3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N446SB
Airports: KPIE KTHA

Re: ADS-B Install Experience

Post by Ultrapilot1 »

Oh just realized the issue. You have WAAS! So yes u will see weather as well as traffic. Non-WAAS does not see weather
Cschobel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charlie
Aircraft Registration: N68C
Airports: KLZU

Post by Cschobel »

thanks
Charlie Schobel
N68C
Www.rollingwithkc.com
KLZU
ricksigler
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: N741DS
Airports: KABQ

Post by ricksigler »

Here's a draft of the letter I'm going to send to the President and my Senators and Representatives concerning the mandate. I will appreciation any suggestions the members may have on improving the letter (other than sitting back and doing nothing). It's probably a waste of time, but at least I'll know I tried. Thanks.

Rick

"Dear,

On May 28, 2010, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) published 14 CFR 91.225 wherein the FAA added to existing regulations “equipage requirements and performance standards for ADS–B Out avionics on aircraft operating in Classes A, B, and C airspace, as well as certain other specified classes of airspace within the U.S.” to provide at least ADS-B Out. This regulation creates a significant financial burden for all aircraft owners and especially to the General Aviation Fleet. Some aircraft owners will find the cost to comply with this mandate to equal one third to one half of the market value of their aircraft.

I am a private pilot and own a 2007 Diamond Star DA40 and fly solely for pleasure. The Diamond Star DA40 is a small single engine, piston driven, four place airplane. My airplane is based at the Albuquerque International Airport (Class C airspace). The FAA has mandated through the regulation that as of January 1, 2020, I will no longer be able to fly my plane to and from the Albuquerque airport or any other class C or B airports or at 10,000 feet msl and above unless I equip my plane with additional avionics that will comply with the requirements of the regulation. The current prices for the upgrade according to pilot’s experience reported on the Diamond Pilots Forum, is anywhere from $8,000 to $11,000.

Based on a webinar I attended, the major impact of having an airplane equipped with ADS-B out, will be to change the current position update to Air Traffic Control to 4 seconds rather than the current 12 seconds. The FAA will argue that there are other benefits, but as of now they are unproven. I feel that forcing me and other general aviation pilots to spend $8,000 to $11,000 to provide an 8 second difference in position reporting is outrageous. I hope you will agree and will pursue appropriate actions to ease the burden on general aviation pilots and owners.

I would like to offer some possible solutions to this onerous burden that I hope you will consider:

1. Amend the regulation to exempt all aircraft with a maximum cruise speed of 250 knots or less from compliance. This would be a really simple solution that would keep the mandate for the faster and higher flying aircraft.
2. Amend the regulation to exempt all aircraft not flying in Class A airspace (18,000 feet and above) and/or Class B airspace (the busiest large airports).
3. Have the Federal Government reimburse the owners of the airplane for the cost of complying with the mandate. This would be a considerable expense, but in terms of the amount of money the Federal Government spends for other much less beneficial programs, it would be insignificant.
4. Ease the significant restrictions on the type of equipment that can be used to comply with the mandate so manufacturers will be able to provide equipment at a greatly reduced price with a corresponding reduction in the installation price.
5. Require compliance with the mandate for aircraft only produced after January 31, 1999. This would require manufacturers to include the equipment in newly produced aircraft and the buyers would be clearly aware of the cost of the mandate. This would allow for a transition to the ADS-B mandate over a number of years.

I’m sure there are other solutions that I have not thought of and would certainly appreciate any that you could propose that would help the General Aviation Fleet continue flying without incurring this onerous and unplanned expense.

Thank you very much for your consideration and service you provide to your constituents and our country.

Sincerely yours,"
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

Nice letter. Definitely send it.

I think the issue is that, having worked in the political world, (presumably affluent) private pilots with (expensive) private airplanes flying for pleasure aren't a constituency for the politicians and bureaucrats to care about. (It is unlikely that there are very many politicians, bureaucrats, or voting constituents who own their own airplanes, for example.) Further, the risk is that some private guy in a private plane whacks a commercial flight the wrong way and the politicians see TV commercials running against them in the next election.

In addition, we need to get the Garmin / Diamond STC situation figured out. It adds unnecessary expense and limits the value. Further, the planes are turning into collections of technologies at different ages, exactly what the point of the G1000 was supposed to avoid.
ricksigler
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by ricksigler »

Peter,

Thanks for the comments. You're probably right about the politicians. At least one of my representatives is a pilot and owns his own small plane. Hopefully he will find some value in at least modifying the regulation.

I forgot to mention in my original post that members should feel free to copy paste and modify my letter and send it to Washington. Shouldn't require much effort and it will only cost a stamp. The more that are sent, the more likely they might at least look at the issue. My copilot buddy has a Piper he's on their forum and is going to encourage the members to join the letter writing campaign.

I've decided to wait until January 31, 1999 in hopes something happens to reduce the cost. If not, I'll move my plane to a Class D airport that is just a little bit farther than KABQ and then see what happens to the cost when the demand is greatly reduced.

Rick
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

wait until January 31, 1999
That's going to be a short wait.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Did you send your letters Rick? If so, have you had any responses other than the boilerplate letters that restate your concerns while providing no indication Senator or Congressman's commitment to action?
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Colin,

You must not have a DA-Lorean.
ricksigler
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by ricksigler »

Rob,

Haven't sent them yet. I was waiting to see if anyone had suggestions for improvement. They'll go out early next week.

Rick