5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

G1000 MFD won't update

Post by Chris B »

I've successfully updated the PFD/MFD database dozens of times. But for the most recent cycle the MFD boots directly to the Garmin logo and skips the "hey, do you want to update the database?" screen. The PFD works fine with the same SD card, and I've tried five different SD cards (most formatted from scratch) without success.

Except for the now-obsolete navigation database, all the boot screen entries indicate "NA," the G1000 flags a cross-talk database error between the PFD and MFD, TAWS fails & SVT is inactive. Reverting to the previously-working card has the same non-functional effect. My avionics guy says that the symptoms are consistent with a dead SD card reader, although mechanically it seems to operate properly. The cards pop in-and out easily, and careful visual inspection of the slot with a borescope doesn't show anything amiss. None of the pins are bent, etc.

Before I throw in the towel and exchange the MFD (= GDU 1044 = US$1600 + tax + labor, for a dead $5 card reader :cry: ), does anyone have other suggestions?

On the bright side, an exchange would fix the flaky MFD multi-position switch (center push sometimes doesn't work), so I've got that going for me, which is nice. :mrgreen:

Chris
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: G1000 MFD won't update

Post by Rick »

Chris,

If you put an empty card into the top slot and power on the G1000, does it write a log file to the card? You would only have to power it on for 30 seconds or so to find out. I agree, it sounds like a dead SD card reader, and if it also fails to write log files, that would further implicate the card reader. I don't know of any way to revive it, although I'd be tempted to take a look after removing it.

If you DO end up sending it in for an exchange, you might want to save a few knobs off the front... I would buy a good range knob from you! :)
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

It is a long shot Chris but have you tried changing the ambient temperature in the area? Some spray component cooler and another test with a carefully directed hair dryer might confirm or at least strengthen the suspicion that it is a faulty chip or solder joint. On the latter possibility, the SD receptacle sub component is probably flexed a little bit with every insertion. Depending on how it is mounted (I can't recall), you could be looking at a loose solder joint connecting to a larger PC board.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris B »

Rick & Robert -

Thanks for the ideas. I will give those a try tomorrow.

Chris
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris B »

$1,881 later (MFD swap + labor), everything now works great.

Things that I learned:
  1. SD Card failure is apparently extremely rare. Garmin tech support:
    • Strongly suspected database corruption.
    • Believed that only 4 GB cards are acceptable (which is true for some G1000s).
  2. The PFD & MFD are different PNs for G1000 aircraft with the GFC 700, but can temporarily be swapped for diagnostic purposes.
    • PFD = GDU1040, MFD (DA40 w/ GFC 700) = GDU1044.
    • The GDU PN is printed on the rear of the display, and not directly available via the G1000 interface.
      • Garmin support can derive the PN from the SN, which is displayed in the G1000 maintenance menus.
  3. Garmin eventually recommended swapping the MFD & PFD displays as a definitive diagnostic test.
    • If swapping displays fixes the MFD problem, the display is defective. Otherwise the problem is a corrupt installation/configuration.
    • Swapping displays is quick and low risk. The 'hard' part is physically making the swap.
  4. Installing a 'new' display (particularly a PFD) is high risk for permanently zeroing the aircraft time if procedures are not closely followed.
    • This is not fixable without extraordinary cooperation from Garmin (via custom SW), as in here and here.
  5. Installing the 'new' MFD required re-installing the system SW.
    • Synthetic Vision and TAWS were lost and needed re-activation.
    • Most custom settings were retained, except for inactive pilot profiles and timers.
    • This process is remarkably error prone. Several times the dealer had to re-install key components which failed on the first try.
      • Apparently the threshold for calling Garmin support is when an installation fails three times in a row!
  6. Replacing defective Synthetic Vision or TAWS SD cards is easy.
    • Replacing lost cards is arduous, and apparently a one-time-only affair.
  7. SD Cards
    • Per Garmin support, 4 GB SanDisk SD cards ($42 for a 10-pack) are functionally (not legally) equivalent to 010-00330-43 TSO cards.
    • Garmin specifically recommends SanDisk SD cards in the G1000 System Maintenance Manual.
    • Some G1000s (e.g., early WAAS) support 8 GB cards. IMO (per this thread) these are mechanically superior.
    • WiFi internet connections apparently sometimes produce corrupt installations.
    • Reformatting cards:
      • Recommended if suspect corruption.
      • Delete 'GARMIN' (or any other) SD card name when reformatting (even TSO cards).
      • Always un-check "Quick Format" - otherwise the Garmin download will NOT necessarily fix a corrupt database.
      • 4 GB SD Card settings: FAT32 / 4096 / ~3.8 GB.
  8. I was not following the update procedure clearly outlined in the Pilot's Guide, Appendix B. :oops:
    • The navigation database should only be updated from the top slots, NOT co-mingled with the other data on the bottom SD cards.
    • This had no bearing on my situation, but apparently can create database corruption problems.
Chris
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Chris B wrote: [1]Replacing defective Synthetic Vision or TAWS SD cards is easy.
[2]Always un-check "Quick Format" - otherwise the Garmin download will NOT necessarily fix a corrupt database.Chris
1. My factory cards are still good but I have wondered how you do this and how much Garmin wants to replace a defective card.

2. Good point for anyone having a problem. A quick format sets the file allocation table map to show all "sectors" unused (no real sectors on an SD). So far as I know, it would not detect corruption in the actual contents of the SD and maybe not corruption in the media pointed to by the file allocation table.
Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Registration: N239DS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Steven »

I am going to be picking up our new-to-us DA40, N239DS, with my co-owner this weekend. We had been planning to update the nav database before our flight home (from Minnesota to Boston) but after reading this I'm wondering if there might be some risk in doing that. Any suggestions from folks who have updated the nav data a lot?

We were sent the original SD cards from the airplane and we loaded the newest nav database onto the cards, but I'm not keen on risking screwing up the G1000 and being stuck in Minnesota. Not that it's a bad place, but still ...
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris B »

Steven wrote:Any suggestions from folks who have updated the nav data a lot?
Hi Steven -

My experience has been that update failures are relatively unusual, but not zero. In all cases a full re-format/re-download solves the problem (other than the exceedingly rare circumstance of a dead card reader).

Chris
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

If I had an up-to-date Foreflight with me I wouldn't bother updating the G1000 until I got home. The mountains have not moved. You might have an incorrect frequency or two, but if the navigator/co-pilot uses the iPad instead that won't be an issue.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

My suggestion also would be to wait to update the NavData on the top slots until after you get home -- just in case one side doesn't load the NavData file off of the SDcard properly.

Yesterday I flew a sales demo in a DA40 after someone had updated NavData on only the PFD, but not the MFD. It caused a surprisingly large number of errors, most related to a lack of communications (x-talk) between the PFD and MFD. SVT and TAWS wouldn't load, the PFD had a big red "X" on its right side, I had to enter all flight plan waypoints separately into the PFD and MFD (they didn't copy over), and none of the MFD knobs would work! It was a good thing that the weather was severe clear, because I wouldn't have taken off in IMC with the G1000 acting like that.

Today NavData was successfully installed on the other screen, and I've been told by the plane's owner that everything now works perfectly. The G1000 is incredibly sensitive to PFD vs. MFD database mismatches.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI