plane, and the other set gets the online updates at flygarmin.com. This is the process I use for updating the G1000 via the SD cards:

1. All power off
2. Remove lower cards and replace with updated Garmin PFD and MFD cards in their respective slots
3. Remove MFD top card
4. Put a single updated NAV card in the top PFD slot
5. Master "On"
6. You will get a prompt to update the database. Press the button below "Yes"
7. When finished, power off
8. Remove NAV card from top PFD slot and move to top MFD slot
9. Master "On"
10. Same prompt to update database, but on the MFD this time. Select "Yes"
11. Once complete, verify that the databases are up to date on the MFD splash screen
12. The cards stay where you have placed them (1 in the PFD lower, and 2 in the MFD)

The top MFD slot will record flight data on that NAV card that you can take home and analyze, plug into maps, have Savvy analyze if you see any hiccups, etc.

I take the cards that have been removed home and refresh them with the next database when available.

Wayne - to make two sets of MFD / PFD cars can you copy using a PC or do you have to create new PDF / MDF cards from the Garmin website. I like your approach of having two sets .. easier updates & backup if one gets trashed.

thanks
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Gary, I expect you can copy the SD cards directly with Windows/Mac... but I'm not certain as I bought the plane in 2015 with 2 sets of cards. I do know that you must also include in the copy the "hidden" files which I believe include some Garmin licensing info.
Best wishes,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot