First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N430JP
Airports: KBDR

uAvionix ADS-B out solution

Post by Scotsman58 »

Did any of you who went to Oshkosh see this:

https://www.uavionix.com/news/uavionix- ... -solution/

Seems like a really clever, almost zero-installation solution for someone who doesn't need integrated ASD-B "in" (and from reading some of the prior posts on the Garmin GTX 345, I'm wondering whether, even if I thought I wanted full ADS-B "in" integration, I would ever really get that on my non-WAAS G1000 setup).

uAvionix are apparently planning on getting this approved (via STC) for a number of aircraft. I'm wondering if anybody asked whether the DA40 is on the list.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: uAvionix ADS-B out solution

Post by Steve »

I hope so, as this looks like an elegant solution. Two potential problems I see with the installation would be loss of the strobe on that side, and loss of the rear-facing white position light on that side as well. No reason why they couldn't come out with a Rev. B version with an integrated LED strobe and position light. That would also have the benefit of dumping about 4 pounds of strobe power supplies out of the wingtips...

They also mentioned an ADS-B "in" solution for the opposite side, which would be great for me since I don't have a G-1000 anyway, and will likely end up using Foreflight on my iPad anyway. They have a couple of years until I plan on jumping in...

Steve
Scotsman58
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N430JP
Airports: KBDR

Post by Scotsman58 »

I hadn't realized that this product doesn't include a strobe light, or the rear-facing white position light, and so wouldn't in its current form be able to replace the strobe/position light housing on a DA40. Maybe they will offer different versions.
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

Check out Garmin's latest 2000 dollar out solution.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
JamesDS
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: James
Aircraft Registration: N730DS
Airports: KMCC

Post by JamesDS »

Steve wrote:I hope so, as this looks like an elegant solution. Two potential problems I see with the installation would be loss of the strobe on that side, and loss of the rear-facing white position light on that side as well. No reason why they couldn't come out with a Rev. B version with an integrated LED strobe and position light. That would also have the benefit of dumping about 4 pounds of strobe power supplies out of the wingtips...

They also mentioned an ADS-B "in" solution for the opposite side, which would be great for me since I don't have a G-1000 anyway, and will likely end up using Foreflight on my iPad anyway. They have a couple of years until I plan on jumping in...

Steve
I visited uAvionix web site and they had a questionnaire asking if I would be interested in a strobe and rear light integrated into the SkyBeacon unit. If enough people reply positively, they may do this. This is an elegant solution for all DA40 planes without WAAS. With steam gauge panel, a tablet is needed anyway for navigation, traffic, and weather. With a G1000 without WAAS, a tablet is needed for ADS-B weather. Foreflight brought the $200 Scout, a tiny ADS-B in receiver to the Oshkosh event. It was made with collaboration from uAvionix.
uAvionix predicts that it will have FAA authorization for the SkyBeacon in experimental aircraft in the fall of 2017 and for Part 23 GA planes in spring 2018. Without the added lighting it still would not work for the DA40. That is a lot of "ifs". However, this company appears to have skilled technical people who have developed a whole group of GPS products with very high functionality. They have also delivered these products, so I am hopeful. https://www.uavionix.com/products/skybeacon/
2007 DA40XL GFC700 autopilot, Avidyne TAS 600, non-WAAS G1000 panel, software 0321.22
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Steve »

uAvionix is taking orders for the Experimental version now. Here is the Install/User Manual:

https://uavionix.com/downloads/skybeaco ... Manual.pdf

All of 4 pages long! This is the version without the strobe/rear position light. There may be a bit more wiring for that one. I also indicated that I would be interested in the Certified version with strobe and rear position light. I even volunteered my airplane as a test-bed aircraft! 8)

Steve
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Sorry everyone, but my understanding of both the uAvionix unit and Garmin's GDL-82 is that they both "sniff" transponder output and then handle the ADS-B "out", BUT... ONLY if you have a Mode A/C transponder, while we are "blessed" with Mode S transponders. In other words, they won't work in our planes.

Sandy
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Steve »

I have a B/K KT76C (Mode A/C) unit...
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Sandy wrote:Sorry everyone, but my understanding of both the uAvionix unit and Garmin's GDL-82 is that they both "sniff" transponder output and then handle the ADS-B "out", BUT... ONLY if you have a Mode A/C transponder, while we are "blessed" with Mode S transponders. In other words, they won't work in our planes.

Sandy
That sounds odd. Is not the mode S response format a superset of mode C?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
rbickford
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bob
Aircraft Registration: N500NA
Airports: 6B6 KIZG

Post by rbickford »

I exchanged an email with SkyBeacon today asking about their product for a DA 40. The response was:

'The DA40 has been a tough nut for us to crack so far. The skyBeacon will be approved for install but every DA40 I've seen has a three function wingtip light.

It includes:
Position/Nav Light
Anti-Collision/Strobe
Rear Position/Nav

skyBeacon does not have the rear position light feature which makes it unsuitable for the DA40. We're working on adapters but it's likely months away.'

I did ask if they were committing to a time frame on the ADS-B Out product. Will update this post if I hear back on that.