3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Re: Garmin Announcement re ADS-B

Post by arksat »

It's a shame.. I was hoping GDL82 would work with G1000. Looks like I need to proceed with $11k avenue..
ricksigler
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: N741DS
Airports: KABQ

Post by ricksigler »

Sandy,

You're kidding right? Garmin finally comes out with an affordable solution, but it won't work on our planes. Oh wait; I forgot we're dealing with Garmin here. Why offer an affordable solution for all DA40 owners when you can get more money out of them with the 335 and 345. The issue may be mute though because I'm heading to Lancaster in less than three weeks to fly a Sting, SportCruiser and Bristell. If I like one of them, the DA40 goes up for sale as soon as I get back and someone else can deal with the ADS-B upgrade (if needed). I'll miss the DA40 but not the Lycoming using oil, AD's, Magnetos, etc.

Rick
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Rick,

My prior plane was a 2008 Czech SportCruiser, and I am familiar with the Bristell folks, as well. In fact, while flying my DA40 on an IFR flight plan to Sun N Fun in April, I was talking to the Tampa Approach controller when someone on frequency said, "Hi, Sandy!" It was John Rathmell from the Lancaster Bristell location. Lou Mancuso, on Long Island, is another good guy from Bristell. While I don't know anything about the Sting, I like a number of features about the Bristell vs. the SportCruiser, particularly that it has the Rotax 912iS (fuel injected) engine that gets about 30% better fuel economy. Also, U.S. Sport Aircraft, the longtime U.S. distributor for the SportCruiser is no longer their U.S. distributor, as they opened their own location in Florida. PM me if you want more info.

Sandy
ricksigler
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: N741DS
Airports: KABQ

Post by ricksigler »

PM sent. Thanks.

Rick
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Notwithstanding the fact that Kyle Lennemann, Aviation Associate Sales Manager, Garmin International, specifically told me that the GDL-82 could not be used with my G1000 as its GTX 33 is a mode S transponder, I just saw a recent post at https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewto ... ilit=gdl82 attributed to Trek A. Lawler, Supervisor, Garmin Aviation Field Service Engineering, Aviation Product Support, Mr. Lawler stated that the GDL-82 is an option for G1000 aircraft, but that a new WAAS GPS antenna would be required.

For what it's worth, the GDL-82 Installation Manual, at Section 1.3, specifically states, "The GDL 82 should not be installed with a Mode S transponder."

I am trying to get further clarification from both Garmin and Diamond.

Sandy