4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Garmin Announcement re ADS-B

Post by Sandy »

I have been listening to Garmin's new product announcements in their webinar. As those of us who have non-WAAS G1000 DA40's already know, we can add ADS-B by replacing the existing GTX1 LRU with a GTX345R (with WAAS), along with the required GPS antenna (GA35 being the one preferred by Garmin, but certain combo XM/GPS WAAS and Comm/GPS WAAS antennas being possibilities, provided they have sufficient gain).

Garmin has now announced its GDL82 ADS-B out, which includes WAAS, and connects, inline, to the existing XPDR antenna. It still needs a new GPS WAAS antenna, with the GA35 being recommended. The list on the GDL82 is $1795, and it is only an ADS-B Out solution. However, as long as our software versions do not support ADS-B weather, anyway, whereby we still have to rely upon ForeFlight/Stratus for weather, it seems to be a significant savings (both equipment and installation costs) to go with the GDL82 and use the FF/Stratus for both traffic (displayed there anyway) and weather.

The only question is whether they have included the DA40 on the STC.

Sandy
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Re: Garmin Announcement re ADS-B

Post by Sandy »

pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

It doesn't look like it has been published by the FAA yet. Here's to hoping.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

Too bad it is 978 Mhz. I will need to equip my canadian plane with ADS-B out for going to the U.S. so the GDL82 fits the bill for that mission. However, Copa (The canadian AOPA) is strongly hinting that NAV Canada will eventually require ADS-B out for canadian airspace eventually. And in Canada we're on 1090.

If eventually means more than ten years, then I can go with the GDL82. However, if eventually means 2025 then I would hate to have to remove the GDL82 and pay for yet another ADS-B out solution. I hope Copa and Nav Canada can tell us what future lies ahead for us before 2020.
ricksigler
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: N741DS
Airports: KABQ

Post by ricksigler »

It's about time Garmin came up with an affordable solution! I suspect they had it all along and were just waiting until the demand for the much more expensive solutions slowed down. This will be perfect for me since I have TAS and XM weather. The install looks like it will be really easy (hopefully much less expensive). I really hope Diamond approves the install. I really don't want to move to a Class D airport 1/1/2020, but I will if the solution is still $8K - $11K.

Rick
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Where is the simple solution for those of us who have G1000 WAAS and think it makes sense to expect that ADS-B traffic and Wx will display on our MFD, integrated with our Avidyne traffic?
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Sandy »

@rwtucker...

Apparently, you will have a choice between the following:

GTX345R - You will get ADS-B traffic and weather on your MFD, but no TAS or NexRad; or

GDL82 (if approved) - You will continue to get TAS (and NexRad, if you have it) on your MFD, but you will require
iPad/ForeFlight (or Garmin Pilot)/Stratus to get ADS-B In with weather and traffic on your iPad.

As I presently understand it, there does not, and probably will not be, any way to combine TAS and ADS-B on the MFD (At least that was the last word I got from Garmin).
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

This unit looks like a viable improvement in cost for some folks (unit is considerably cheaper than most other solutions. But one might curb one's enthusiasm until checking further.

I doubt installation costs will be much lower than $2K. You still need to add (or change) an antenna, figure out and construct a mounting bracket, fabricate and install additional coax, add a breaker to power the unit and run the leads, configure it (software on a PC connected to it?), and do the paperwork (337+W&B tweak).

I suspect also that you need have a Mode S transponder for this to work correctly. For some that's an additional non-trivial expense.

To drift the thread a little bit, the fact that this is UAT means it provides for "anonymous" mode. This is touted by folks who don't want "them" knowing what "you" are doing. But it's a pretty lame ability. Superficially, it allows you to suppress transmission of your registration number when VFR. But it's more restrictive than that. You're allowed to do this specifically when squawking 1200. Of course you can be VFR and not be a "1200", such as when getting flight following or operating in concert with approach or departure in (or even near) certain airspace.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Sandy wrote:Apparently, you will have a choice between the following:
GTX345R - You will get ADS-B traffic and weather on your MFD, but no TAS or NexRad; or
GDL82 (if approved) - You will continue to get TAS (and NexRad, if you have it) on your MFD, but you will require
iPad/ForeFlight (or Garmin Pilot)/Stratus to get ADS-B In with weather and traffic on your iPad.

As I presently understand it, there does not, and probably will not be, any way to combine TAS and ADS-B on the MFD (At least that was the last word I got from Garmin).
If true, this seems nothing short of irresponsible on Diamond's part. For those who choose not to add an iPad to the required equipment list (a perferctly reasonable choice, IMO), the outcome is to lose our expensive TAS to comply with the ADS-B mandate? And where is the Diamond software release that will even do that?
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Sandy »

@Rich... According to one avionics shop (a Garmin dealer) I spoke with, they expect that the GDL82 can be mounted in the rear of the plane, using its own bracket, and it can simply be wired inline to the XPDR LRU, tap power off that LRU, so it uses the existing breaker, and then replace the existing XM antenna (internal to the fuselage) with a combo XM/GPS WAAS antenna, like the Comant CI 428-410, so that the entire job is internal and needs no wire fishing. As for the existing XM antenna and the new GA35 that comes with the GDL82, he suggested eBay. As the GDL82 includes its own "sniffer" to determine and sync XPDR codes, there will be no software configuration, as the aircraft N-number is already encoded, and it already shows up on ATC and ADS-B displays.

@rwtucker... The 2020 mandate is only fo ADS-B Out, so the iPad, which provides ADS-B In, is not required.