HPNAviator
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephen
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KHPN

Avweb video of Garmin 345 in DA40

Post by HPNAviator »

Interesting video of new Garmin 345 transponder in Garmin's DA40. At least one example of a DA40 with a G1000 and ADS-B out/in support.

ricksigler
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: N741DS
Airports: KABQ

Re: Avweb video of Garmin 345 in DA40

Post by ricksigler »

Thanks. Would love to see a video showing the install process for the G1000 equipped DA-40's.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

It's interesting that in the video the DA40 has "Experimental" posted on both sides of the canopy. This perhaps says that Diamond/Garmin might not yet have gotten FAA approval for the combination of WAAS GIA63W position source, GTX345R remote transponder, and DA40 airframe. (You can tell that the DA40 being flown was already WAAS equipped since it has the GFC700 autopilot buttons visible with VNAV in the video.)

Besides hardware installation of the GTX345R in the DA40, the G1000 installation software (which an authorized Garmin dealer will download and place on an SDCard) must include the GTX345R as an optional software install. G1000 software installation is always a 2-step process: First the tech doing the install has to load the base G1000 software into the airplane. The 2nd step is to load and configure all of the options for a particular airplane such as SVT and TAWS (both of which require separate software unlock cards), GDL69A weather, TAS600 active traffic, extended range fuel tanks, etc.

The most recent .23 software release for the DA40 G1000 pre-dates the new GTX345R transponder, so I doubt the G1000 installation software includes it as part of the optional install process, nor does it include a screen for a tech to input all of the requisite ADS-B configuration parameters for the new model transponder. These will likely be part of the next DA40 G1000 software release. Furthermore, Diamond/Garmin may also need to supply a new G1000 Supplement to the AFM/POH (since the G1000 was added to the DA40 as an STC), a new G1000 Cockpit Guide, and a new desktop Pilots Guide for the G1000 -- all of which will explain to the pilot how to use the GTX345R.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
HPNAviator
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephen
Airports: KHPN

Post by HPNAviator »

It is comforting (to me) that Garmin has there own DA40 in house. It makes me feel more confident that even if Diamond does not do the work to certify the ADS-B out solution that Garmin may do the work for them. I assume that the plane is in the experimental category, perhaps perminantly, because it is always being used to test new Garmin products and software releases that are not yet certified.

A friend of mine has a Beechcraft (Bonanza) F33A that he uses to 'beta' test avionics for Avidyne on a volunteer basis. His F33A is in the Experimental category when ever the products that he is testing are not certified and then is removed from Experimental category when they are certified.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

CFIDave wrote:The most recent .23 software release for the DA40 G1000 pre-dates the new GTX345R transponder, so I doubt the G1000 installation software includes it as part of the optional install process, nor does it include a screen for a tech to input all of the requisite ADS-B configuration parameters for the new model transponder. These will likely be part of the next DA40 G1000 software release.
Hi Dave -

Per this thread, page 1:
Trek Lawler, Supervisor, Garmin Aviation Field Service Engineering (in context of question about G1000 installation) wrote:This is being handled as a separate STC for the G1000 family.
(snip)
Garmin will then have a loader card that will perform the manual configuration of the system. The installer will then connect the laptop computer to the GTX 345 and configure it.
IOW, Garmin is supplying a custom SW tool with the GTX335/345. One of the primary goals for this program is avoiding the OEM black hole.

Chris
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Hi, Dave,

Do you know of any avionics shops near Atlanta that have actually installed a GTX345R (with WAAS) in a DA40? I have a 2005 non-WAAS DA40 that I would like to add ADS-B to, but I have not been able to find a shop nearby where my plane would not be the first one that they've done.

Sandy
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I don't know of a shop near Atlanta. Perhaps someone else here can comment.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Ultrapilot1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Registration: N446SB
Airports: KPIE KTHA

Post by Ultrapilot1 »

Sandy: A short flight south to Venice FL and my shop Sarasota Avionics did my install so they know exactly what to do!
creativewebz
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Grant
Aircraft Registration: N415DS
Airports: KHSV

Post by creativewebz »

Sandy wrote:Hi, Dave,

Do you know of any avionics shops near Atlanta that have actually installed a GTX345R (with WAAS) in a DA40? I have a 2005 non-WAAS DA40 that I would like to add ADS-B to, but I have not been able to find a shop nearby where my plane would not be the first one that they've done.

Sandy
I went to Avionics Solutions in Lafayette, Louisiana. REALLY REALLY GREAT PEOPLE! They did my GTX345R install and my flight stream install. Did the install in 2 days. Everything is working great. If you need any more info on the shop shoot me a message.
DA40KPAO
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Victor
Aircraft Registration: N739DS
Airports: KPAO

Post by DA40KPAO »

creativewebz wrote:
I went to Avionics Solutions in Lafayette, Louisiana. REALLY REALLY GREAT PEOPLE! They did my GTX345R install and my flight stream install. Did the install in 2 days. Everything is working great. If you need any more info on the shop shoot me a message.
Do you mind sharing how much it cost for your installation?