3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Gearing up for a long XC

Post by BlueYonder »

Starting to feel like I'm impinging on your good graces here, but the other threads have been so helpful that I'm gonna go for another one.

I'm heading out in mid-April on the longest XC solo flight I've ever done -- Seattle to Houston (fairly directly) and then back (via a longer, more meandering route). My plane is currently outfitted with essential day-flight gear (ears, eyes, maintenance stuff like tire gauge and tools, basic emergency stuff like headlamps and radios, a small suite of cleaning supplies, oil).

I'm starting to assemble the kind of items I'll need for a longer trip. Would love suggestions. What do you carry on long flights that makes you feel better prepared? Beyond the basic stuff like survival blankets and first aid kits....
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Re: Gearing up for a long XC

Post by Charles »

A long XC is just a series of normal day-flights so in my mind doesn't call for much special equipment. That being said, a day-flight over inhospitable terrain does call for special equipment and supplies which you seem prepared for.

A "range extender" can sometimes be handy on long flights. And of course the ultimate tool: a bit of cash a good credit card.
Diamond13
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Registration: CYXU
Airports: CYXU

Post by Diamond13 »

water, hand held compass, space blanket or 2, granola bars, small mirror, bic lighter x 2, sun block, hat, all these items weigh little, but could save your bacon. :)
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

The Sporty's Savvy Breakdown Assistance proved it's worth on a recent long XC for me. See http://sportys.com/pilotshop/sporty-s-b ... ogram.html
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

I have some inexpensive day-glo micro-fibre wipes. You can use them to clean the canopy, and in the event of a forced landing, they can be spread out for visibility to help SAR.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Swiss army knife :D sorry couldn't resist this one! You may also want to consider a hand held radio (we don't make them in Switzerland so this one is credible advice) although I must admit I never had one despite doing some XCs...

One item that has nothing to do with survival kit but that I find extremely useful on any travelling in my DA40:
it is an O2 system. The DA40 can climb extremely high if necessary and this would open up this option in case of convective buildups.

I find such weather situations MUCH easier to understand and therefore less dangerous when seen from above a layer.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Sara,
Listed below is an email we received (from the late Dale Hemman) in preparation for our Alaskan trip. It really contains everything (actually more than everything) you need to know. I would suggest reading through this, x-ing out what you know you don't want, and then putting together a kit. Although we never used our kit it didn't weigh very much (other than the long handled axe) and made us much more comfortable flying all around the US knowing that the 10lb survival kit is there with us.
Cary

Alaska’s requirement
Canada’s requirements
Some perspective
Suggested Resource
Discount code for your survival purchases
What I carry

In order to have a starting point of what items you might need or want for your survival kit we will begin by telling you what the state of Alaska and the government of Canada says you must carry. You have latitude in deciding exactly what items will fill those requirements.

While reading through this keep in mind that you don’t want to cause yourself to need this equipment by overloading your aircraft just to meet the requirements. Every year, despite my best efforts, people come with their aircraft vastly overloaded. People watching us takeoff from our home airport have told me that many aircraft are obviously struggling to get airborne on our first takeoff.

Even though this is a long email I want to share a relevant and somewhat humorous event from a few years ago. One aircraft, a twin Comanche, arrived at our starting point with four adults, fresh clothing for each of our 12 days (that’s 48 sets of clothing), camera equipment, navigation charts, full survival gear, tools, and spare parts, including a cylinder and a complete wheel assembly. The very personable PIC realized he was carrying more than he was comfortable with and convinced a fellow traveler in a single Comanche to carry one of his spare parts, a complete wheel and tire assembly and another in a Bonanza to carry his toolbox. Within a few minutes of takeoff the heavily laden twin experienced an unrelated mechanical issue (or maybe a moment of reality) and aborted his trip. His spare tire, wheel, and toolbox had a delightful trip through Canada and Alaska though with the custodial pilots grumbling at every stop. If I had been thinking more quickly I would have taken a photo of the wheel at each of our stops, kind of like the traveling gnome.

Ironically, on landing at one of our stops in Alaska on this same trip, a wheel actually broke on my own aircraft likely caused by a stress fracture from a tire change a week before departure. The well-traveled spare didn’t fit my airplane but I had a new wheel and tire overnighted from Dallas and made the next day’s scheduled takeoff on time. The moral of this story is: Don’t carry something you are unlikely to need; FedEx, DHL, and UPS deliver overnight to Alaska too.

