5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Non-WAAS G1000 -- ADS-B Future

Post by Colin »

I might have excitedly mis-read the ForeFlight information. Maybe they meant they were going to display the weather and traffic on it (unnecessary for me since I love my Stratus 2s).
small product entrepreneurial idea
One of the things I have learned about aviation is that the market is too small to start small businesses.

But I think someone could design a house and some instructions for 3d printing a solution.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Kyle
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kyle
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N283DS
Airports: KNEW

Post by Kyle »

Colin,
I can confirm that the GTX345 bluetooth connection does not support flight plan transfer, it just makes the same ADS-B data available on the iPad that you would get from a Stratus. (including airmets/sigmets/pireps that can't be seen on the G1000) I'm told you need to get the Flightstream to have flight plan transfer capabilities. I'm not sure if this is something that could be added in a later firmware update though. Of course, you have to be able to connect to the bluetooth from the front of the plane first...

Robert,
That's a good idea on the bluetooth range extender, I may have to look into that if Garmin doesn't offer any other solution.

Does anyone else have the GTX345R installed yet? If so, do you have the same problem with the bluetooth connection?
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

Kyle-

You wrote "The NEXRAD, METARs, TAFs, and traffic on the MFD all work well.". Are you getting the weather thru XM or ADS-B? It's my understanding (from Garmin) the non-WAAS G1000 will not display ADS-B weather.

Thanks,

Tim
Kyle
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kyle
Aircraft Registration: N283DS
Airports: KNEW

Post by Kyle »

Tim,

The weather is all ADS-B as I do not have XM installed. My DA40 has the WAAS G1000 with the latest software versions available. I am not sure if the weather works on non-WAAS G1000s. I believe I do recall reading that the software version available for the non-WAAS G1000 may not support the weather functions. I know if you go the Garmin website the GTX345 spec sheets show what software versions are required for weather and traffic in.
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

Next week my annual starts on non WAAS 2004 DA40. Having the GTX345R installed.

I saw some talk earlier of internal vs external GPS antenna. My shop showed me STC which requires external. They are swapping top nav/com for a combo nav/com/GPS.

They also told me in writing that if the bluetooth does not work they will have Garmin give me a flight link at their cost so that the advertised iPad/foreflight connection works so that I can have the WX.

I'll keep you posted.

Incidentally regarding the FAA rebate I currently use a portable ADS-B Out (SkyGuardTWX) transmitter so my plane shows as ineligible. I had to send a photo of the unit to the FAA for them to confirm I did not already have a certified installed unit. Takes them 7 days to render a decision on that so hope the 20,000 rebates do not run out in the meantime.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
ricksigler
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: N741DS
Airports: KABQ

Post by ricksigler »

Charles,

Please keep us posted especially with respect to the cost. I'm not jumping in now. I have a non-waas 2007 DA40 and am going to wait. I'm hoping that as the date gets nearer many small plane owners will complain to Congress and get something done about the high cost. $500 is probably less than 10% of the installed cost. I don't think you'll have to worry about the gov running out of the rebates any time soon.

Rick
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Has anybody installed the GTX-345R+GPS (for non-WAAS planes) alongside the GDL-69A (XM)? My shop is quoting some work to install wiring between the GDL-69A and the GTX-345R, and I'm curious if this is required and whether it will affect XM Weather display on the MFD since our G1000 s/w revisions aren't new enough to support the ADS-B weather feeds from the GTX-345R. The only benefit to hooking up the GDL-69A to the GTX-345R that I can think of is possibly having XM Weather available over Bluetooth, but I hadn't heard of that as a feature.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Charles,

I have a 2005 non-WAAS, so I am quite interested in hearing what you had to do, cost, etc. to get the GTX345R+GPS installed. Any updates?

Sandy
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Are you sure that you shop isn't proposing use of a single new antenna for the GDL-69A and the GPS signal needed for the GTX345R with integral WAAS? If so, there will need to be antenna coax wiring from both your GDL-69A and GTX345R transponder to the shared antenna.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

Still waiting to pick it up. The Garmin config tool used for the 345R had a virus so my shop would not use it and Garmin is supposed to get them a clean version tomorrow.

The STC requires an external antenna for the Non WAAS planes to be installed so replacing the top com/nav with a combo com/nav/gps antenna - then no engineering drawings needed from Diamond for a new antenna location. So that comes with some composite work hours because I am going from a 3 hole to a 4 hole antenna.

Per an email from Garmin and the STC and my shop an internal antenna is not allowed as per some prior post where Diamond said it was. I also do not have the GDL69.

There is new wiring between the G1000 and the transponder as well. For the Non WAAS versions with our older G1000 they cannot update the software via the SD slots on the MFD so Garmin provides a config tool that communicates between shop laptop and 345R. That is how Garmin got this all to work on their own STC - so I am told.

I think I am looking at 8-9K at least.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated