5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: PTT microphone volume

Post by Rick »

Nirbm01 wrote:COM page under GIA.

I am running the latest before on the 2007 XL (no WAAS)

But no clue on how to save the changes.
Yeah, that's where I remember it from the previous releases. But no luck on the latest version - my COM page under GIA has only 4 settings: "FREQUENCY", "SPACING", "VOLUME" and "EMERGENCY VOL". No more "SIDETONE VOL" setting. :scratch:

If you change a value, I think you just press the ENT button and it writes the "set" value to the "active" value (by updating the GIA settings). On some screens, there is a button at the bottom like "SET>ACTV" which writes the new settings to the active device, but I think the COM screen just updates when you press the ENT key.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
linzhiming
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Registration: N799DS
Airports: EGLK

Post by linzhiming »

Rick wrote:

Yeah, that's where I remember it from the previous releases. But no luck on the latest version - my COM page under GIA has only 4 settings: "FREQUENCY", "SPACING", "VOLUME" and "EMERGENCY VOL". No more "SIDETONE VOL" setting. :scratch:

If you change a value, I think you just press the ENT button and it writes the "set" value to the "active" value (by updating the GIA settings). On some screens, there is a button at the bottom like "SET>ACTV" which writes the new settings to the active device, but I think the COM screen just updates when you press the ENT key.
I tried that the first time but it didn't save the settings (you will notice that when you switch from COM1 to COM2 on the settings screen as one needs to make the change to both) and I had to explicitly save the configuration. Let me go back to the aircraft and reproduce and then describe the steps.

Re software version: I have 0321.22 as the aircraft does not have WAAS. Interesting to hear that the configuration parameter was removed in 0321.23, I wonder whether it was merged with another one?

Wolfgang
Nirbm01
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nir
Airports: KPAO

Post by Nirbm01 »

linzhiming wrote:
Rick wrote:

I tried that the first time but it didn't save the settings (you will notice that when you switch from COM1 to COM2 on the settings screen as one needs to make the change to both) and I had to explicitly save the configuration. Let me go back to the aircraft and reproduce and then describe the steps.

Re software version: I have 0321.22 as the aircraft does not have WAAS. Interesting to hear that the configuration parameter was removed in 0321.23, I wonder whether it was merged with another one?

Wolfgang
Yes - I have the Non WAAS 2007 - i can see the store button on the bottom of the page but it is gray out - even when I am changing the setting of the sidetone - no luck yet.
Nir
linzhiming
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Registration: N799DS
Airports: EGLK

Post by linzhiming »

Almost a year later I think I managed to get to a solution the sidetone volume issue: Although the sidetone volume can be set on the G1000 system maintenance configuration page for version 321.22, it indeed does not save the sidetone volume setting and does not really help with resolving the issue. I had changed the volume of my headphones when I last described the sidetone volume solution so it was not a valid test under the "leave everything else the same" test conditions.

What I have found to help and resolve my sidetone volume issue during my last flight is to follow the audio panel preflight procedure listed in the G1000 pilot's guide (see attachment):

I previously always had my Bose A20 headphones always set to the minimum volume and regulated COM volume through the COM volume knob, however it had the side effect of NOT increasing the sidetone volume. As a result, the sidetone volume was always too low.

This time, I followed the preflight procedure which starts with the headphone volume control set to maximum (instead of my minimum setting). As a result I was forced to reduce the intercom and COM radio volumes, which had the desired effect of increasing the sidetone volume to a good audible level on a relative basis.

This might explain why some forum users reported no issue with the sidetone volume whereas others did.

For those who did report an issue with sidetone volume that was too low, could you try following the steps listed in the preflight procedure to see whether that fixes your issue as well?

Wolfgang
Attachments
DA40 G1000 panel preflight procedure.pdf
(202.44 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Post by BlueYonder »

I was going to start a new thread for my question, but it seems pretty plausible that it's actually related to this thread.

My issue is with using the Sirius XM radio while flying. The Sirius programming seems to come in at about half the volume of the comms radio and the passenger/pilot intercom. Even turned up all the way, it's so faint that it's not really worthwhile to try to listen to it. I can usually (sorta, kinda) figure out what the tune is, and that's about it. If you want to hear lyrics, forget it.

It's not a headset issue, because I've replicated it out of both sets of front seat jacks with both Zulu.2 and DC headsets. Same thing no matter what. Any suggestions? Because if I can't get the volume up, there's no point in paying extra for the XM radio programming.
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Sara, I'm guessing it's just a com/headset setup problem. If you have your com radios volumes set high, then the headset volume will be set low to make it sound right. Conversely, if you set the com radio volumes to a middle level, like 40% or 50%, then the headset volume will need to be turned up, and with that, the xm volume gets turned up. The downside for me with very high headset volumes (very low com volumes) is that I hear transponder interference.
Steve
DA40 XL
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Post by BlueYonder »

I've tried the obvious stuff, thanks anyway. I spent several hours during a multi-day cross-the-US flight (lots of time with empty hands, the AP flying the plane, and dead air to listen to) playing with every level (and combination of levels) on the radios and the headset, and with the obvious stuff on the G1000 XM page. No joy.

So now I'm looking for non-obvious answers. A few people have suggested that this is just How It's Supposed To Be, but I'm not ready to buy that yet.
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Your shop may be able to adjust the levels on the GMA 1347 configuration page. It's been a long time since I looked at it, but I think the LEVELS page may have a setting or two for aux/music inputs.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

That is definitely not how it supposed to be. Mine can get very loud.
Steve
DA40 XL
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

We had exactly the same issue back when we owned a DA40 -- we couldn't hear the music (especially classical) even with good noise-cancelling headsets. The solution (as suggested by Chris) is to boot the G1000 into Maintenance Mode, and then change the default value for the GDL69A music input to a higher volume level.

I've successfully done this on both my DA40 and DA42.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI