5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Re: ADS-B Install Experience

Post by rwtucker »

Jeremy,

This is welcome information. It sounds like you also have Avidyne TAS600 installed. If so, is it still functional and, if so, does it still display on the MFD or aural only?
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

I read the GTX345 installation manual the other day (sitting on a 787 to Asia) and it shows the box taking input from the TAS600 (and other TAS boxes) and then de-duped with the ADS-B traffic targets. The G1000 receives only one traffic source (the GTX345) and doesn't "see" the TAS600. This setup allows the G1000 to show ADS-B traffic where available and TAS traffic where ADS-B isn't available.

I'm interested to see the weather data being provided through both streams (GDL 69 and GTX 345) to the G1000. That makes sense given the other types of G1000 installations out there that have multiple weather sources, but somewhat unexpected given the conversation above. Phew.

At the end of the day a new software update for the G1000 seems to only remove the need for the third GPS antenna.

I'd be interested to hear if there would be any additional functionality provided...?
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by rwtucker »

pietromarx wrote:. . .the box taking input from the TAS600 (and other TAS boxes) and then de-duped with the ADS-B traffic targets. The G1000 receives only one traffic source (the GTX345) and doesn't "see" the TAS600. This setup allows the G1000 to show ADS-B traffic where available and TAS traffic where ADS-B isn't available.
This would be perect for me. It is a little hard for pilots in more populated areas to understand but TAS600 will still be useful to me when flying in areas largely populated by Super Cubs many of which have no plans to install ADS-B.

So . . . the GTX345 is doing the de-duping, as it were, and in the case of there being only one target (the TAS600 in some cases for me) it will pass that one through to the MFD?
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by pietromarx »

So . . . the GTX345 is doing the de-duping, as it were, and in the case of there being only one target (the TAS600 in some cases for me) it will pass that one through to the MFD?
Yes, that's exactly it.

Per the wiring diagram, the audio from the TAS600 is not connected, too. This means that the aural notifications ("traffic!") come only from the GTX345.
beetlebug
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: JC
Aircraft Registration: N1234567
Airports:

Post by beetlebug »

Yes, they both work. TAS600 traffic shows up as diamonds (as they look today), ADS-B traffic as triangles with direction lines.

I found this guide extremely helpful: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01499-01_A.pdf
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

For those who are saying they have the option for FIS-B weather, is this with a WAAS G1000, or pre-WAAS? My understanding is that there is no software update available for those of us with older G1000s, to support FIS-B weather. But if weather and traffic do work with all G1000 models, that's fantastic news.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by pietromarx »

The implication from the installation manual is that "legacy G1000s" that support the various interfaces with weather and traffic services (GDL-69, GDL-69A, TAS 600, TIS, GDL-90, etc.) will be compatible with the GTX-345. I admit that I can't tell the supported or required software versions from the installation manuals (and pilot manuals) I've seen.

The debate on the software side for the G1000 appears to be really around whether the G1000 provides location data *to* the GTX-345. Our software today on the DA-40 G1000 of any flavor does not support this. For non-WAAS airplanes this is a non-factor since only WAAS GPSes have sufficient resolution to to support the required RNP for ADS-B. (Translation: only WAAS-capable GPSes provide a specific enough location to the ADS-B output, so you need either a WAAS GPS in the form of a WAAS G1000 with the right software (not available today on DA-40s) or a WAAS GPS antenna that comes with the GTX-345R.)
Localizer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Yuri
Aircraft Registration: N779US
Airports: KGMU

Post by Localizer »

Hi all,
I've just picked my airplane from a shop where they installed ADS-B In and Out. It took 5 days. Everything is well. I now see a ton of traffic. I have Avidyne TAS600 and non-WAAS G1000. So far I've flown for slightly more than an hour and like what I see a lot. Saw some benign weather on screen too (I do have XM Weather subscription too).
A side note, but it made a huge difference. I've replaced MFD screen too. It was getting dark and difficult to see in the sun... now that I've seen the new screen, I just have not realized how bad the old one was. I will probably replace the PFD now too. Mine is a 2007 aircraft, and it just blows my mind how new MFD screen differs from the original PFD.
Last time I saw such a vibrant screen was when I was flying DA62 last year. :)
DA40 40.779
RV-10 build is in progress.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by pietromarx »

What were the various costs involved for the GTX and GDU units and installations?

Many thanks
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by rwtucker »

Yuri,

Was your old screen growing dimmer? If so, how many hours on it? Or, is the new display just a brighter technology? My 2007/8 screens are very bright. I don't know if they have lost some brightness but I do not detect any loss.