Before we get into what you should carry let’s address what the law says you must have with you.

Alaska Law requires that the following minimum equipment must be carried during summer months:
1. Rations for each occupant to sustain life for one week
2. One axe or hatchet*
3. One first aid kit
3. Assortment of tackle such as hooks, flies, lines and sinkers
4. One knife
5. Fire starter
6. One mosquito head net for each occupant
7. Two small signaling devices such as colored smoke bombs, railroad fuses or Very pistol shells, in sealed metal containers

Note: The old requirement to carry a firearm** in Alaska is no longer in force.

Canadian Law requires:
1. Food having a calorific value of at least 10,000 calories per person carried, not subject to deterioration by heat or cold and stored in a sealed waterproof container bearing a tag or label on which the operator of the aircraft has certified the amount and satisfactory condition of the food in the container following an inspection made not more than six months prior to the flight
2. Cooking utensils
3. Matches in a waterproof container
4. Stove and a supply of fuel or a self-contained means of providing heat for cooking when operating north of the tree line
5. Portable compass
6. Axe* of at least 2 ½ lbs or one kilogram weight with a handle of not less than 28 inches or 70 centimeters in length
7. Flexible saw blade or equivalent cutting tool
8. Snare wire of at least 30 feet and instructions for use
9. Fishing equipment including still fishing bait and a gill net of not more than a 2 inch mesh
10. Mosquito nets or netting and insect repellant sufficient to meet the needs of all persons carried when operating in an area where insects are likely to be hazardous
11. Tents or engine and wing covers of suitable design and color, or having panels colored in international orange or other high visibility color, sufficient to accommodate all persons carried when operating north of the tree line
12. Winter sleeping bags sufficient in quantity to accommodate all persons carried when operating in an area where the mean daily temperature is likely to be 7 degrees C or less
13. Two pairs of snow shoes when operating in areas where the ground snow cover is likely to be 12 inches or more
14. Signaling mirror
15. At least 3 pyrotechnic distress signals
16. Sharp jackknife or hunting knife of good quality
17. Suitable survival instruction manual
18. Conspicuity panel

Canada also suggests the following additional items:
1. Spare axe handle
2. Honing stone or file
3. Ice chisel
4. Snow knife or snow saw-knife
5. Snow shovel
6. Flashlight with spare bulbs and batteries
7. Pack sack
8. Firearms are carried at the operators discretion**

Note: *A hatchet should not be carried inside the survival kit but should be where it is accusable if needed to assist in egress after a crash.

**If you are going to carry firearms as emergency equipment you must be aware that pistols, revolvers, any weapon with less than an 18& ½ inch barrel, and fully automatic weapons are illegal in Canada and all others require a permit and a $50.00 fee.

Some Perspective
At first glance it looks like you might need a chase plane to carry everything you’re going to need when you add all the things your traveling partner no doubt has said they can’t live without. After we go through these items hopefully you’ll find you really don’t need to go out and buy a DC-3 for the trip.

Remember, the idea with survival gear is to have what you will need for whatever unplanned situation you could reasonably find yourself in. If you are not flying with a group you will want to make sure you have all the above items and you may want to have a few more items as well. It is possible that it could be a while before a rescue aircraft gets to you. If you plan to fly with our group your chances of being in a true survival situation are greatly reduced.

We have had two aircraft go down on our trips. One airplane was a catastrophe resulting in the deaths of two people who intentionally flew away from the group (and our route) on their own and went directly into a mountain. Obviously no amount of survival gear would have changed the outcome.

The other was when my own airplane when a just installed factory remanufactured engine had a catastrophic in-flight failure. Since we were with the group, even though we were over two hundred miles from the nearest towered airport, FSS was notified before my airplane touched the ground. A helicopter was on scene within forty-five minutes and we were back in a native village about an hour after that. Using a satellite phone owned by a village resident, I was able to arrange various forms of transportation and caught up with the group the next morning and continued on in someone else’s airplane. This safety factor is likely one of the major reasons why you have chosen to go with the group, however, you must still prepare for a less than ideal situation.

Now let’s look at the reality of survival equipment and what we really need. One of the most misunderstood items on the survival list is food. While Canada is very specific in saying 10,000 calories per person, Alaska law simply says enough survival food for each occupant to sustain life for one week. Notice it doesn’t say that the food has to be tasty, nor does it say that the people must get fat eating it. In fact, it doesn’t even say the people have to maintain their current weight, just sustain life.

You may also want to take some real survival food along with something you might actually want to eat such as peanut butter, jam, and bread, or candy bars. Think of the things you tell your kids not to eat and that’s probably a pretty good starting point.
Actual survival food can be found in small, personal sized package that will support one person with food and water for up to 3 days. This food usually has a five-year shelf life.

It’s always good to have a “space blanket” which is both highly visible and reflects up to 90% of a person’s body heat.

Alaska requires a hatchet or axe and Canada even specifies a weight. You would use this for egress from a downed airplane or for cutting down small saplings. You are not going to be logging so small is adequate.

Alaska also requires a first aid kit and this is something you should carry with you no matter where you fly. You’ll want to be able to open an airway, stop bleeding, prevent infection and kill pain. You’ll need to be able to make a rudimentary splint either out of items you have in your airplane or from the kit. You can either buy a pre-filled kit or go through the list of what is in some of the pre-made kits and make your own even tailoring it to your own desires.

Alaska says you must have fishing tackle and Canada, obviously knowing what kind of fisherman I am, even requires a gill net with 2-inch or less holes in the netting. This is practically impossible to find in most places because it is illegal to use except in a survival situation unless you are an Indian or “native American”. You can get them from our recommended vendor that you’ll find at the bottom of the page.

The knife is pretty self-explanatory, however, you may want to satisfy this requirement with a multi-purpose tool such as a Leatherman®. That way you will have a basic set of tools that likely will come in handy at some point anyway.

Waterproof matches are a staple of survival gear and a lot of people like to carry a lighter. My fire starting skills are about the same as my fishing skills so I give myself all the edge I can. I carry a small self-lighting butane torch. You can get these at hardware stores, Wal-Mart, or even at Bed, Bath, & Beyond, sold as burnt crème torches.

One thing you will most likely appreciate having in a survival situation is the required mosquito headset for each occupant. They are usually available at outdoor sports stores, or you can make your own. Just pick up a yard or so of tight mesh either from a yard goods store or the most flexible you can find at a hardware store. Keep a brimmed hat available that you can put the mesh over so the mosquitoes can’t get to your ears and tuck the bottom into your shirt or jacket opening. Most likely, a can of Deep Woods OFF will be all you’ll actually use though.

The requirement for two small signaling devices such as colored smoke bombs, railroad fuses (highway flares) or Very pistol shells, in sealed metal containers was obviously written before radios were small, portable and inexpensive. Highway flares are handy for starting a fire and if you have decided to carry a shotgun for survival with slugs and birdshot, you can buy 12-gauge flares that will fire from it as well.

The best communications device in my opinion is a handheld aviation band radio. Wait for an airplane to fly overhead and call on the frequency most likely to be monitored. In Canada that would be 126.7 and in Alaska 122.75 or the local FSS or Center frequency you’ll find in your Alaska Supplement. Another idea is to use 121.5 when you see a contrail of a highflying airplane overhead since military and commercial airliners are required to monitor that emergency frequency.

As you undoubtedly know, searches do not begin for several hours after an aircraft is reported overdue either because of an open flight plan or concerned family members. The first step is a ramp check of the airport of intended landing the, takeoff airport, then alternatives. All this takes time and the soonest it is likely that and aircraft will be launched is six hours or longer after the aircraft’s ETA. If a crash happens shortly after takeoff on a four-hour flight that means it could be as long as ten hours before someone even begins looking for you. I recall reading that the average time it took from crash to finding a downed aircraft was in excess of 72 hours.

As of now the standard fixed ELT designed to transmit a distinct signal on 121.5 MHz can cut down the time it takes to get a search aircraft launched if someone happens to hear it. Once an aircraft with homing equipment arrives in the vicinity of where someone heard the signal it then begins the tedious operation to pinpoint the exact location of the signal.

The FAA now requires that all new ELT installations be to the new TSO standard that will transmit on 406 MHz as the personal ELTs now do. Many of these ELTs also transmit their GPS coordinates greatly reducing both launch times for SAR aircraft and the amount of time it takes to actually pinpoint the lost aircraft. It’s comforting to know that the 406 MHz frequency is monitored by the system of emergency satellites so are not dependent upon aircraft flying overhead.

Canada also requires that all aircraft flying in Canadian airspace have a 406 MHz ELT, however, they have made at least a temporary exception for US registered aircraft.

Some people also like to carry a personal locator device. A nice thing about this personal ELTs is that you’re required to register them with NOAA when you buy one and they therefore know exactly who they’re looking for. You could also make use of it in other activities as well as flying such as mountain climbing, hiking, sailing, etc. SAR is looking not just for an aircraft but you personally.

ACR, the leader in personal survival equipment, currently offers two models; the 406 GPS and the 406 GPS I/O. Both units are 1.74 inches thick, 5.71 inches high, by 3.03 inches wide and weigh 12 ounces. Both will send a 406 MHz signal to the COSPAS-SARSAT satellites as well as the standard 121.5 MHz homing frequency. The difference between the two is the I/O model can be hooked up to an aircraft GPS interface and will not have to acquire a satellite signal on its own before sending it to the satellite. Sporty’s sells the 406 for about $650.00.

For the gadget monsters out there here is another idea; Breitling makes a limited edition production run each year of a multi-function wristwatch that has an ELT transmitter built right into it. You can get all the details by clicking here: http://www.breitling.com/en/models/prof ... esentation.

The transmitter in this watch transmits on 121.5 MHz Even though the emergency satellite system will not hear it, it does have the advantage of transmitting on a frequency that can be heard by both civil and military aircraft. In fact, military aircraft radios have a third selection rather than just off/on. In normal operation military aviators select this third position called “guard” that allows them to monitor 121.5 or 243.0 in the background depending on which radio they’re using.

A word of caution, if you decide to buy this device; you cannot buy a new real Breitling on the Internet. Breitling watches are only sold by authorized Breitling dealers in brick and mortar stores. If it’s not a real Breitling the ELT is undoubtedly phony. The 18 carat gold version runs about $29,500.00 and the titanium version runs about $6,000.00.

Canada is in the process of writing their regulation that will require all aircraft to be equipped with a 406 MHz ELT and it is unclear whether or not it will apply to just Canadian registered aircraft or all aircraft.

Another emergency communication option you may want to consider is a satellite phone. Satellite phones are now about the size of some cell phones with the omni-directional antenna built in. You can rent them on a daily basis for about $10.00, a weekly basis for around $50.00 and monthly for about $250.00. Some providers even provide free incoming calls.

As of this writing only the Iridium system guarantees coverage throughout Alaska. The Globalstar version tends to lose coverage about half way to the Alaska Range, the large mountain range that separates Southern Alaska from the interior.

Here are some providers for renting satellite phones:

http://www.mobal.com/satellite-phone-rental
Daily $12.00 (one week minimum) Free incoming calls, free text, Outgoing calls - $1.99 per minute. Free shipping each way.

http://www.globalcomsatphone.com/satell ... idium.html
Daily - $4.00 to $8.00, Weekly - $28.00 to $59.95, Monthly - $112.00 to 239.00, $1.75 per minute. Incoming Short Text Messages free.

http://www.cellhire.com/products/satell ... se/iridium
One month - $399.00 Free incoming calls. Outgoing calls &1.59 per minute, text $.59

http://www.satellitephonestore.com/irid ... one-rental
1 week - $24.95 to $34.95, 2 weeks- $49.90 to $69.90, 3 weeks - $7490 to $104.85, 4 weeks - $99.90 to $139.95 Must but a time bundle 25 minutes - $39.75 per minute, Additional minutes $1.79, Text message $.50.

http://www.satellitephonesolutions.com/rental
Ten minutes free airtime, then $1.50 per minute, $.50 outgoing text, free incoming text

https://www.roadpost.com/Iridium-9555-S ... 6C312.aspx
$9.99 daily $249.99monthly, charge for all airtime

There is yet another solution that I find indispensable called SPOT tracker. You can see more about the device here: http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102

I’ve used one now for two years and think it’s the best safety device on the market. Not only will it send a 406 MHz signal to the satellites when you trigger it but it will also, if you choose, allow you to send a tracking signal every 15 minutes signal that will be posted on a Google Earth web page pinpointing your exact location so friends can follow your progress. If you want to keep your progress anonymous you can do that as well.

Another new option that SPOT has for 2011 is something called the SPOT Connect (http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116). You can pair your smartphone with SPOT Connect, and get connected to a global satellite network that lets you send messages and GPS coordinates from virtually anywhere on the planet. Update Twitter and Facebook. Send email and text messages. Request non-emergency help from professional service providers. And in the case of a critical emergency, send an SOS message requesting emergency assistance.

Both systems list for @ $169.00 and there is an annual subscription for the service but it’s not all that expensive.

If you are interested in getting either of these you can find them online or through our recommended supplier, BestGlide.com. Keep in mind that SPOT has stopped manufacturing their 1st generation units and the second generation units are supposed to be available about mid-March 2010.

Although not required by Alaska during our trip, I recommend one sleeping bag for every two people and either a waterproof cover or a couple of large trash bags to keep them dry in rain.

In a real survival situation you’ll also want a means of purifying water and a cup from which to drink it. You may want a metal cup so you can boil the water or you may want water purification tablets or a filter. Likely, a few bottled water containers will be all you would actually use if you’re flying with the group.

A survival manual is a good item to top off your survival kit with. It will give you something to read that could be useful, it will focus you on what you need to do, and if you don’t need it you can always use it to start a fire.

One final tip; put your survival kit in a bag that you can carry such as a backpack and keep it where it is the easiest thing to get out. That means it should always be in the way when you are trying to get at your luggage. A survival kit does you no good if you can’t get at it.

Suggested Resource
You can buy many of the items you may want or need from a variety of sources including your local variety stores. Whether you’re looking for a pre-package kit or individual items our recommendation is www.bestglide.com. When you visit their website you will notice they have a very good selection of items that you can either buy as a pick and choose or as a kit.

Speaking of pre-packaged kits, BESTGLIDE sells a medical & survival kit that I designed to meet the legal requirements without being too heavy. It only weighs 8.5 lbs and contains the following items:

1. One small hatchet
2. Medical Kit
3. Survival Blanket (2)
4. Survival 3600-Calorie Food Ration (2)
5. Mosquito head nets (2)
6. VS17/GVX Military Signal Panel Marker
7. The BCB Military Survival Tin
8. Two large heavy mil trash bags (good rain protection)
9. Gill net (1)
10. Stainless Steel Cup (2)
11. Deep Woods Off mosquito repellent or other brand with 100% Deet
12. Appropriate sized cordura or similar bag to carry above items.

This “LetsFlyAlaska kit” (http://www.bestglide.com/letsflyalaska_ ... l_kit.html) meets all of the state of Alaska's requirements and Canada's summer requirements if you add three items; three highway flares, a small hatchet, and 6,400 calories in something like a plastic jar of peanut butter and candy bars. Those items also make good comfort food if we have to wait for weather along the way. I also suggest a couple of large trash bags because they do a good job of keeping things dry.

Discount Code
Best Glide will sell you the entire kit I mentioned for a special price of $149.95, which is well below retail. You can either call them rather or order from their website. Their toll-free number is 1-888-834-9971. If you want to mix and match your own things they will give our group members a 10% discount directly from their website. Just use FLYTOAK as your discount code for the instant discount.

If you’re curious what I carry let me first tell you that in no way should you consider what I feel is adequate for me to be a recommendation for what you should carry with you. I have decided what the risk/benefit is for my own situation and have made the personal choice to live with it. I would never recommend that anyone carry less than the required amount of survival gear.

What I carry
Here is what’s in my airplane survival kit when I fly with the group:
All quantities 1 except as indicated

First Aid Kit
Aerofix 406 Personal ELT
Breitling ELT Watch
ICOM IC A-23 Handheld radio
SPOT Tracker
406 MHz ELT (Fixed in aircraft)
Highway flares (3)
Small mirror
Mini torch
Leatherman tool
Deep Woods Off Insect repellant
Bottled water (4-.25 liter bottles)
Canned sardines (4)
Peanut butter, crackers, jerky, and chocolate candy.

The total weight of my entire kit is just about 10 lbs. As you can see, my priorities in order are first aid, locating devices, communications, water, and food. If I was flying by myself my list would be much longer. I would almost certainly carry the Iridium satellite phone. I still wouldn’t include a wheel assembly or mechanic’s tools.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

I make a flight of similar length every year and I agree with those above who note that your prep and equipment needs are no different than they are for a day flight plus whatever you might need if you are away from home for an extended period.

In the case of your flight, the Frank Church National Wilderness area is perhaps the only area over which you would be challenged to find a suitable emergency landing location. Even there, you will fly over numerous mountain landing strips. Although these strips are better suited for P-Ponked C185s, you could land on most of them in an emergency. If you do fly direct, you will see some majestic mountains in that area and you might want to stop at Sun Valley (SUN) for fuel and lunch. They will loan you a car to drive from Hailey to Sun Valley proper. Be prepared to hold your head high parked in-between the G550s and Citations with red carpets rolled out in front of their ramps. You will likely see a movie star or billionaire in town.

Once you leave the primitive area, if you fly high enough, you will usually be over a decent landing opportunity.

While having some emergency equipment is a good idea, it ends up being handy in fewer situations than you might imagine. Communications is more important. Then warmth and water. You can survive for weeks without food. Always stay on Flight Following and simultaneously maintain local communications wherever possible (backcountry is 122.9 unless otherwise designated). Always know you location and be prepared to call it out in an emergency.
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Post by BlueYonder »

What I'm seeing here is a lot of validation for decisions already made -- which is a good thing. And some nice additions and refinements to the plans.

Charles, I had to laugh at your observation that "a long XC is just a series of normal day flights." I've got people around me who are seeing this as some sort of big adventure -- and it is, in a way -- but this is exactly what I've been saying. I fly three-hour trips all the time. (The gas tanks are NOT the range-limiting factor here -- my own personal tanks are. I'm sure this is true for most of us.) This is just four or five three-hour trips strung together.

Robert, the space blanket and hat already live in the plane full time. (I can't fly a DA-40 without a hat. It stands in pretty well for the visors we don't have.)

Bernie: I'm a Savvy MX maintenance management customer -- an investment that, as a first-year, first-time owner, I can't say enough about. It's definitely peace of mind knowing that wherever I might break down, I've got a 24-hour team of folks I already know to back me up and haul me out.

Lou: I've got a stack of those bright yellow wipes in the back bin that I use to clean the plane. Never thought of them as signaling devices, though. Great idea!

Antoine: I bought Yaesu's best hand-held radio a while back. It's a great device -- we also use it when we're out RVing. And since I routinely travel across the mountains at altitudes of 10,000+ (my own personal minimum for wanting air), there's already a big O2 canister that usually just lives in the back seat. Both important bits of equipage; both covered!

Cary: thanks for the the Alaska and Canada lists. (Having RVd through Alaska and the Yukon, I can ratify the need for head nets up there. Never saw anything like those mosquitoes.) These are going to be really helpful. I'm definitely keeping a close eye on the weight of my gear -- though since it's just middling-sized me, it's far less of an issue than it will be when I start taking my strapping bear of a husband along.

The gun issue is interesting, and may require its own thread. As a woman traveling alone through some of the widest-open spaces in the US, carrying my .45 and keeping it close by on ramps just feels prudent to me. I'm licensed to carry in most of the states I'll be passing through, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I have the advantage of having flown over much of this route already when I brought the plane home last December -- and have driven much of it over the years as well. That familiarity does boost my confidence. My first fuel stop will likely be Boise or Twin Falls, then on toward Salt Lake/Moab for the night. Second day heads out toward Albuquerque, then on to Houston. Coming back, I go see my folks Oklahoma, a friend in Santa Fe, and my husband in Moab (he'll be on a photo trip there while I'm gadding about in planes) -- where I pick up the dog from him, and fly us both home again.
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

BlueYonder wrote:My first fuel stop will likely be Boise or Twin Falls, then on toward Salt Lake/Moab for the night. Second day heads out toward Albuquerque, then on to Houston. Coming back, I go see my folks Oklahoma, a friend in Santa Fe, and my husband in Moab (he'll be on a photo trip there while I'm gadding about in planes) -- where I pick up the dog from him, and fly us both home again.
With one exception, these are great stops. If you take on fuel in the Boise area, I suggest Caldwell (KEUL) rather than Boise. Decent home cooking at the restaurant 100 yards from the Silverhawk Aviation 100ll pump and fuel that is $1.50 or so cheaper than Boise and much faster in and out. It looks like you are going a little south of direct.Be sure to ask BOI if the restricted areas and MOAs are alive. Often they are not and they will give you a hall pass to get through them. When you see those hundreds of wind generator towers on the way to Twin Falls, know that they can be related to nasty crosswinds at TWF. Good to know if you want some serious x-wind practice. I like to land at TWF whenever I want to burn a little rubber off of one side of my MLG tires. :D I recall a wing low, one wheel TWF landing in which I scooted sideways from right of centerline to far left of centerline. This was in a PA28; would have banged a wingtip in the DA40.