smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

Re: Non-WAAS G1000 -- ADS-B Future

Post by smoss »

good luck! Keep us posted. Where did they say the additional GPS antenna would go, and how would the wiring be routed?
Steve
DA40 XL
Kyle
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kyle
Aircraft Registration: N283DS
Airports: KNEW

Post by Kyle »

Thanks. They started this morning and expect to complete the installation tomorrow. The GPS/ADS-B antenna will mount to a bracket that will be epoxied inside the fuselage, to the top behind the aft baggage compartment. I understand the bracket is similar (maybe the same) as the bracket used for the GDL69 antenna.
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

Any more progress notes on your install?
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I just read this on BeechTalk, so they are in the same (similar?) boat:
To be compliant for ADSB out in your G1000 Cessna, Mooney, Cirrus, etc. just get your transponder updated to ES ($1200 or so) and have some wiring added to your backplane. But if you own a Beech the output of you GPS receiver is not compliant for ADSB (Even if you spent $30K to upgrade to WAAS). So you need to buy a new transponder (GTX345 with GPS), add a GPS antenna to you aircraft, change out the transponder connector, rewire the backplane for the new unit. Cost around $10K. However your new GTX345 will not be able to display FIS-B weather or ADSB Traffic on you G1000 display.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Kyle
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kyle
Aircraft Registration: N283DS
Airports: KNEW

Post by Kyle »

The install took the shop 2 full days and several phone calls to Garmin but all seems to be working well after several cross-country trips. Here are my observations:

I believe someone else mentioned this, but I definitely suggest being around when the shop gets to the configuration phase of the install to verify all the transponder aircraft parameters they enter are correct. The voice type and volume of the traffic advisories can also be adjusted to your liking.

The XPDR operation on the G1000 remains the same, the only difference you'll notice is that it always remains in ALT mode.

The NEXRAD, METARs, TAFs, and traffic on the MFD all work well. I've continued to use my iPad with a Stratus 2S for comparison. The weather seems to match and gets updated at consistent intervals. I tend to see more traffic targets on the G1000 than I do on the iPad. I would like to see a way to "Hide Distant Traffic" like Foreflight has as a target that is 30,000 feet above you will show up just like a target at a closer altitude until you zoom in enough that the altitude difference shows up.

My only complaint is regarding the strength of the bluetooth connection. On the ground, I can usually connect with no problems but in the air, I usually can't even pair my iPad (or iPhone) from the front seat, requiring me to continue to use my Stratus for the iPad. I haven't had much of a chance to experiment yet or get the shop to look at but I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed.
HPNAviator
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephen
Airports: KHPN

Post by HPNAviator »

For what its worth my flying buddy was told by a Garmin rep at Oshkosh that the level of electromagnetic protection surrrounding the transponder LRU in the DA40 G1000 card cage in the rear of the plane prevents the Bluetooth signal from the GTX345R from being received by an iPad or iPhone in the front of the plane.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

HPNAviator wrote:For what its worth my flying buddy was told by a Garmin rep at Oshkosh that the level of electromagnetic protection surrrounding the transponder LRU in the DA40 G1000 card cage in the rear of the plane prevents the Bluetooth signal from the GTX345R from being received by an iPad or iPhone in the front of the plane.
If this turns out to be true, all you can do is shake your head in amazement.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

It seems like another antenna, to extend the bluetooth outside the enclosure, would solve the problem.

I think Foreflight is meant to be able to push stuff back and forth to the GTX345R, and I assume that will be via the Bluetooth. It would be a shame to lose that capability.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
HPNAviator
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephen
Airports: KHPN

Post by HPNAviator »

According to the Garmin website the GTX 345R at this time does not support bidirectional flight plan transfer. The Bluetooth supports Weather, Traffic and attitude (via the internal AHRS in the GTX 345) information on the iPad. However as previously noted the Bluetooth antenna is shielded and thus the Bluetooth signal can not be received by the iPad. A non-G1000 DA40 using the panel mounted GTX 345 would not have this problem.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

I can think of a few different kinds of fixes for this. The least complex in terms of regulations would be a Bluetooth range extender mounted (or even placed) in the luggage area. The suitable ones I am familiar with are component pieces that would need to be packed inside a small plastic enclosure along with a battery and switch. Once you were satisfied with the results a more permanent configuration could be worked out. Sounds like a small product entrepreneurial idea for someone.