5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Re: G1000 SD-Cards wont release

Post by Chris B »

gsontheimer wrote:As mine is 40.992 and 2008 I do stand a chance the 8 GB SDHC cards work???
I think so, yes.

Chris
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris B »

Chris B wrote:The 8 GB SanDisk cards also have an improved locking mechanism design which is much harder to accidentally engage. If you unwittingly insert a 'locked' card into the slot, it cracks the card.
After disassembling the dead SD cards I want to follow-up and correct my misunderstanding.

The issue I had was not due to a change in the locking mechanism, but apparently that the six 2GB SanDisk SD cards I was using were less mechanically robust and prone to cracking open along the "welded" seam. This made the "lock" (which is simply a small plastic slider) loose.

My suspicion is that this was a batch issue, but I don't know for sure. All the other SanDisk SD cards (4GB or 8GB or Garmin-OEM-2GB) have not had this problem.

Chris
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Yes, I can confirm that 8 GB SDHC cards will work just fine in a 2008 XLS model DA40.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Kyle
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kyle
Aircraft Registration: N283DS
Airports: KNEW

Post by Kyle »

I just had the problem with the bottom card in my PFD not releasing. I will try the small screwdriver when I go back to the airport.

I've been updating the PFD and MFD databases by removing the cards from the lower slots and doing the update on both cards from the Garmin website. Does anyone know if I can update the PFD databases by using the SD card from the MFD (or a different SD card) in the top slot of the PFD or do I have to get the lower PFD card out and update that card?
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I have never touched the lower card, I always put my updating card in the top slot, reboot, answer yes and then repeat on the PFD.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Colin wrote:I have never touched the lower card, I always put my updating card in the top slot, reboot, answer yes and then repeat on the PFD.
Then you've only ever updated NavData. Jepp NavData (updated every 28 days) is the only database that's stored internally inside the G1000's memory, is updated via the top slots, and then the update card is then removed.

To update the Garmin terrain, basemap, obstacle, SafeTaxi, AOPA-airport-directory, or approach chart files, you must remove and update the lower cards -- since those files are stored directly on the bottom cards.

There is a database sync function (on GDU Version 11 or above) of the G1000 that will let you update these databases on either the PFD or MFD lower card (just one side), and then after a restart the G1000 will automatically update the lower card on the other side so the files are in sync. But this takes "forever" for the larger database files like terrain. So I've been yanking both bottom cards out and directly updating them with my PC.

Note that Garmin databases on the bottom cards aren't updated by Garmin as often as Jepp NavData on the top, so you don't have to update the bottom cards as often (the exception being the approach chart database for those of you who display those on the MFD).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Kyle
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kyle
Aircraft Registration: N283DS
Airports: KNEW

Post by Kyle »

Colin,
Do you just update the NavData or are you able to update airport directory, flitecharts, etc. using the top slot?

For what it's worth the Fly Garmin install does say to use the top slot card for NavData and bottom slot card for the rest but I have been able to update both the NavData and everything else by doing the install only on the cards from the bottom slot.

I've just installed the databases on both the bottom slot card from by MFD and on a regular SD card that I've just been using to log data on the top slot MFD. I want to see if there is a way I can update in the future without having to remember to remove the bottom slot cards when I leave the plane so I plan to attempt to install the databases tomorrow first using just the regular SD card in the top slot of both the MFD and the PFD and see if everything updates or just the NavData. If it's just the NavData, I'll see if I can use the same card in the bottom slot of both the PFD and the MFD to update everything. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to go back to removing both cards to install the updates.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris B »

Kyle wrote:For what it's worth the Fly Garmin install does say to use the top slot card for NavData and bottom slot card for the rest but I have been able to update both the NavData and everything else by doing the install only on the cards from the bottom slot.

I've just installed the databases on both the bottom slot card from by MFD and on a regular SD card that I've just been using to log data on the top slot MFD. I want to see if there is a way I can update in the future without having to remember to remove the bottom slot cards when I leave the plane so I plan to attempt to install the databases tomorrow first using just the regular SD card in the top slot of both the MFD and the PFD and see if everything updates or just the NavData. If it's just the NavData, I'll see if I can use the same card in the bottom slot of both the PFD and the MFD to update everything. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to go back to removing both cards to install the updates.
Hi Kyle -

FYI, per this thread (link, post 5), Appendix B of the Garmin Pilot's Guide also specifies that the navigation database should only be updated from the top slots, not co-mingled with the other data on the bottom SD cards. From speaking with Garmin tech support, loading everything on the bottom card (what I had also been doing... :oops:) apparently can create database corruption problems.

Chris
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Today I learned that my shop has been updating some of the G1000 stuff for me. Nice. Yes, I only update the NavData subscription stuff.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)