4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Re: ADS-B Install Experience

Post by Sandy »

I just got an email from Garmin saying that the new GDL 82 will NOT work in our G1000 equipped DA40s, as we have GTX 33 mode S transponders, while the GDL82 will only work with mode A/C transponders. I was told, "The GDL 82 can only be used with Mode A/C transponders. The DA-40 comes standard with a GTX 33, which is a mode S transponder and is not compatible with the GDL 82."

I just looked at the UAvionix Echo, and it appears to have the same issue, as the Sporty's info http://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/avpage ... -15205.php says, "Keep your Mode C transponder (Already have a KT76A, Narco, Garmin Mode C, Apollo, Becker, Funkwerk, Microair or Terra? With the echoUAT wireless transponder monitor, there is no need to replace your existing transponder.)"

Gotta love it...

Sandy
greg
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Airports:

Post by greg »

I'm seriously jealous of those of you at have had a simple ADS-B installation. My story is a bit different. I have a 2007 non-WAAS XL, so the GTX 345 with internal GPS receiver was the only choice. Because the GDL 69 is a boat anchor in this part of the world, I had that disconected at the same time. (It's still in the aircraft at the moment, but I'll remove it once things settle down to recover some weight and improve the CofG. The engineer doesn't think this has anything to do with the problems we've had, but I mention it just in case.)

While the ADS-B part works well, the interfacing between the TAS 600 and the GTX345 has never worked. The avionics shop spent weeks going back and forth with Garmin trying to get it to work, but in the end nothing worked. I've now got the plane back without the active traffic, with the "hope" that Garmin will work out what's going wrong. Apparently this is not the only case; the engineer is aware of four aircraft with this problem on the field. Of course, I'm a bit dubious that a solution will be found, now the plane isn't clogging up his hangar...

I like the ADS-B in traffic display, but I miss the TAS 600 traffic. In Australia, the ASD-B mandate only applies to IFR aircraft, and with our generally benign weather, there are a lot of planes that didn't get it fitted. Those are now invisible to me.

I'm not expecting anyone will have a solution to this - I just hope you all have better luck than I did.
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Has anyone any experience/information about L-3 NGT 9000R+ witch seems to supply ADS-B in/out + traffic ?
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
LTek1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lee
Airports: KFCI

Post by LTek1 »

Jean, that's what I have. But I don't have it tied to any display other than my iPad, as my Avidyne panel won't support ADS-B info and my GNS430s are too old to do so, too.

Really, that's why I spent the extra money on it; I had no other option for in-panel display of traffic and weather. The iPad is great, but I like fixed solutions.

I do like it. The touch screen takes a few minutes to get used to, but info is easily accessible and the split screen display is nice. Punching in squawk codes is not as fast as doing it on real buttons, but not bad. Haven't tried in turbulence.

I am waiting for guidance from L3 as my transponder failed my ADS-B rebate flight. "Mode 3A" had 11 failures and 19 seconds of down time. Looks like it wasn't reporting my squawk code properly.
Lee Dickinson
N282DS, 2003 DA40 at KOFP
Avidyne Entegra (!), Dual GNS430, KAP140
kelson73
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kristopher
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Airports: CYKF

Post by kelson73 »

Weather data is not available on GDU sw versions below 12.00. METARs/TAFs are not available on GDU sw v13.00 through v13.07. NEXRAD is not available on GDU sw v14.00 through v14.04 and v15.00 through v15.11. The the latest DA40 GDU software is in the 9.15 range WAAS or non.

The GIA63W is not at a new enough level either on the DA40 to be an approved position source so can someone point me in the direction of antenna installation approval for the GTX WAAS antenna? Garmin's GTX AML STC SA01714WI covers WAAS, WAAS/XM plus a few VHF combinations as well for interface but not the structural approval for a composite or fabric aircraft, nor does their antenna STC SA02018SE-D. The latter STC does not say that the WAAS antenna can be mounted inside a composite aircraft either even if it works just fine. The bracket that the GDL XM antenna (GA55) is mounted to is not large enough for the WAAS antenna ground plane, XM = 4.0" radius but WAAS = 7.5". If someone out there has approval for installing a WAAS antenna to the skin of the DA40 I would be interested in purchasing this data. 8110 does not work for Canada C- registered machines so I'm really looking for an STC instead of having to develop my own.
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: DAVID
Aircraft Registration: N542GL
Airports: KTAD

Post by dwurfel »

I have to admit I am getting fairly confused on the ADS B transition. I have a 2012 XLS with G1000 Waas. Any help with what direction I should/must go would be appreciated. Also if anyone has experience with a great avionics shop in the
Denver/Albuquerque area would be appreciated as well. Also has anyone used the Garmin support telephone line for support for this question. I found them to be very helpful when I was having problems with dbase updates that an avionics shop in Chicago screwed up. Thanks
kelson73
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kristopher
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Airports: CYKF

Post by kelson73 »

In my opinion the GTX series is probably the best option for a DA40 G1000 owner. I'm having trouble in Canada getting a WAAS antenna installed on the skin of the aircraft but in the US a field approval process can get you there; Canada doesn't have a process like this. If your aircraft is WAAS equipped that's good but the GPS software in the DA40 is not current enough to be an approved position source. A unit like the GTX345R with an internal WAAS GPS receiver can be used and either install a new WAAS antenna or split the GPS signal from one of the existing WAAS antennas to feed one of the GIA63Ws and the GTX, this is what Garmin did on their DA40. Most of the interface is there and just needs to be converted from a GTX33 to a GTX345R but there are some other wires that would need to be added. If your aircraft has traffic (TAS) then the GTX becomes a "traffic HUB" for both active and ADS-B alerts. This means the audio wiring from the TAS can be re-purposed to the audio panel to now come from the GTX.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

We're installing a GTX 345R with a new combined GPS (WAAS)/XM antenna now. My airplane has WAAS, TAS, and a GDL-69A. Uniformly we have heard of poor experiences with GPS splitters, regardless of what Garmin did with theirs, as the signals are extremely weak to begin with. Better to just put in a new WAAS-capable antenna if necessary.

I'll let you know how it goes. The plane is due back ... tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: DAVID
Aircraft Registration: N542GL
Airports: KTAD

Post by dwurfel »

Thanks Kristopher and Peter. Peter let me know how it comes out. If possible would love to know how many hours of labor it took. Dave
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

So far it has been a little bit of a beast, but not terrible. I tried to upload a picture several different ways, but it's not letting me.

The antenna is a GA 37 combined WAAS GPS/XM and a replacement for the original XM antenna. It required an extra hole to attach, but otherwise trivial. Airplanes without XM or WAAS will require a new antenna and the WAAS airplanes can, if they have the belief, wait until the G1000 software is updated to be a location source for the GTX 345R.