5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: ADS-B Install Experience

Post by Rich »

I've been finding the "GND" mode helpful at our out-in-the-sticks airport.

First of all, the aircraft that are the busiest are run by Hillsboro aviation. And they've all been ADS-B out equipped (and they're not the only ones, BTW). When they have their avionics active they start transmitting 1090ES (others perhaps 978UAT). As soon as I have booted up FF/Stratus I can see the presence of the plane and its location. Even though we can't see each other. The latter because hangars block the view of most taxiway, ramp, and other hangar areas.

This allows me to often anticipate someone taxiing along and avoid a situation where we could wind up with both of us facing each other and no way to pass :x

And, of course, as I'm ready to take off I can better locate such planes in the pattern or on a long approach if they fail to call in or have called in unintelligibly (we have quite a few Chinese nationals undergoing flight training here all the time and they're English elocution is not at crisply perfect as my own 8-) ).
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

My understanding is that ASD-B OUT both actively communicates with other aircraft equipped with ADS-B OUT (a subset of transponder equipped aircraft) to display their location, etc. AND passively receives from ground stations ATC traffic information, which is based on ground-based radar painting all transponder equipped aircraft. (To complicate things, 978 ADS-B OUT aircraft communicate only with other 978 ASD-B OUT aircraft, similarly 1090 ADS-B OUT aircraft only communicate with each other -- both receive ground station information.) Thus, all transponder equipped aircraft are shown, but there may be less information and latency issues with those shown that are not also ADS-B OUT equipped or equipped with a different frequency ADS-B OUT. For a good explanation see http://airfactsjournal.com/2013/01/ads- ... ould-care/
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
kelson73
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kristopher
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Airports: CYKF

Post by kelson73 »

A Garmin GTX335 for example is a 1090ES out transponder that meets the US ADS-B mandate but does not listen to another aircrafts transponder.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

ADS-B OUT equipment (unless of course it's IN/OUT), does not listen for anything, except in the sense that an ADS-B OUT transponder also is a mode-S transponder and responds in the traditional way to radar inquiries.

ADS-B IN listens on one or both 1090ES and 978UAT. It is really dumb to have a device that is only single-band, as it won't be receiving data directly on the other band and requiring it to be relayed through the ground station infrastructure. Moreover, if you were to have only 1090ES IN, you would not get inflight weather and notams and such because this is transmitted over 978UAT. This is due to bandwidth considerations on the 1090 freq.

There are very few ADS-B IN devices that are not dual-band, but they do exist. Fortunately there are all kinds of relatively inexpensive portable solutions, mostly tablet-based, that not only provide dual-band ADS-B IN, but integrate the information (traffic, weather, TFR's, etc.) into IFR enroute and VFR charts, approach plates, and taxi diagrams.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
kelson73
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by kelson73 »

Unfortunately there is no UAT at all in Canada.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

Having now taken a few long flights in very crowded SoCal and NorCal airspace I have to say that ADS-B is pretty dang nice. For the first time I can actually look at the traffic display and spot the airplane out the canopy with relative ease. This has not been that true of either TIS or TAS targets. Having the tail numbers / flight IDs helps sort out what the approach / departure folks are doing with spacing. More is more here, though admittedly expensive. Going forward I wouldn't bother putting in a TAS unless required or spending a lot of time in non-radar geography.

The connection to the iPad is reasonably good for passing a little time and the G1000 shows both the FIS-B weather, NOTAMs, and TFRs (via UAT) and traffic (via 1090ES) well.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I love seeing the tail numbers and being able to say to ATC, "Are you talking to two lima bravo? Do you know if they are going to continue their climb?"
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
TJS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: CGMTS
Airports:

Post by TJS »

are there Canadians the have done their ADS b update installations, if so where, what and how much.
I have a g1000 waas plane with traffic. quotes have been scary and much higher than the US prices on this thread.
closer to $20g can.
kelson73
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by kelson73 »

TJS have you contacted the factory? They have installed them in their AMO and obviously have the experience to deal with the antenna installation as well. Close to CYCK too.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I had my ADS-B installed at the factory but my numbers are meaningless because they were done with much larger work (WAAS upgrade, A/P upgrade).
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)