5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: uAvionix ADS-B out solution

Post by Rich »

rbickford wrote:Hopefully uAvionix would source the same strobe so it would be plug and play for that. Ive worked on my Whalen lights and it is pretty easy to replace any of the components.
I hadn't thought of that aspect - replacing individual components within. The Orions have no provision for replacing internal components that have failed. If you blow even one LED (there are 32 per side), you are required to replace the entire unit.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: uAvionix ADS-B out solution

Post by Steve »

rbickford wrote:...Hopefully uAvionix would source the same strobe so it would be plug and play for that. I've worked on my Whalen lights and it is pretty easy to replace any of the components. No way of avoiding having to have the Nav lights on all the time with this design. Will see where this goes.
They won't use a strobe tube - no way they will have HV on the same board as the GPS receiver. I think they should just make it compatible with the A600 form factor and functionality (red position, strobe, rear white position, all LEDs). Removing the Whelen power supply is a big yawn - 4 phillips head screws and a correction to the W&B.One could leave the right side system intact, but they say they are also coming out with an ADS-B in for the R side.