4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Re: G1000 MFD won't update

Post by Tim H »

I've successfully updated the PFD/MFD database dozens of times using a SanDisk 2GB SD card. But for the most recent cycle both the PFD and MFD boot directly to the Garmin logo and skips the "hey, do you want to update the database?" screen.

Reloaded the Jeppesen database onto the SD card and tried again with the same results (on the PFD and MFD).

Any suggestions?
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Hi Tim -

Since this happens on both the MFD & PFD, a card reader problem seems (thankfully!) unlikely.

The first thing that I would try is reformatting the SD card (being certain to *un*check "quick format." If that doesn't work, try a new SD card (or two).

Chris
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Tim,

I agree with Chris - try another card. Hard to believe both readers would fail at the same time.

The only other thing I can think of would be to check the System ID in your Jepp account and make sure it still matches the System ID of your G1000. I don't know why it would have changed, but if it did for some reason, the resulting incorrect unlock file on the SD card would cause the G1000 to ignore the card, probably resulting in the behavior you are seeing. I remember some months after I bought my new DA40, Jepp somehow switched my System ID back to my OLD number and the next update wouldn't load. I can't remember the exact failure mode, but your problem description feels vaguely familiar...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Tim H »

Before I use a new (or newly formatted) card, do I have to load (via the G1000) the "aircraft config" or "aircraft system" log file (first time use only) before I load the NAV data or can I just download the NAV data and load it to the G1000?

Tim
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

You can just download the Navdata onto the card and load it into the G1000. When you subscribed online to Jepp or Garmin, you already provided your aircraft's G1000 SystemID, so that Navdata file you downloaded can only be read by your aircraft's G1000.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Tim H »

I formatted (non-"quick format") the data card (twice).

Reloaded the NAV data and still no luck.

I left the G1000 running for a minute or so to see if it would write the datalog. Brought the card home and the SD card has the datalog as well as the airframe file and ldr_sys folder. Since the G1000 is writing the datalog, I don't think the card is corrupt.

Any other ideas?

Tim
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Tim,

Since the MFD is writing the data logs, the cards and reader must be ok, as you noted. Do you happen to have the files from last month still on your hard drive? If so, copy those to the card and see if they load ok. I still think something is wrong with the latest 'feat_unlk.dat' file. When you download the new data each month from Jeppesen, they write the 2 DB files that contain all the data, PLUS they write a special file just for you called 'feat_unlk.dat' which contains your G1000 system ID and some checksum information about the DB files. When you power up the G1000, it looks at the top slot, and if it finds a card there, it looks for a 'feat_unlk.dat' file on the card. If it finds that file, it checks the System_ID in the file against the hardware ID of your G1000. If it doesn't match, it ignores the data on the card and just boots normally. I think your feat_unlk file is corrupt or invalid for some reason, maybe just a glitch in the download. It's apparently not the SD card, and it's not the reader.

You can call Jeppesen and tell them about your problem - they should authorize another download for you for this month's data. Download it again, and then compare the new 'feat_unlk.dat' file with the one you have now - I bet they will be different. See if the new download works any better. And while you have Jepp on the phone, you might verify your G1000 System ID, just for good measure - like I said, I had mine change once in their system for no apparent reason, which made my data fail to load. Can't hurt anything to ask...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Tim M
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N704PA
Airports: KRBD

Post by Tim M »

Using bottom cards only, I just updated obstacle and safe taxi successfully. We use the Garmin Pilot Pak for NAV data. When I put the NAV data card, a 2GB SD card, into the top slots neither the PFD nor the MFD prompt for the update. Same behavior as OP. I've done this at least 40 times on this airplane over the years and this is only the second time it has failed. The first time was with a 16GB card. Our avionics shop had an old 2GB card and was able to use it to solve the problem. So I went out and bought some 2GB cards.

First I formatted the card (not quick format) with all the default formatting options. Then I downloaded the NAV data using the Garmin updater (Win 10). After it is finished at the root level of the card I see one empty folder named "ldr_sys" and a file named ".evidf.dat" (1KB). I have configured view to show hidden files.

Spent an hour on the phone with Garmin and tried everything they suggested to no avail. Even tried forcing the read by holding the 2nd soft-key from the left while powering up.

I'm ready to submit this thing to the Coast Guard Buoyancy Test.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Regarding the well documented "things I've learned list" that Chris has provided us with, I would like to add one more item to his No. 7 or No. 8 points, which is:

Always remove the top slot cards after updating the NAV data and store them in a safe location. After trying several different storage options, have settled on this very inexpensive hard shell case - at least for the time being:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078N ... UTF8&psc=1
Tim M
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N704PA
Airports: KRBD

Post by Tim M »

Finally managed to update the NAV. I had to use the "older update method" link at the bottom of the "Update Databases" page on the Garmin website. I now see the following on the card:

airframe_info.xml
feat_unlk.dat
data_log
ldr_sys
>>avtn_db.bin
>>nav_db2.bin