4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Re: Best sun shade for DA40?

Post by blsewardjr »

PIREP on the JetShades

I purchased the cockpit only set at Sun N Fun. As part of the show "special" I received the dark tint middle shade (the pilot and co-pilot shades come only the regular "see through" tint. I received the set today and installed it per the manual . No issues, it fit fine (I received additional DA40/42 specific instructions by email from Jet Shade but the installation is fairly easy to figure out.) Visability through the shades was fine and the "line" created by the forward edge was not obtrusive. The "see through" tint seems similar to, but perhaps a little darker than, the tint on my rear passenger windows.

The temps on the ground were 88F, 73F at altitude. Subjectively, I would say that it felt cooler than before. When I was taxiing in with the cockpit open to the first position, it was downright comfortable. Where the big improvement was, however, was the glare. The cockpit now feels, for lack of a better term, "dark", i.e., similar to a regular cockpit. The sun was higher than the shades, but when the a/c was oriented with sun on the pilot's side I could see my Ipad much more easily. Also, except when I was headed into the sun, I was able to fly without sunglasses.

I'm not sold on the dark middle piece, however. Essentially, it extends (forward) the painted part of the canopy, i.e., you can't see through it. Therefore, when looking for traffic above you leaning forward is required. I'm going to fly with it some more and then decide whether I want to switch to the "see through" version.

Whether they are worth the admittedly large price is a subjective call. However, I'm going to keep them for a least a few more flights and probably permanently. (Sorry about the upside down pics. I've never been able to figure out how to correct that.)
Attachments
IMG_1909.JPG
IMG_1902.JPG
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

The pics displayed "rightside up" when I "clicked" on them!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

I'm not there, but from Bernie's photos the JetShades don't much look to be an elegant solution. I'll stay with my simple 8x10" static-cling sun shades...
https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/slap- ... large.html

Maybe I'm missing something... but then, I'm not in super hot/humid Florida.
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

A small update. As I indicated before I wasn't sold on the dark, non-transparent middle shade so I requested Jet Shade to send me the see through version. Tried it out today and liked it. I can still look up and see aircraft above me with it, without any noticeable difference in heat or glare from the dark version. I'm still getting used to having two different tints in the cockpit, sort of like getting used to bifocals. However, although it's pricey, I think it's worth it, at least to me. I'm especially glad for the ability to read my Ipad in sunlight, even with sunglasses on. BTW, the customer service is excellent. The owner of the company even called me to see if I was having any problems with the sucker mounts. It seems that for some they're not sticking but I haven't had any problems.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
TomO
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N524PS
Airports: KMTH

Post by TomO »

Another PIRP on Jet Shades

I also bought Jet Shades in April at Sun and Fun. I have waited to report my experience until we had gone through most of the summer. We do live in South Florida where the temperatures and sun can be brutal. In the past we have tried multiple shade options with various degrees of success but none truly great. It was also bothersome to put these other shades up and then need remove at certain times, particularly on landing. After trying another pilot’s Jet Shades, I was convinced they helped and bought them.
The cockpit is definitely cooler with less glare. My I-pad is easier to see. With the shades, my wife at times feels she doesn’t need her sunglasses. There is definitely less uv and infrared in the cockpit.
Of course nothing except A/C will make the DA-40 comfortable at pattern altitudes or on the ground in a South Florida summer, but the difference with the shades is noticeable and even more remarkable at altitude. The visibility is quite good and they can stay in place throughout the flight and after without removal. Removal for night flights is easy. I do have the darker middle visor. We particularly notice heat and glare improvement when the sun is lower and off the wings.
The shades are “pricey” but have been worth it, particularly where we fly.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I thought I had read that the Jet Shades could not be left in place when the plane is sitting in the sun due to heat buildup between the Jet Shades and the canopy. Has that been an issue? Do you have to take them out and reinstall?
TomO
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N524PS
Airports: KMTH

Post by TomO »

From the Jet Shades instruction manual “Remove your Jet Shades for storage while your aircraft is parked in hot sunlight for extended periods of time.” “They can stay in your windows while parked at a ramp.”
We have been at ramps all day in mid to high 90 degree temperatures with no ill effects. With a canopy cover, we have spent several weeks on ramps without removal. There is usually a gap between the shades and the canopy and gaps between the seal and the window that probably prevents an extreme heat buildup. Subjectively the interior seems cooler(although still hot) when the shades are in place on the ramp.
They are easy enough to remove and replace if needed,but I just haven’t needed to.
Scottsware
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N343SG
Airports: KAPA

Post by Scottsware »

I tried out the Jet Shades non-Premium version, both front and back. I could not get used the the front and front-side shades. I only use the rear shades and I am very pleased with them. The plane is noticeably cooler with the rear windows covered. For the front I use small vinyl rub on shades.
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

There is an old thread on this and some of the information in there still valid:

viewtopic.php?t=3341

DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I recently installed a set of Jet Shades in my DA40NG which does not have air conditioning. It was a struggle to get the cockpit shades to stay up as the "dual lock" and original instructions didn't do the job. The weak leak was the adhesive on the dual lock strips. When the shades fell down, it was the strips attached to the canopy that came unattached. The dual lock to dual lock connection is very strong.

I purchased a new set of black dual lock strips at Home Depot and applied those to canopy, using the full length (about 2 1/2") as opposed to the shorter pieces supplied by Jet Shades. This allowed more adhesive area to be on the canopy and spread out the load. I also left them in place for 36hrs before I reinstalled the shades so that they could "cure". Since reinstalling the shades they have endured days of high heat (100˚F) and humidity without failure.

They do make the canopy noticeably heavier and I take care to lower the canopy closed as otherwise it will come down pretty hard.

The shades for the back seat windows are a friction fit within the window frames. The rear door side fit very well. The shade for the right side is not quite as good a fit and the rear half tends to pop out after a few days and needs to be pushed back into place.

The cockpit and interior in general is unquestionably cooler. The tradeoff is giving up part of the open canopy view. For long cross country trips it's a good tradeoff. They are removable and I know another owner who removes them after each trip.

I can see leaving the rear shades in place year round, and probably removing the canopy shades in the winter.