2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marco
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: n920LA
Airports: KOWD

Re: DA40-NG comparrison to DA40-XLS

Post by mbitran »

Just a bit more feedback after owning the NG for 6 weeks. I have about 40 hours thus far in the plane. It has been fantastic so far. Here is the good and bad:

- handling is amazing
- there is a lot of misinformation about climb rate. Full fuel, with myself and a passenger on board, we are climbing out at 950 - 1050 fpm. Keep in mind it's winter, but climb rate has been solid
- I have about 100 hours in the XLT. I think the extra weight in the nose area of the Austro is actually a positive. I find that takeoffs are more controlled, especially in a xwind. Otherwise the planes handle and feel very similarly.
- The engine is very smooth and quiet. We did have an issue with an ECU failure right out of the box. But that was repaired with a prop governor adjustment (plane was down for a day) and was covered by warranty.
- Fuel economy is insane --- I feel like I'm flying a Prius. It never needs fuel...

I am sharing the plane with two other member/renters. So far so good.

If anyone is curious about certain aspects of the plane - feel free to inquire.
ZAV
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

Post by ZAV »

Thanks for the information. I would definitely be interested in the maintenance cost over time compared to the Lycoming DA40. My own run at the numbers I could find or estimate showed that any fuel cost savings were quickly overshadowed by ongoing and recurring maintenance costs. I personally don’t have easy access to anyone comfortable with maintenance on the Austro engine so ferry costs had to be included in that calculation.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

mbitran wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:06 pm
- there is a lot of misinformation about climb rate. Full fuel, with myself and a passenger on board, we are climbing out at 950 - 1050 fpm. Keep in mind it's winter, but climb rate has been solid

- Fuel economy is insane --- I feel like I'm flying a Prius. It never needs fuel...
My experience after about 400hrs with the NG is that it performs very close to the AFM. I'd be surprise to see 950-1050 for an entire climb from SL to 10,000'.

Fuel economy is definitely disorienting. I am sometimes embarrassed to ask them to bring out the Jet-A truck and then buy only 15-20 gallons, less than 10gal per side.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Boatguy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:45 am
mbitran wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:06 pm

My experience after about 400hrs with the NG is that it performs very close to the AFM. I'd be surprise to see 950-1050 for an entire climb from SL to 10,000'.

Fuel economy is definitely disorienting. I am sometimes embarrassed to ask them to bring out the Jet-A truck and then buy only 15-20 gallons, less than 10gal per side.
Yeah, when refueling a DA40NG after less than an hour flight, I'm also embarrassed to have them drive out in a huge JetA truck. Sometimes I think the truck burns more diesel fuel refueling the 40NG, than the JetA fuel it's putting into the plane! :D
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI