3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: CGMTS
Airports:

Re: Under Rated

Post by TJS »

I bought my DA40 in February and couldn't love it more. It is such an amazing aircraft is so many respects and it suits my missions to a tee. I also love this website of a no bull opinion on what is and may go wrong and look to others with experiences that are similar. I think this can be misinterpreted as complaining. Most on here love their aircraft. I recently had a factory tour while my plane was getting some work done. I was thrilled at what I saw and everyone was extremely helpful. It is going to take a lot to get me to turn against Diamond Aircraft. I see a bright future with Diamond.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Tim - From your comments, you probably do not have a basis for comparison but can you comment on changes you might have seen or inferred at the factory? How many production lines were running and for what aircraft, and were they full? How many employees were working in the aviation wiring shop? The fiberglass laminating area?

Separate from those questions, what impressed me most about the factory when I visited was how organized, quiet, and efficient it appeared to be. At that time, every space that I could see was utilized to normal capacity. Production lines were full and as I recall there were lines for 20s, C1 trainers, 40s, and a half line for 42s. The D-Jet project was crammed into a small space close to the front shop entrance. D-Jet-1's stripped fuselage was sitting out front waiting to be taken away and D-Jet-2 or 3 was having rudder pedals installed. I had a pleasant conversation with the chief onsite engineer. He joked about the oversize space for the small Williams turbofan, asking me to guess why that was. It was the most impressive factory i have visited.
TJS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: CGMTS
Airports:

Post by TJS »

rwtucker wrote:Tim - From your comments, you probably do not have a basis for comparison but can you comment on changes you might have seen or inferred at the factory? How many production lines were running and for what aircraft, and were they full? How many employees were working in the aviation wiring shop? The fiberglass laminating area?

Separate from those questions, what impressed me most about the factory when I visited was how organized, quiet, and efficient it appeared to be. At that time, every space that I could see was utilized to normal capacity. Production lines were full and as I recall there were lines for 20s, C1 trainers, 40s, and a half line for 42s. The D-Jet project was crammed into a small space close to the front shop entrance. D-Jet-1's stripped fuselage was sitting out front waiting to be taken away and D-Jet-2 or 3 was having rudder pedals installed. I had a pleasant conversation with the chief onsite engineer. He joked about the oversize space for the small Williams turbofan, asking me to guess why that was. It was the most impressive factory i have visited.
As everyone knows, Diamond has had its problems over the years but not anything more than any other aircraft manufacturer. They have clawed their way back for the brink after the market crash in 07-08 and have done remarkably well. The wiring shop was in full swing. There was production at every station that I saw. Sounds like the Dornier project is progressing in stages. The D jet was still there but seemed "on display". CPO shop looked busy too.
What really intrigues me about the company is how innovative they have been over the years and from what I saw, still are today. "plastic" airplanes were in their infancy when Diamond began making them and were at the leading edge of that development. They were one of the first to install the G1000. The safest aircraft in GA did not come by accident either.
I really felt a positive attitude there with everyone I dealt with and I am sure that they would have know about the Chinese investment at that time. I believe that this will be good for Diamond Canada.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I was just there the last 3 days helping customers with delivery of their new DA62s, and the Canada factory is the busiest I have seen it in recent years. Diamond Canada is going to be even busier in 2017 preparing for DA62 production.

One new item (for me, anyway) was seeing the large composite wings and tail that Diamond is producing for the Dornier SeaStar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=628ZPF_0WkY

I will also say that landing there in London in the winter can be quite challenging. The winds were gusting to 30 knots crosswind when I landed amid drifting snow blowing directly across the runway -- the first time in a DA42 I can remember actually running out of rudder authority (I had the pedal pushed in all the way) trying to hold the nose straight.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

CFIDave wrote: I will also say that landing there in London in the winter can be quite challenging. The winds were gusting to 30 knots crosswind when I landed amid drifting snow blowing directly across the runway -- the first time in a DA42 I can remember actually running out of rudder authority (I had the pedal pushed in all the way) trying to hold the nose straight.
I hadn't had that problem in the DA42, but I did run into that problem with my C310. Landing one very windy day in North Dakota I had the rudder all the depressed and still couldn't keep the nose straight. I had to add some differential engine thrust to keep the nose straight down the runway. Those prairie winds can really be wicked.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Hi guys,

Reading this thread makes me think that it is time again to contribute financially to this forum to keep it alive. This is a FREE forum but donations are very much appreciated to keep up with the cost of running this. Please contribute.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Lance Murray wrote:Hi guys,

Reading this thread makes me think that it is time again to contribute financially to this forum to keep it alive. This is a FREE forum but donations are very much appreciated to keep up with the cost of running this. Please contribute.
Except I believe the DONATION link was removed almost a year ago, so no obvious way to contribute any more!

What are the current thoughts on making donations?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

yes I was just looking for that link also. I sent Kai a message. My thoughts are that there is a cost for hosting this and occasionally paying someone to work on the site. Kai shouldn't have to pay this.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I think we'll just save up and get Kai a new plane.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Lance Murray wrote:yes I was just looking for that link also. I sent Kai a message. My thoughts are that there is a cost for hosting this and occasionally paying someone to work on the site. Kai shouldn't have to pay this.
The cost of keeping the site up and running is currently pretty low, but I'll try to get the 'Donate' link re-enabled when I get some free time. We may want to migrate to a new hosting service at some point, and there are some lingering bugs that may require some outside help to fix (due to lack of the aforementioned free time).
Colin wrote:I think we'll just save up and get Kai a new plane.
By now, Diamond should just give him one.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO