2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N224BS
Airports: KPIA

Re: ADS-B Options for WAAS G1000 with TAS 600

Post by Brian »

Cschobel wrote:Diamond Austria is not the issue. Garmin now holds the Supplemental Type certificate for the G1000 in the DA40. The transfer is supposed to go from Garmin to Diamond Canada. But that is not the hold up. If Diamond wanted to upgrade the software they could work with Garmin. There is no software development to upgrade the Diamond software at this time per my conversation with Garmin.
Charlie,

I also just asked Diamond about a potential SW upgrade to allow the GIA to provide WAAS information to the 345R. I was really hoping that Diamond would have done the legwork to get us the lowest cost and least intrusive upgrade option but it seems that they are leaving us to fend for ourselves...

Assuming Diamond will not provide the SW upgrade I like the antennae splitter option you mentioned. Freeflight systems offers one but I don't know the cost. Also I'm a bit concerned that the splitter might cause signal degradation. Do you have any more information on the splitter? I'm guessing it was much lower cost than the new Comm/GPS antennae?

Thanks,
Brian
Cschobel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charlie
Aircraft Registration: N68C
Airports: KLZU

Post by Cschobel »

Yes I have received two quotes with the splitter. The splitter costs about $750 and it is FAA approved. It goes to the number 2 gps and they have tested that it works. It also prevents the costs on the installation. On another antenna which is difficult if you already have two gps antennas on the roof.
Charlie Schobel
N68C
Www.rollingwithkc.com
KLZU
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

There is no way around the loss introduced by a passive splitter. How much loss depends on the design, quality of connectors, and potentially even the exact point at which you insert it the line. You might be able to determine if this loss would be a problem for you by looking at the signal strength of your typical GPS connections in flight. Any that are marginally low or popping in and out, are likely to be out with the passive splitter. Usually, there are enough redundant channels to work but precision can degrade as the number of channels drops. Active splitters (amplified) will take care of that problem and can deliver both GPS systems a stronger signal than without the splitter.

A high quality passive GPS splitter runs $10-$30. An active splitter will run a little more. I notice that SkyGeek has a passive splitter for $298. One would assume that it is FAA approved but there is no mention. Are we certain that FAA approval is required for basic parts like splitters and connectors, etc.?

I have attached spec sheets on a passive
G-SP2-PN-DC1.pdf
(322.7 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
and an active splitter.
G-SP2-AN-DCI-5.pdf
(102.11 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
I have used both of these. Based on what I have seen, they are higher quality than what is sold in GA markets.
Cschobel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Cschobel »

Both the avionics shops that I received quotes from said they had to get FAA approval for the specific splitter.
Charlie Schobel
N68C
Www.rollingwithkc.com
KLZU
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by rwtucker »

That is what I was concluding. I attempted to find the specs for the FreeFlightSystems FGS-100 GNSS Antenna Splitter and they don't even tell you how much loss it introduces! Looks like we are stuck paying 30 times value for unspecified quality . . . but is is still less expensive than drilling a hole, etc. If it is not mandated, I would recommend determining which one of your GPS receivers is the more sensitive (you see variance from unit to unit and the same in the active hockey puck antennas). Install the splitter in the line of the strongest receiver.
Cschobel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Cschobel »

Thanks
Charlie Schobel
N68C
Www.rollingwithkc.com
KLZU
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

It seems so unlikely that Diamond and Garmin would orphan an entire class of airplanes (who likely have the money to upgrade). I'd be willing to bet that they are going to offer people an upgrade to their screens (G1000 NXI) and say that therein lies the path for future software upgrades. Ugh.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

FYI, the DA62 uses a combination GPS2/COM1 antenna located on the top of the fuselage with a splitter, thus allowing that airplane to get by with only one standalone GPS antenna (for GPS1). Use of a GPS/COM splitter to a common antenna is thus a standard practice on new Diamond aircraft.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by rwtucker »

pietromarx wrote:It seems so unlikely that Diamond and Garmin would orphan an entire class of airplanes (who likely have the money to upgrade). I'd be willing to bet that they are going to offer people an upgrade to their screens (G1000 NXI) and say that therein lies the path for future software upgrades. Ugh.
Don't give them ideas Peter. :D